expected wins per year

verobeachcane

Recruit
Banned
With the current staff in place, I think 8 to 9 wins per year will be the floor. Mix in a 10 to 11 win season every few years. The frustrating part is we are so close to being a 10 win a year program. Only a few changes in the staff and we would be there. 9 wins a season is the sign of a solid program. Which I think we are at now with the new offense. But **** it kills me to no end to think a couple changes on the defensive side would push us over the top. A new defensive coordinator and LB coach would fix it in my opinion. Athletes alone we are an 8 win team. Lashlee running the O gives one to two extra wins a year. Fix the D coaching and we get to that extra win. Its close guys. Just wish Manny could see it that way. What are your thoughts?

Advertisement
We have to crawl before we can walk.

We play the 15 yard hitch and in route every play. Instead, if we had our backers and safety shoot out to the flat, that would put pressure on our middle backers to run the seams.

The reason our safeties are playing so high MUST be due to the lack of trust in middle backers in coverage. Mind you, we have how many backers that can run? But apparently are dumber than a box of rocks? Crazy.

Last edited:
The floor? We saw the floor last season. 6 wins. Although, with a tougher schedule I could see a 5 win season like Shannon had.

As much as this site convinces each other we rounded a corner, the culture of S. Fl is not what you find in these rural cities. We will see what this team is truly made of after our bowl game. I see a lot of players coming out flat because they are down from the off season high.

The floor? We saw the floor last season. 6 wins. Although, with a tougher schedule I could see a 5 win season like Shannon had.

As much as this site convinces each other we rounded a corner, the culture of S. Fl is not what you find in these rural cities. We will see what this team is truly made of after our bowl game. I see a lot of players coming out flat because they are down from the off season high.
Notice i said with the current staff. Not last year's.

Advertisement
With this schedule and the improvements on the offensive side of the ball, I hoped for 9-2, with a 15% chance at achieving a 10-1. More realistically given our past issues, I expected 8-3, with 7-4 or worse coming as a huge disappointment. I'd say we're on par with the 8-3 given our recent performances, but even 10-1 is still within reach.

How is the defense the big problem, again? I don’t recall the D being the biggest problem at any point the last few years.
in todays CFB, if youre holding teams to under 20 points (p5 teams), youre going to win going away with even an average offense. we need to improve offensively. the d hasn't been perfect and def have room for improvement, but theyre not the big issue. we gotta get better OL play and WR play

Advertisement
How is the defense the big problem, again? I don’t recall the D being the biggest problem at any point the last few years.
Definitely not the biggest (not even close) problem; however, a lot of our Defensive problems were hidden due to the worst Offense we have had, in the last 15 years, and weak competition. The ACC, particularly the Coastal, isn’t exactly lighting teams up like the Big 12 or Pac 12. This year, it’s safe to say this Defense May work against bad teams with their backups but won’t cut it against the Clemson’s of the world.

With this schedule and the improvements on the offensive side of the ball, I hoped for 9-2, with a 15% chance at achieving a 10-1. More realistically given our past issues, I expected 8-3, with 7-4 or worse coming as a huge disappointment. I'd say we're on par with the 8-3 given our recent performances, but even 10-1 is still within reach.
It’s CFB. No team is the same week to week. What the great teams do is find a way to get the W no matter what. Even when faced with adversity. They figure out how to do the small things to win

I might be a bit salty after the UVA win but this is still a 10-1 team. Miami shouldn’t lose to another school on the schedule (yeah, I know, not supposed to use shouldn’t. **** that! I’m using it.)

The crazy part is had Miami played the non-COVID-19 schedule below… Miami‘s 7-0 and headed to UVA this weekend and FSU lurking the week after (with an FSU QB change that makes them a bit more dangerous). This team could have been 12-0 (so I don’t know this bull**** about 9-3…10-2…) with either, a) no idea of the weaknesses lurking and runs into a Clemson Buzzsaw at the ACCCG (as there is no Clemson to expose them in the non-COVID-19 alternate universe), or; b) by going 12-0 Miami learns to win, finds the right WR/OL/LB combos, strengths, play calling and confidence to give Clemson 4Q’s of ****.

• 09/05 – Temple
  • 09/12 – Wagner
  • 09/17 – UAB
  • 09/26 – at Michigan State
  • 10/03 – Pitt
  • 10/09 – at Wake Forest
  • 10/24 – North Carolina
  • 10/31 – at Virginia
  • 11/07 – Florida State
  • 11/14 – at Virginia Tech
  • 11/21 – at Georgia Tech
  • 11/28 – Duke

Advertisement
Definitely not the biggest (not even close) problem; however, a lot of our Defensive problems were hidden due to the worst Offense we have had, in the last 15 years, and weak competition. The ACC, particularly the Coastal, isn’t exactly lighting teams up like the Big 12 or Pac 12. This year, it’s safe to say this Defense May work against bad teams with their backups but won’t cut it against the Clemson’s of the world.
I don’t know any defense can cut it against the clemsons of the world. We have a defense that’s short at LB and DT, which is causing issues, but I’d expect that in the next year or two we’ll be able to see that disrupting D again.

This site thinks we have turned a corner? Lol

If you didn't watch a game of Canes football this year and came on this site, you'd think we were 2-4 or 3-3.

I don’t know any defense can cut it against the clemsons of the world. We have a defense that’s short at LB and DT, which is causing issues, but I’d expect that in the next year or two we’ll be able to see that disrupting D again.
We are short at DT?? News to me.

Advertisement
yet another fire everyone thread.... Let's see how the season plays out before we fire people threads pls

this is an 8 win staff, need to really look at some changes on D staff, unsure if CMD can really take us any further.
team this year looks like were regressing rather than improving which is a concern as this brings up shades of Shannon and Golden.cosidering the turnover in HC's and staff we for better or worse need to keep some continuity to program.
still think CMD was a lazy hire by James..... CMD still has a lot of OJT as an HC ahead

I’m afraid next year has 6-6 written all over it without King or another transfer QB of equal quality. Too many key players will leave early and we are already too thin at those positions.

But if this year is teaching us anything it’s just how important QB play is.

8-3 would be a good season. Need a bowl win tho to maintain momentum on the trail. But remember guys we have a shortened season. 11 games with 12 being the norm but instead of the coastal with fspoo and a crossover we got all ACC opponents with UAB(quality G5). So 10 conference games this year vs 8 on the normal schedule. It is a tougher road this year especially adding Clemson. Think of it as adding Clemson and losing Michigan state. 8-3 this year is probably a 9-3 on the normal schedule maybe 10-2. Nothing easy about only conference opponents. Those gimme games are missed big time for depth development.

Suffice it to say 8-3 this year is a big step in the right direction. Add a bowl win for 9-3 and that’s a great year. Subtract Clemson and put in Michigan state and you got yourself an even better record.

It’s important to remember past history shows us we probably go 2-3 with these last 5 games. The tech schools both beat us last year and they are improved this year. Two great running backs. NC state is well coached and has two solid backs. And it’s on the road. Unc two great backs. Great receivers. Wake is a wild card. Well coached. Very sound on offense.

7-4 is very possible. But so is 9-2. Let’s see where we go

Advertisement
Back