Fab Five: Five Freshmen who will absolutely see the field this year

View as article

Paul Austria

Premium
So I know this is an entire six days after the spring game went down, but I needed some time to gather my thoughts and I came to a conclusion that we’re in for something special this year. The spring game was the public’s first real look at not only where the team is at overall but also how good the early enrolled freshmen are. Some of them definitely rose the occasion and left a huge impression. So I gathered my thoughts, and here are five freshmen that I see getting plenty of playing time this season.

WR Brian Hightower
The former IMG Academy product had a tremendous performance at the spring game, and while only two touchdowns were recorded through the duration of the game, it’s important to note that Hightower was the recipient of both of them. Using every bit of his 6’3” frame, Hightower had himself a great game with 100 yards on four catches. Wide receiver is easily one of the deepest positions on the team, if not the deepest, and that’s even without Mark Pope on campus, so Hightower leaving his mark this early is a great sign. I expect him to a very dependable receiver this season, especially in the red zone.

DE Gregory Rousseau
So if you guys remember, I was the dumb writer that predicted that Rousseau would probably redshirt this season so he could have time to add weight after arriving on campus at 205-210 lbs. Turns out he didn’t even need a full season to do that. He only needed three months. Rousseau has already added a solid 25-30 lbs. and he’s already a MONSTER as his height and length at 6’6” has already proven to be a handful and more for the Canes’ offensive line to handle in practice. Earlier this month in the team’s first scrimmage, Rousseau was a force, logging seven tackles, four of those for a loss, and four sacks. Then on Saturday, he decided to mess around and add three more sacks. The Canes have tried different options at right tackle but none of them have been able to stop Rousseau this spring. Look for him to get good playing time in the defensive end rotation with Joe Jackson and Jonathan Garvin.

CB Gilbert Frierson
So here’s the deal with Frierson. The defensive back from Coral Gables High (basically Miami’s backyard) was initially recruited as a safety but was moved to cornerback once he started practice. After watching him play corner at the spring game, he definitely has the size, coverage skills, and length to go step for step with almost any receiver. Man that footwork is something. Frierson even got his first taste of the turnover chain late in the first half with an interception. At worst, he’s going to be in the cornerback rotation but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in contention for that other starting cornerback spot opposite Michael Jackson.

RB Lorenzo Lingard
The Orlando, FL product got a good amount of reps during the game, and I definitely saw flashes of what he can be. The former Gatorade Florida Football Player of the Year is very shifty, explosive, and he has that top line speed to pull out a long run at any time, especially once he cuts to the outside. Who knows what damage he could’ve truly caused had the O-Line not have its troubles. The amount of reps getting this season is still kind of up in the air, considering all the talent and depth in front of him. Give it a year and I could absolutely see him battling for a starting spot.

TE Brevin Jordan
Okay, so obviously Brevin isn’t even on campus yet, let alone the spring game, and it may seem weird that I included him in this, but tight end is probably the position that worries me the most. Michael Irvin Jr.’s hands seem to be the most consistently inconsistent thing this spring. Brian Polendey is still a little unproven, though he had 2 catches for 40 yards in the spring game. We all know how much having a depending tight end can help the offense, as they basically act as a second receiver as well as an extra blocker (two things that Brevin does really well). If you haven’t heard yet, Jordan is really good, and ESPN considered him the top tight end in the country for the Class of 2018 for a reason. There’s three things that are guaranteed in life: death, taxes, and Brevin Jordan seeing the field for the Miami Hurricanes this season.

Honestly, there were a few more players that could have easily made this list. Gurvan Hall was making his name known before he went down with an injury. Jarren Williams looked calm and poised in the spring game. He looked like a well-coached quarterback, going through his progressions, and even when the pocket started breaking down, he wasn’t rattled. DJ Ivey even showed flashes of his length and cover skills and he should compete with Frierson for that starting corner spot. Heck, there’s still a lot of talent coming in this summer. But man, forget missing out on Campbell and Surtain. This recruiting class was still a top 5 class and there’s so many guys down the list that WILL make an impact this season. This season is going to be fun to watch, I promise.

Advertisement
Mallory will absolutely see the field. So will Williams, Ivey, Hall among others.
Yeah Mallory is a 3rd Down mismatch on just about any defender out there. He is to small to block but on passing downs I think he will get a decent amount of burn.

Advertisement
Mallory should be redshirted.

Also anyone thinking Mark Pope is not seeing the field this year is out of their mind.

I think everyone was expecting Rosseau to take a shirt this upcoming season but he proved all of wrong

Advertisement
People don't wanna hear it and think our DB class was a failure last year due to surtain and Campbell going elsewhere, but the DBs we signed are thru and thru Miami boys with serious skills. Nice write up but need more than 5 from 2018 to talk about "Fab"

When it's all said and done, Al Blades II, DJ Ivey, Gilbert Frierson, and Nigel Betham will be as good if not better than any other group in country.

**** the ones that didn't want to be here.

First class in a long time where each Freshmen recruit can make an impact in some way. Hopefully these HS kids notice that.

Let's not forget Reed! After watching videos of this kid I am convinced it won't take him long to break into the starting line-up. He will be one of the strongest guys on this team the day he comes in and has a nasty streak. Can and has played both tackle and guard to a very high level, maybe a solution to right guard?

Advertisement
So I know this is an entire six days after the spring game went down, but I needed some time to gather my thoughts and I came to a conclusion that we’re in for something special this year. The spring game was the public’s first real look at not only where the team is at overall but also how good the early enrolled freshmen are. Some of them definitely rose the occasion and left a huge impression. So I gathered my thoughts, and here are five freshmen that I see getting plenty of playing time this season.

WR Brian Hightower
The former IMG Academy product had a tremendous performance at the spring game, and while only two touchdowns were recorded through the duration of the game, it’s important to note that Hightower was the recipient of both of them. Using every bit of his 6’3” frame, Hightower had himself a great game with 100 yards on four catches. Wide receiver is easily one of the deepest positions on the team, if not the deepest, and that’s even without Mark Pope on campus, so Hightower leaving his mark this early is a great sign. I expect him to a very dependable receiver this season, especially in the red zone.

DE Gregory Rousseau
So if you guys remember, I was the dumb writer that predicted that Rousseau would probably redshirt this season so he could have time to add weight after arriving on campus at 205-210 lbs. Turns out he didn’t even need a full season to do that. He only needed three months. Rousseau has already added a solid 25-30 lbs. and he’s already a MONSTER as his height and length at 6’6” has already proven to be a handful and more for the Canes’ offensive line to handle in practice. Earlier this month in the team’s first scrimmage, Rousseau was a force, logging seven tackles, four of those for a loss, and four sacks. Then on Saturday, he decided to mess around and add three more sacks. The Canes have tried different options at right tackle but none of them have been able to stop Rousseau this spring. Look for him to get good playing time in the defensive end rotation with Joe Jackson and Jonathan Garvin.

CB Gilbert Frierson
So here’s the deal with Frierson. The defensive back from Coral Gables High (basically Miami’s backyard) was initially recruited as a safety but was moved to cornerback once he started practice. After watching him play corner at the spring game, he definitely has the size, coverage skills, and length to go step for step with almost any receiver. Man that footwork is something. Frierson even got his first taste of the turnover chain late in the first half with an interception. At worst, he’s going to be in the cornerback rotation but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in contention for that other starting cornerback spot opposite Michael Jackson.

RB Lorenzo Lingard
The Orlando, FL product got a good amount of reps during the game, and I definitely saw flashes of what he can be. The former Gatorade Florida Football Player of the Year is very shifty, explosive, and he has that top line speed to pull out a long run at any time, especially once he cuts to the outside. Who knows what damage he could’ve truly caused had the O-Line not have its troubles. The amount of reps getting this season is still kind of up in the air, considering all the talent and depth in front of him. Give it a year and I could absolutely see him battling for a starting spot.

TE Brevin Jordan
Okay, so obviously Brevin isn’t even on campus yet, let alone the spring game, and it may seem weird that I included him in this, but tight end is probably the position that worries me the most. Michael Irvin Jr.’s hands seem to be the most consistently inconsistent thing this spring. Brian Polendey is still a little unproven, though he had 2 catches for 40 yards in the spring game. We all know how much having a depending tight end can help the offense, as they basically act as a second receiver as well as an extra blocker (two things that Brevin does really well). If you haven’t heard yet, Jordan is really good, and ESPN considered him the top tight end in the country for the Class of 2018 for a reason. There’s three things that are guaranteed in life: death, taxes, and Brevin Jordan seeing the field for the Miami Hurricanes this season.

Honestly, there were a few more players that could have easily made this list. Gurvan Hall was making his name known before he went down with an injury. Jarren Williams looked calm and poised in the spring game. He looked like a well-coached quarterback, going through his progressions, and even when the pocket started breaking down, he wasn’t rattled. DJ Ivey even showed flashes of his length and cover skills and he should compete with Frierson for that starting corner spot. Heck, there’s still a lot of talent coming in this summer. But man, forget missing out on Campbell and Surtain. This recruiting class was still a top 5 class and there’s so many guys down the list that WILL make an impact this season. This season is going to be fun to watch, I promise.

Now you should have known that if you didn't mention everybody you were going to **** some people off. Should have just called it the Fab 23 and wrote something nice about everybody.

EDIT: Better make that the FAB 24. Somebody is bound to come in here pointing out that N'Kosi is still technically a Freshman...

WR Brian Hightower

DE Gregory Rousseau

CB Gilbert Frierson

RB Lorenzo Lingard

TE Brevin Jordan

I keep waiting for someone to ask you how you got to be named after the land of kangaroos.

I keep waiting for someone to ask you how you got to be named after the land of kangaroos.
poker-face-1170x810.jpg

Advertisement
I think everybody saw Rousseau's weight and the 3 star rating and penciled him in as a project. What a pleasant surprise he's been. I look forward to seeing him destroy quarterbacks in the coming season.

Advertisement
Back