Expectations.

305to954

All American
I rarely start threads..but when I do there are Legendary ( don’t @ me)..but how’s not the time to gloat..but I have honest questions/social experiment that I’d like majority of y’all to give a simple answer put away everything we witnessed This szn..

- record wise what was your expectations?

- defensively, what positions did you worry about coming in?

-offensively, what positions were u worried about coming

- and lastly, flash back to 2018 Dec how did you view the program?

Advertisement
DB27B2C5-28E6-4B37-99B3-DF6D10C66C28.gif

I’ll take the bait - plus I like trivia.

record wise: 8-9 wins. 10 would have been great. We pretty much met my expectations. The blowout to UNC was a very disappointing game though. I would subtract one of our wins for that game

defensively: LB after losing Quarterman and MP. Not that they were game changers but brought a consistency, what appeared to be leadership and comfort. This was a problem this year but could have been worse. Like others have alluded to - the coaches created their own problem here via not playing underclassman, recruiting and injuries.

offensively: OL. No question. After last year how could that not be. While Nelson took a good step - some of the others took backwards steps. (Scaife, Gaynor). I think a better OC masked this OL. Williams transfer helped. I think 3 if not 4 positions should be up for grabs next year. In hindsight the WR group was equally as bad.

dec 2018: they all blend together now. Not sure if Richt had retired by then or that was coming off that huge season? Not even gonna google it. It’s always been the same. Still a ride or die fan tho.

this would be a great @Canes Legacy poll

Last edited:
Advertisement
I rarely start threads..but when I do there are Legendary ( don’t @ me)..but how’s not the time to gloat..but I have honest questions/social experiment that I’d like majority of y’all to give a simple answer put away everything we witnessed This szn..

The only big surprise for me was the UNC blowout.

Linebacker

O line

When Richt announced Bandz/Patke as co-DCs, I figured we were screwed for years to come.

Advertisement
@canesfanmpls do you live in Minneapolis or the Twin Cities metro area? If so great to have another Cane in the area. Years ago when I first came to Mpls I was shocked to find so many Canes fans here esp with the anti-Cane midwest bias that was and still is pervasive in Big Ten country. It may have been a result of Steve Walsh playing QB for the Canes and he went St Paul Cretin High. But I remember going to the Mall of America to watch Canes games in the late 80's and early 90's at that big sports bar they had back then with the humongous screen with the actual stadium seating thats how big that joint was at the time. And that place would be packed with folks throwing up the U and making all kinds of noise.

@canesfanmpls do you live in Minneapolis or the Twin Cities metro area? If so great to have another Cane in the area. Years ago when I first came to Mpls I was shocked to find so many Canes fans here esp with the anti-Cane midwest bias that was and still is pervasive in Big Ten country. It may have been a result of Steve Walsh playing QB for the Canes and he went St Paul Cretin High. But I remember going to the Mall of America to watch Canes games in the late 80's and early 90's at that big sports bar they had back then with the humongous screen with the actual stadium seating thats how big that joint was at the time. And that place would be packed with folks throwing up the U and making all kinds of noise.
Mall of America was like 95 or something. Not in the 80’s. I graduated HS in Bloomington playing hockey in 98. (11 players from my 4 years in HS played NHL). I have some amazing stories of that place being built. Been a Canes fan since about 99. Got big into college football around 16 and was distributing parlay cards in HS. 1999 in college I put one of those old Bernie Kosar sports illustrated posters on my wall and claimed to everyone he was the best athlete ever (he was a laughing point in the pros). Did a lil lookup and found out he played for the Canes. Then realized what a great team they had during those years and at that time. Really got into the Canes then. Been a die Hard fan ever since. Then Ohio St came. I became a die hard after that game. I thought we won. I go to all the gophers games because I love college football. Have travelled to a cpl Miami games. (Saw Golden Miami vs Notre Dame at Soldier) which was one of the worse losses ever.
0BDE9D41-9C6E-4553-9120-FEB703E9F4E8.jpeg

Advertisement
Advertisement
😂😂..turn in ya HW assignment
Ok here goes: I expected us to lose to Clemson and one more game but that it would be close. I expected this for 3 reasons:

1) I had watched King play for previous 3 years at UH and I knew he was not only the best QB we’ve had in awhile but more importantly the best leader we’ve had in awhile.

2) Our schedule was soft with FSU/VT being down and IMO aside from Clemson those should be our only competition in ACC

3)Finally because I’m optimistic delusional Fvcktard.

Defensively my biggest concern was CB because of inconsistency in returning players plus lack of depth. Next was LB because of inexperience then depth.

Offensively my biggest concern was OL. Foolishly I wasn’t as concerned with WR because I thought vets would improve and the Freshmen would get burn.

Lastly, as far as the program I feel we’ve made some improvements but there is still a **** of a long way to go. The recruiting class was the biggest improvement followed by not losing to terrible teams, although I feel that should be a given. But 8-3 is much better than 6-7 with loses to mediocre G5 teams.

I’m disappointed that we continue to look unprepared going into big games. As I said I knew we would lose to Clemson but I thought we would make it more competitive. I feel we shouldn’t be losing to UNC much less getting throttled by them, that’s unacceptable to me. My biggest concern continues to be culture with the continued lack of meritocracy and accountability both for staff and players. I’m hopeful we begin to address that over next several weeks.

- 10-2, which likely would have been our record had we played MSU and GT instead of Clemson.

- I was not at all concerned about the defense. I expected the defense to keep us in games. That's what happened aside from the UNC game.

- I was worried about the OL given that they were one of the worst if not the worst unit in the P5 in 2019. They performed better than expected.

- I feel like we're in better shape entering 2021 than we were entering 2019. In 2018 we lost 4 ACC games. Those losses were not to the better teams in the ACC. The 4 teams we lost to that season averaged 5 losses each. This past season we pretty much ran through the ACC. The two teams we lost to were more talented. In 2018 we lost to teams we had no business losing to given the talent on that roster. I think this year's team was arguably less talented across the board than 2018 outside of King, Phillips and Roche. That team had Travis Homer, DJ Dallas, Jeff Thomas and Lawrence Cager on offense...all of which would have started on this year's team. On defense Gerald Willis and every single player in the back 7 would have started this season. That team underperformed relative to it's talent level. The 2020 team performed at or above it's talent level for the majority of the 2020 season.

God willing King comes back close to 100% next season and we get lucky in the portal I don't think it's unreasonable to expect 10 wins in 2021.

Ok here goes: I expected us to lose to Clemson and one more game but that it would be close. I expected this for 3 reasons:

1) I had watched King play for previous 3 years at UH and I knew he was not only the best QB we’ve had in awhile but more importantly the best leader we’ve had in awhile.

2) Our schedule was soft with FSU/VT being down and IMO aside from Clemson those should be our only competition in ACC

3)Finally because I’m optimistic delusional Fvcktard.

Defensively my biggest concern was CB because of inconsistency in returning players plus lack of depth. Next was LB because of inexperience then depth.

Offensively my biggest concern was OL. Foolishly I wasn’t as concerned with WR because I thought vets would improve and the Freshmen would get burn.

Lastly, as far as the program I feel we’ve made some improvements but there is still a **** of a long way to go. The recruiting class was the biggest improvement followed by not losing to terrible teams, although I feel that should be a given. But 8-3 is much better than 6-7 with loses to mediocre G5 teams.

I’m disappointed that we continue to look unprepared going into big games. As I said I knew we would lose to Clemson but I thought we would make it more competitive. I feel we shouldn’t be losing to UNC much less getting throttled by them, that’s unacceptable to me. My biggest concern continues to be culture with the continued lack of meritocracy and accountability both for staff and players. I’m hopeful we begin to address that over next several weeks.
Clemson turned out just as I expected. They are legitimately the top program in country...yes better than Alabama. I saw competitiveness against Clemson and I think we were prepared at least on defense. Think about that 4th down when Roche almost had the pick. That call was perfect and revealed that we had studied their tendencies. We were one play away from making that a very close game. The interception in the endzone after we forced the fumble was the turning point. Should have been interference and 1st and goal. When Etienne broke it open on the next drive it was over, but until then we were in that game. The main reason we were in that game though is becasue the team played with fire. We didn't see that fire in the final two games for many reasons. I think the team just wore down mentally. I believe Blades' diagnosis took some of the wind out of the team. I also think some of the coaches had covid issues as well which not only robbed us of energy but hurt our preparation. The King injury oddly may have given the team some of that energy. Rather than go in the tank down 21-0 they fought hard to come back and we would've won that game for sure had Wiggins caught that screen.

Advertisement
Back