Expectations

imurcane

Banned
Banned
I figured this would be a good place to talk about the season, and what we expect. I am on record wanting a new voice. Apparently we are not long apart from that. I read some of the game threads. Are we that bad? Is a regional birth the floor or ceiling this year?

Advertisement
It's gonna be some serious growing pains. For one, we need to get healthy with Ruiz at SS so we can free up that DH spot. Hopefully Davison will be an everyday player with Tackett at DH. We will see if the Amditis can grow up quick and Chester and Ruiz can become really good hitters without the lineup protection. Mediavilla needs to be able to settle down.

I don't think we are in as bad of shape as people think, loosing the sticks we have the last couple years hurts for sure and its a roll of the dice with these new guys. one thing im wondering is Bautista was an every day starter (DH) last year and some of these guys have taken his gig. so there is no doubt some of them can play. The freshman pitching was a bit of a let down and if Amditis cant play a full weekend behind the plate Gamez looked pretty good sat.

Pitching will come around and Hammond will help for sure when he gets back. Im not ready to throw in the towel because of 1 bad loss

If you wanted me to be real with you, I'd say it's the worst Miami team from an analytics standpoint since I've been following Canes baseball. I haven't run the numbers for every team since then, mind you, but at first glance it is the worst. I started following the team during the College World Series that Warren Morris did his worst with a guerilla bat. I actually cried when that happened (I was young).

The complete inability to miss bats is going to hurt against good teams. Add to it we aren't special defensively and the inability to miss bats is magnified. Our lineup is pretty awful overall, and I've said that since before the season. We don't have any thump. The attempt at getting it from the Juco ranks generally is a fools errand. I wish we had gone a little more for the BB/K ratio guys since I've shown a real correlation between that and ACC baseball, but power is completely off the map from a statistical standpoint.

This team will make a regional because of all the built-in advantages that it has, but I would consider this season a rousing success if we made a Super. Our ranking is a joke in my mind and based on reputation.

Advertisement
Back