Evaluating Richt's hires

rayray

Sophomore
Offensive coordinator: himself

This one was bad.

QB coach: his son

This one was bad.

RB coach: Thomas Brown

I have no idea what to say about this one. Seems fine?

WR coach: Ron Dugans

Everyone on this board was aghast that Kevin Beard was not retained. Beard is currently director of player personnel at Toledo. Dugans has stocked his room with 4 and 5 star recruits. Great hire.

OL coach: Stacy Searles

This one was bad.

TE/Special teams coach: Todd Hartley

Essentially unknown when he was hired. Has become arguably the staff's single best recruiter. Special teams were bad this year but probably not really his fault. Baxa seems like a find. Great hire.

Defensive coordinator: Manny Diaz

Practically everyone on this board hated this hire and argued up and down that Manny should be fired all last offseason and as recently as early this season. Rediscovered Miami's identity as a defense and rejuvenated the program as a whole, built a top 5 defense, and now everyone on this board is melting down because he left. Home run hire.

DL coach: Craig Kuligowski

Celebrated by this board when hired, trashed when he left. Helped remold Miami's D line as an aggressive, attacking unit, and left us with top-end studs, though the lack of depth was concerning. A good hire, obviously.

DL coach: Jess Simpson

Everyone on this board wanted Kevin Patrick, who had his D line in the top 25 in havoc rate this season even after losing practically his entire line to the NFL. Would've been a great hire. Simpson's unit, of course, was No. 1 in havoc rate. As a recruiter, helped identify Jahfari Harvey and Jason Blissett as takes long before they were elevated to 4 star prospects. With Bogle, he would bring in a class with both high end talent and depth. Only been one year but seems like a great hire.

OLB coach: Jonathan Patke

People on this board seem to hate him, not sure why. Also, I have no idea what he does. Grade N/A.

Safeties coach: Ephraim Banda

Viewed by many as Diaz's lackey, but his Miami resumé shows that he has coached multiple NFL players, one All-American, and was the lead recruiter on a number of studs. Understands the essence of Miami football. Great hire.

CB coach: Mike Rumph

Most divisive coach on staff. Helped coach a defense that was 9th in passing S&P+ in 2018, though only 54th in passing downs S&P+. Recruiting remains a question, but one way or another his room is stocked with young, elite talent. Good hire.

Strength coach: Gus Felder

Evaluating a strength coach's effectiveness is difficult from the outside, but nobody seems to have any complaints. Good hire.

Results:

Out of Richt's 13 hires, including himself as offensive coordinator, I break them down like this:

Great or good: 8 (Dugans, Hartley, Diaz, Kuligowski, Simpson, Banda, Rumph, Felder)
Bad: 3 (Himself as OC, his son, Searles)
Undecided: 2 (Brown, Patke)

This would give him a roughly ~60% hit rate on hires, which seems pretty good. That said, he is dragging an entire side of the ball down by himself, so that's something.

Ultimately, his record of hires at Miami so far gives me faith that he's going to make a good DC hire, especially if porsters on this board start crying about it, because usually, as this list shows, they have been wrong.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If you hated the Diaz hire, called for his job after the LSU game, but are now miserable to see him go, were you a slurper at any point during that time?

Too positive RayRay, and gives to much hopes of a positive DC hire going forward, like his last 3 - Grantham, Pruitt, and Diaz. Somebody nuke this post, please mods.

Advertisement
Miami hit new lows in futility on offense this year and personnel management was mishandled on epic levels. His hit rate on hires, or whatever you wanna call it is irrelevant.................the bottom line is that the problem is clear and there is no sign of it being addressed. We haven't been a proactive program in years and at this point we're not even being reactive to issues.

Offensive coordinator: himself

This one was bad.

QB coach: his son

This one was bad.

RB coach: Thomas Brown

I have no idea what to say about this one. Seems fine?

WR coach: Ron Dugans

Everyone on this board was aghast that Kevin Beard was not retained. Beard is currently director of player personnel at Toledo. Dugans has stocked his room with 4 and 5 star recruits. Great hire.

OL coach: Stacy Searles

This one was bad.

TE/Special teams coach: Todd Hartley

Essentially unknown when he was hired. Has become arguably the staff's single best recruiter. Special teams were bad this year but probably not really his fault. Baxa seems like a find. Great hire.

Defensive coordinator: Manny Diaz

Practically everyone on this board hated this hire and argued up and down that Manny should be fired all last offseason and as recently as early this season. Rediscovered Miami's identity as a defense and rejuvenated the program as a whole, built a top 5 defense, and now everyone on this board is melting down because he left. Home run hire.

DL coach: Craig Kuligowski

Celebrated by this board when hired, trashed when he left. Helped remold Miami's D line as an aggressive, attacking unit, and left us with top-end studs, though the lack of depth was concerning. A good hire, obviously.

DL coach: Jess Simpson

Everyone on this board wanted Kevin Patrick, who had his D line in the top 25 in havoc rate this season even after losing practically his entire line to the NFL. Would've been a great hire. Simpson's unit, of course, was No. 1 in havoc rate. As a recruiter, helped identify Jahfari Harvey and Jason Blissett as takes long before they were elevated to 4 star prospects. With Bogle, he would bring in a class with both high end talent and depth. Only been one year but seems like a great hire.

OLB coach: Jonathan Patke

People on this board seem to hate him, not sure why. Also, I have no idea what he does. Grade N/A.

Safeties coach: Ephraim Banda

Viewed by many as Diaz's lackey, but his Miami resumé shows that he has coached multiple NFL players, one All-American, and was the lead recruiter on a number of studs. Understands the essence of Miami football. Great hire.

CB coach: Mike Rumph

Most divisive coach on staff. Helped coach a defense that was 9th in passing S&P+ in 2018, though only 54th in passing downs S&P+. Recruiting remains a question, but one way or another his room is stocked with young, elite talent. Good hire.

Strength coach: Gus Felder

Evaluating a strength coach's effectiveness is difficult from the outside, but nobody seems to have any complaints. Good hire.

Results:

Out of Richt's 13 hires, including himself as offensive coordinator, I break them down like this:

Great or good: 8 (Dugans, Hartley, Diaz, Kuligowski, Simpson, Banda, Rumph, Felder)
Bad: 3 (Himself as OC, his son, Searles)
Undecided: 2 (Brown, Patke)

This would give him a roughly ~60% hit rate on hires, which seems pretty good. That said, he is dragging an entire side of the ball down by himself, so that's something.

Ultimately, his record of hires at Miami so far gives me faith that he's going to make a good DC hire, especially if porsters on this board start crying about it, because usually, as this list shows, they have been wrong.

Actually, 63%!

Advertisement
Seeing how Richt has more football knowledge than anybody on this board will ever have, I'd leave it up to him girls.

That preacher has as much experience winning national titles as I do, so if the expectation is national titles then I'd argue that anyone and everyone on this board has as much knowledge on the achievement as he does. They've also left the offense up to him............................................good call. His knowledge is outdated and his ability to adapt is proven zero.

Advertisement
Back