Everything is Backwards at UM

kyle_schick

Redshirt Freshman
The first thing to know, is that this is all based off of the eye test. We arent in the rooms with the coaches and players but at a certain point it becomes pretty clear.

The scheme/philosophy of the defense is to try and disrupt the play in the backfield, and if that doesn't work, to contain it to the inside of the field where the safeties can run up and clean it up. They use the linebackers as a way to occupy blockers so that the safeties can come up unchallenged and with an (ideally) clear lane to make a tackle.

This is why our linebackers dont contribute anything to the game. This is why our defensive line gets gashed by the run. This is why the corners dont know how to leverage the boundaries. This is why we dont cover tight ends. Its getting a sack/tfl or a 10 yard gain contained by the safeties.

They contained our defensive line very well. When the ends went wide and tried to circle in to get the QB, they ran easily inside. When the ends started to play more of a contain, they bounced it outside very well. All season, and the philosophy/scheme doesn't work against the run well. Its not the defensive ends even got outplayed, but the linebackers werent there to help them.

McCloud and Jennings are the 2 starters and are absolutely lost in the sauce. Unfortunately this is by design. They dont seem to know how to run up and plug a gap, or how disengage blockers. They remind me of a cat who is staring at prey and doesn't pay attention to anything going on around them. Countless times you see them either run straight to a lineman or stand still as they're cut down, only to have the runner run past them as they scramble to get back up.

They showed a clip of the Notre Dame linebackers shooting through the gaps and getting clean TFLs. We dont teach that. The coaches dont teach that.

The linebackers also line up in weird alignments that dont put them in position to plug the gaps. We always leave a huge swath of the field open bc we have the striker over there who's not doing linebacker things. All teams have to do is run to the striker side, bc the MLB will be blocked and the other linebacker cant make it over in time.

The coaches teach the hawk style rugby tackling, and have stated the number one thing they look for in defensive backs is ability to tackle. This is why you see so many missed tackles bc they're not being taught to actually hit with force. Like Chaz Surrat did on 4th and 1. The players are taught to wrap and roll instead of hit and wrap.

Manny is also a little dork. An absolute nerd who no mature adult would respect if you met him in real life. Hes out there trying to be "one of the guys." Hes trying to be a players coach and get all the cool athletes to like him. The slip and slide. Wearing matching all-white tracksuits to the game with the players. Turnover chain and TD rings. Sideline dancing. He doesn't instill fear of failure like a father figure should. He never yells at the players or holds them accountable.

Hes also just someone who has failed his way up through the system. He started as some statistics nerd, and eventually scammed his way onto some awful team in a minor role. His past as a stats guy and his obsession with stats leads him to being a gimmicky coach. He doesn't understand playing a fundamentally sound defense bc he wants high sack/tfl numbers. Hes quoted as saying, "How do you quantify that?" It should be alarms going off when a coach quotes stats instead of wins/losses or actual performance. He hides behind his precious numbers, bc to face reality would prove his ineptitude.

It maddens me bc he calls it analytics, and as an actual analyst by trade, it couldn't be farther from the truth. Its statistics not analysis.

He also wants to be gimmicky and like poor leaders has to micromanage. He admitted to not even watching the offense in practice. He just watches his defense executed by all his equally nerdy dork friends. He implements all this unique blitzes that never work, and has his sacred third down packages. This is why we lost the Ivey interception. He had to take a specific player of the field and UNC did sub first. Would that play have gone any different with any personnel set? Would any third down in the entire game have played out any different with any variation of personnel? NO, but he has to have his precious nascar package in.

I could go on ad nauseum about how he begs virus players to come back, and how he should be more of a team manager but it doesn't matter.

The Blake James, Jen Strawley, Alonzo Highsmith, Ed Reed issues.

Hes someone who has peaked in their career. Just like every other coach we've had in recent memory. He will eventually take a job somewhere else and will fade into obscurity like Richt, Golden, Donofrio...Just hang on, bc hes not being fired. Not with the political connections to him, his father and his fathers friends on the BOT.

Everything is backwards at UM.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The first thing to know, is that this is all based off of the eye test. We arent in the rooms with the coaches and players but at a certain point it becomes pretty clear.

The scheme/philosophy of the defense is to try and disrupt the play in the backfield, and if that doesn't work, to contain it to the inside of the field where the safeties can run up and clean it up. They use the linebackers as a way to occupy blockers so that the safeties can come up unchallenged and with an (ideally) clear lane to make a tackle.

This is why our linebackers dont contribute anything to the game. This is why our defensive line gets gashed by the run. This is why the corners dont know how to leverage the boundaries. This is why we dont cover tight ends. Its getting a sack/tfl or a 10 yard gain contained by the safeties.

They contained our defensive line very well. When the ends went wide and tried to circle in to get the QB, they ran easily inside. When the ends started to play more of a contain, they bounced it outside very well. All season, and the philosophy/scheme doesn't work against the run well. Its not the defensive ends even got outplayed, but the linebackers werent there to help them.

McCloud and Jennings are the 2 starters and are absolutely lost in the sauce. Unfortunately this is by design. They dont seem to know how to run up and plug a gap, or how disengage blockers. They remind me of a cat who is staring at prey and doesn't pay attention to anything going on around them. Countless times you see them either run straight to a lineman or stand still as they're cut down, only to have the runner run past them as they scramble to get back up.

They showed a clip of the Notre Dame linebackers shooting through the gaps and getting clean TFLs. We dont teach that. The coaches dont teach that.

The linebackers also line up in weird alignments that dont put them in position to plug the gaps. We always leave a huge swath of the field open bc we have the striker over there who's not doing linebacker things. All teams have to do is run to the striker side, bc the MLB will be blocked and the other linebacker cant make it over in time.

The coaches teach the hawk style rugby tackling, and have stated the number one thing they look for in defensive backs is ability to tackle. This is why you see so many missed tackles bc they're not being taught to actually hit with force. Like Chaz Surrat did on 4th and 1. The players are taught to wrap and roll instead of hit and wrap.

Manny is also a little dork. An absolute nerd who no mature adult would respect if you met him in real life. Hes out there trying to be "one of the guys." Hes trying to be a players coach and get all the cool athletes to like him. The slip and slide. Wearing matching all-white tracksuits to the game with the players. Turnover chain and TD rings. Sideline dancing. He doesn't instill fear of failure like a father figure should. He never yells at the players or holds them accountable.

Hes also just someone who has failed his way up through the system. He started as some statistics nerd, and eventually scammed his way onto some awful team in a minor role. His past as a stats guy and his obsession with stats leads him to being a gimmicky coach. He doesn't understand playing a fundamentally sound defense bc he wants high sack/tfl numbers. Hes quoted as saying, "How do you quantify that?" It should be alarms going off when a coach quotes stats instead of wins/losses or actual performance. He hides behind his precious numbers, bc to face reality would prove his ineptitude.

It maddens me bc he calls it analytics, and as an actual analyst by trade, it couldn't be farther from the truth. Its statistics not analysis.

He also wants to be gimmicky and like poor leaders has to micromanage. He admitted to not even watching the offense in practice. He just watches his defense executed by all his equally nerdy dork friends. He implements all this unique blitzes that never work, and has his sacred third down packages. This is why we lost the Ivey interception. He had to take a specific player of the field and UNC did sub first. Would that play have gone any different with any personnel set? Would any third down in the entire game have played out any different with any variation of personnel? NO, but he has to have his precious nascar package in.

I could go on ad nauseum about how he begs virus players to come back, and how he should be more of a team manager but it doesn't matter.

Hes someone who has peaked in their career. Just like every other coach we've had in recent memory. He will eventually take a job somewhere else and will fade into obscurity like Richt, Golden, Donofrio...Just hang on, bc hes not being fired. Not with the political connections to him, his father and his fathers friends on the BOT.

Hard facts.

Great post.

I can’t validate anything being said about Diaz except that after the 4th game into his tenure, I knew beyond a shadow of doubt that he really did not understand a Champions culture or heart.

Erickson did not understand the Champions culture, he lucked out getting Jimmy’s kids for 2-3 years. Everyone that new a smidgeon about JJ’s days new he left at least two Championships to take the Cowboys job.

Butch knew what it took to build a Champions Culture. He left without getting his Crown, but his team was at the top 2-3 years after he left.

Bottom line is: Diaz is in over his head. Under his direction we will never qualify for College Football Playoffs let alone win the Championship.

I can’t validate anything being said about Diaz except that after the 4th game into his tenure, I knew beyond a shadow of doubt that he really did not understand a Champions culture or heart.

Erickson did not understand the Champions culture, he lucked out getting Jimmy’s kids for 2-3 years. Everyone that new a smidgeon about JJ’s days new he left at least two Championships to take the Cowboys job.

Butch knew what it took to build a Champions Culture. He left without getting his Crown, but his team was at the top 2-3 years after he left.

Bottom line is: Diaz is in over his head. Under his direction we will never qualify for College Football Playoffs let alone win the Championship.
Just curious how did coach e win two championships with Jimmy’s guys in Jimmy only win only one. Here I will help you out Dennis Erickson was as good a game day coach as we have ever had.Jimmy lost the 86 title with the greatest college football team to that point. That was the worst coaching job in a big game in UM history, total mismatch. Had family that played for both guys so I’ll listen to them! Coach E is not appreciated here and don’t go with the he couldn’t recruit Because thad put him in handcuffs.l Trying to make Miami the Harvard of the south. Believe me Dennis had to say no to a lot of guys he wanted to bring the town. Jimmy and Sam got out of Dodge, they saw the handwriting on the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Just curious how did coach e win two championships with Jimmy’s guys in Jimmy only win only one. Here I will help you out Dennis Erickson was as good a game day coach as we have ever had.Jimmy lost the 86 title with the greatest college football team to that point. That was the worst coaching job in a big game in UM history, total mismatch. Had family that played for both guys so I’ll listen to them! Coach E is not appreciated here and don’t go with the he couldn’t recruit Because thad put him in handcuffs.l Trying to make Miami the Harvard of the south. Believe me Dennis had to say no to a lot of guys he wanted to bring the town. Jimmy and Sam got out of Dodge, they saw the handwriting on the wall.
Erickson was the best OF mind we ever had. I'll give him that. But he did take us down a bad path losing the handle on these kids and getting us sanctioned.

Ok Mr. curious, I'm not disputing Erickson's game day coaching, I'm saying he doesn't understand Championship culture. At other schools he never again even sniffed a Top 10 Team, period. Case closed.

Advertisement
OP..that’s a bad post..I don’t care what anyone says that’s a bad post

1609468795333.gif

Ok Mr. curious, I'm not disputing Erickson's game day coaching, I'm saying he doesn't understand Championship culture. At other schools he never again even sniffed a Top 10 Team, period. Case closed.
FYI he was 11-1 at Oregon State in 2000 and finished Fourth in the country which I believe would be in the top 10! Additionally he was voted national coach of the year twice, won 3 Big East COY, 3 PAC 10 COY and he’s in the UM HOF and College Football HOF. Other than these facts you are spot on! I think the case in now closed!

I don’t mean to sound naive, but didn’t Miami have a top 5 defense in nearly every category in 2018? Is it a Baker issue or a Diaz issue. Btw - not saying Diaz isn’t over his head as a HC. No comment on that.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back