MEGA Everything & Everybody Sucks Megathread for Miserable Mopes & Sorry Slurpers (aka The Basura Bin)

Advertisement
you all are overreacting to the tweet.... you need to listen to the actual interview with Mario..

"we are a power spread offense. sometimes we have condensed sets sometimes we have spread sets. we have some tempo plays
we're not a fully committed tempo offense where we're running a play every 12-14 seconds. that's not where we're at right now"

he also repeatedly said that we have to be honest and evaluate what works and what doesn't work.. what worked in the past may not work for us with this personnel...

Why can’t we blame both?

And the players. We can definitely blame them, too.
Right now I'm feeling about 70/30 Coaches/Players as far as blame is concerned. If either had met expectations against MTSU, we would have won that game.

But when you buy the wrong warranty and your used Honda Accord breaks down without coverage leaving you stranded 5 miles from Tootsies and you can't afford the repairs, it's still mostly your own **** fault you bought that POS warranty and a used Honda Accord in the first place. But it's also true that a used Honda Accord will never be a brand new Tesla, no matter how or where you drive it. Choices at the top matter. Performance matters, too.

But we are moving the ball. We're just not getting it in the end zone.
Well in that case you could say the same for MSU where we had 440 yards, but I would argue 367 yards of offense against MTSU (especially when playing from behind) is not really moving the ball considering they allowed 548 to JMU and 590 to UTSA.

Either way, a lot of people seem to think it is an either or - that you have to run an offense like Lashlee or like we are currently doing rather than somewhere in between. Given how much we are paying our coaches and how bad our offense has looked, you would hope they could do something to adapt in the short term even if their eventual goal is the style we are playing now as it is obviously not working with the players we have (and I refuse to believe this is a talent issue when we look lackluster against Southern Miss and get our asses kicked by MTSU).

Advertisement
We would have beaten ATM with Kiffin as HC

giphy.webp

My expectations are low, but my hope is Mario truly wants to win long term (which I believe he does) and will eventually make adjustments to make winning possible. I'm not convinced that he will make the right changes this season, but I hope he and Gattis can figure stuff out and at least make some needed adjustments.
We are hard to watch sometimes, ngl.

There are posters on this site who argue until they are blue in the face about how we "need" power spread, or horizontal principles, more verticality, air raid, etc.

All of this is missing the point. What we need is an OC who has the wherewithal to recognize strengths and weaknesses, and continue adapting the offense to every season, game, and situation based upon personnel (including injuries). Every OC is going to have general principles and preferences, which are fine, but the very good ones can consistently adapt to personnel.

That's what I ask for.

Mario is an Oline coach and is always going to run an offense that shows off his Oline.

Like Kiffen is a QB guy…he runs an offense that shows off the QB.Same with the pirate and a guy like Lincoln Riley.

The HC is always going to lean to what he knows best and all you can do is hope they are open enough to stray a little from what they know to allow their team to be successful.Kind of like OU.Riley always had a great offense but couldn’t stop anyone.Kirby’s a defensive coach and leans more to making sure his offense doesn’t put the defense in harms way and just asks his QB to not turn the ball over and give the other team short fields and score a little and his D will handle the rest.

Then you have a guy like Saban who is a defensive guy and like Kirby it was always about making sure his offense didn’t put the defense in too much trouble and let them win the game for him.THEN SABAN SMARTENED UP and saw that these new offenses could exploit his defenses no matter how many 5* he had on it and he couldn’t win with ball control and he adapted.

Let’s hope Mario at some stage realizes running an offense that takes 15-18 plays and 8-10 minutes to score won’t win much in todays world of quick strike offenses cause if not we will always be in a fight to win a game that we get behind in…

Last edited:
Advertisement
Mario is an Oline coach and is always going to run an offense that shows off his Oline.

Like Kiffen is a QB guy…he runs an offense that shows off the QB.Same with the pirate and a guy like Lincoln Riley.

The HC is always going to lean to what he knows best and all you can do is hope they are open enough to stray a little from what they know to allow their team to be successful.Kind of like OU.Riley always had a great offense but couldn’t stop anyone.Kirby’s a defensive coach and leans more to making sure his offense doesn’t put the defense in harms way and just asks his QB to not turn the ball over and give the other team short fields and score a little and his D will handle the rest.

Then you have a guy like Saban who is a defensive guy and like Kirby it was always about making sure his offense didn’t put the defense in too much trouble and let them win the game for him.THEN HE SMARTENED UP and saw that these new offenses could exploit his defenses no matter how many 5* he had on it and he couldn’t win with ball control and he adapted.

Let’s hope Mario at some stage realizes running an offense that takes 15-18 plays and 8-10 minutes to score won’t win much in todays world of quick strike offenses cause if not we will always be in a fight to win a game that we get behind in…
What exactly did Kirby adapt his offense into? Please continue this rant.

Bottom line is it can still work when players execute. We know we’re not going spread uptempo now so fans stop crying for it. Should we go to a modern offense in Miami? Probably. But we’re not right now with Mario. So get to the game and cheer on the Canes

If you think the collective we are going to the game to cheer 3 and outs due to stubbornness, you have started tailgating early

I don't hate Lashlee or his offense. I hate the things were better with Lashlee. Grass was different not greener.
I think it was greener, but not green enough.

My concern with Mario is even if this style would eventually allow us to play with and hang with the upper tier teams, we look so bad right now that if we don't adapt our play calling for what works with our current players, that the damage being done will severely impact recruiting and then we never get to or at the minimum it is going to delay getting to the level/type of players we need to make that style work.

They had 2 weeks, hopefully they were able to at least adapt a bit. And of course, if the D didn't make some changes it's not going to matter what offense we are running this week.

Advertisement
When is the objective for offense ever to not score? When you have a porous defense you also want to lessen the amount of time they are on the field. You don't want to give the other team more possessions. You shorten the game. You dont set 1 gameplan for the season, you adjust by week, quarter, series.
We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, brother. Never in my life have I ever heard one coach say, "Our offense is our strength and our goal moving forward is to limit the amount of chances they get to score."

What is the tried and true strategy teams employ whenever they are outmanned and are facing a team with a good offense? The coaches always say they're going to slow things down, try to sustain drives, etc. so that they can limit the amount of times the other team has the ball.

You're arguing that when our offense was our strength we should have gone ahead and done that for the opposition.

"Hey, we know our offense is the best unit on the field tonight between both teams, so we're going to slow the game down, limit our chances to score, minimizing the gap between teams. Sound good?"

Like I said, we can agree to disagree if you're seriously saying when your offense is your strength you need to limit their opportunities to score.

**** with the way we execute it’s not a good idea to go tempo at all..but our personnel isn’t made to just sustain drives then they execute in the Green/Redzone..at least that’s what’s been proven through 4 games..Need to find away to get Cheap TDs..that means scheme up and put the D in a bind..I don’t see it..but hey maybe TVD turns back into the best QB in the ACC like The fanbase thought he was

What exactly did Kirby adapt his offense into? Please continue this rant.

Kirby hasn’t adapted .Not sure what you’re reading but I said Kirby runs an offense that is made to not put his defense in too much harms way…🤷‍♂️

Reading comprehension is not one of your strong point I see…

Advertisement
Is the offense we're currently running even a power spread? What is spread about it?

No it is not. We are not running a Power Spread. That is what Bobby Petrino runs. We are running a lame base slow power run game offense. Everything about it is slow, by design. There is nothing Power Spread about this offense

Kirby hasn’t adapted .Not sure what you’re reading but I said Kirby runs an offense that is made to not put his defense in too much harms way…🤷‍♂️

Reading comprehension is not one of your strong point I see…
Ngl I only read last paragraph that's on me.

Advertisement
Back