ESPN: 'They're in a deep, deep hole': Inside the 6-year unraveling of Florida State football

Maybe, but we don't play Clemson every year. If FSU is down, what's the marquee game that the head coach sells recruits on? "Come to Miami so we can beat . . . UNC?"
***** Halfass U. I want to beat their lame cheap shot artist team by at least half a hundred every year. I want their sorry fans to boo them and leave the game after the first quarter. I want recruits to laugh at them and tell them to get out of their houses. I want them to use their stadium to host tractor pulls. I want the entire football program to go bankrupt and have to sell their athletic dorms to a developer to put in a strip store. I want old men to reminisce about how when they were little kids they used to be ok but have taken an asswhuppin' from Miami every year for 5 decades. I want the sports media to talk about how great their lacrosse team is at Doak. I want the Seminole Tribe to disown them and attend the games of their real team where they live in south Florida. I want to **** on the grass garden every other year at Doak for the rest of my life. I wish famine, locusts, drought and any other dadgum thing that will hurt their program for the rest of eternity. I'm a Cane and I'm going to act like it.

Advertisement
lol we 7-1 and got people like yea, reading that article reminds me of the Canes. I need y’all to tune in to some FSU games.

After reading this.

Honestly this was all about Jimbos Ego.

What he failed to realized/accept was that FSU didn’t need a $55 million facility to out recruit Clemson.

he was already doing that and winning on the field but somehow in his mind he felt FSU was inadequate.

Clemson needed those things to gain relevance and credibility to recruits that they were serious about football.

FSU didn’t fail to compete because Clemson outspent them.

It was because when he recruited talented players with questionable character that needed to be molded into men.

Instead they saw a coach who wasn’t even that committed to the team and the players followed suit. Looking out for their own self interest whether that be the NFL or partying.

After reading this.

Honestly this was all about Jimbos Ego.

What he failed to realized/accept was that FSU didn’t need a $55 million facility to out recruit Clemson.

he was already doing that and winning on the field but somehow in his mind he felt FSU was inadequate.

Clemson needed those things to gain relevance and credibility to recruits that they were serious about football.

FSU didn’t fail to compete because Clemson outspent them.

It was because when he recruited talented players with questionable character that needed to be molded into men.

Instead they saw a coach who wasn’t even that committed to the team and the players followed suit. Looking out for their own self interest whether that be the NFL or partying.
I don't think Jimbo was necessarily wrong for trying to get better facilities, but you are correct in that is not why they started to falter. Perhaps the facilities would have been an issue down the road, but - as you pointed out - FSU was still out recruiting Clemson when their downfall began. Clearly there were other issues at play.

Some alarming stuff in there but there were also a LOT of parallels to us...

- 7+ years of recruiting QB failures
- hard charging/intense/brusque OL coach that alienated the players and the unit underarchieved
- sense of entitlement in the lockeroom
- players stealing from teammates
- dysfunction at the AD
- Coach's undying loyalty to his assistants
- Corching hires
- Battle to upgrade facilities

some parallels to UM, but the FSU situation is far worse.

however, the one quotation in that article that should give all 'Canes fans pause:

"They didn't want to hear about this family stuff that we build our program on. They didn't care anything about that mess. It was, 'I've got to get mine.'

That's early departure draft declaration day in a nutshell at the Hecht.

Advertisement
I don't think Jimbo was necessarily wrong for trying to get better facilities, but you are correct in that is not why they started to falter. Perhaps the facilities would have been an issue down the road, but - as you pointed out - FSU was still out recruiting Clemson when their downfall began. Clearly there were other issues at play.

what the lesson of UM's upgraded facilities has taught us about the college football world: you don't need the BEST facilities in the country to be a top program. you just need GOOD ones.

for the most part, FSU was good enough to compete. and where they weren't, they had plans to fix it. they didn't need to be alabama or clemson. so i agree, this was 90% jimbo's fault

what the lesson of UM's upgraded facilities has taught us about the college football world: you don't need the BEST facilities in the country to be a top program. you just need GOOD ones.

for the most part, FSU was good enough to compete. and where they weren't, they had plans to fix it. they didn't need to be alabama or clemson. so i agree, this was 90% jimbo's fault

Jimbo wanted SEC Level crap and that wasn't going to happen at FSU. It isn't happening at Miami either. I know a lot of our "Fans" think that the whole point of a University is to win on 12-14 fall Saturdays every year, but that isn't the purpose of higher education. Should you compete, should you do everything you can do to win within reason? YES. But schools like Clemson, LSU, Alabama are examples of schools that actively neglect everything in the pursuit of success in football. Those are schools in which University Presidents are graded mostly on whether the athletic department succeeds, not whether the school is worth a ****.

Jimbo wanted that kind of environment at FSU, and FSU wants to move in another direction. I think that FSU is tired of being the safety school in the state and wants to at least be a legitimate competitor to Miami and UF.

Advertisement
Why don't we get this level of reporting?
I mean last year's collapse would probably be a rich behind-the-scenes story,

We get reporting by press conference

As much as I want to love this and laugh at FSUs demise, reading this just worries me.

It shows just how important the administration and boosters are to successful college football programs. Both of those things Miami seriously lacks compared to the top programs. Even if you start winning if the administration is not 100% in it to win it, it can all go away in a flash
Apples to Oranges, public state school vs small private school. Yes there are parallels for the FB program. UM has to rely on Alumni for ALL its programs and schools. Fortunately we have many venues, Law, Med, Music, Ed, and others, for the alumni to support the university. For a small university we have a diverse, enthusiastic and supportive alumni. Administration is another ball of wax. Here’s the thing though, FSU’s rise to prominence AIN’T **** WITHOUT THE U. We made these ********. Gonna make them again. Just sayin’

I know we hate Florida State, but seeing them so terrible isn’t good for us either.

1. Makes the rivalry game mean nothing

2. Kids that used to go to FSU are now going to the SEC. That continues to build the SEC’s allure as the hands down best conference.

3. Along with point #2, the ACC now only has Clemson as a national team making it look like a weak conference.

A decent FSU is good for a good Miami team.
You make some good points. But it's hard not to love them in the absolute ******* lol. Let's give them a couple of years there for us to savor and then they can be "decent".

Advertisement
inCollage_20201121_002345403.jpg

Jimbo wanted SEC Level crap and that wasn't going to happen at FSU. It isn't happening at Miami either. I know a lot of our "Fans" think that the whole point of a University is to win on 12-14 fall Saturdays every year, but that isn't the purpose of higher education. Should you compete, should you do everything you can do to win within reason? YES. But schools like Clemson, LSU, Alabama are examples of schools that actively neglect everything in the pursuit of success in football. Those are schools in which University Presidents are graded mostly on whether the athletic department succeeds, not whether the school is worth a ****.

Jimbo wanted that kind of environment at FSU, and FSU wants to move in another direction. I think that FSU is tired of being the safety school in the state and wants to at least be a legitimate competitor to Miami and UF.
100% agree and I am pretty sure that they have made leaps and bounds in their rankings.

Another thing the article pointed out that I had never really thought of, FSU's success is still relatively new compared to the true blue bloods of the world. I know we always think of them having it easier than us (they do) b/c they have a larger alumni base, but they came on in the late 80s and had their first title in 1993 - seniors that year are now in their early/mid 50s and that is the first round of students that experienced a championship. I am sure there are other alum that are older and have some money to donate, but they are still newer on the scene than the true blue bloods of college football that have generations of donors to draw from.

They still have it easier than Miami who has a much smaller alumni base, but it does show that they face some of the same headwinds that we do. Now both FSU and Miami do get to counter that by having such an advantage in recruiting, but it makes sense that even they have a hard time coming up with money compared to some of the true blue bloods.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Why don't we get this level of reporting?
I mean last year's collapse would probably be a rich behind-the-scenes story,

We get reporting by press conference
I mean, most of the stuff that they are reporting on is several years and multiple coaching regimes and administrations ago. Hard to get players and coaches to talk about the current regime, especially if they are still part of it.

I know we hate Florida State, but seeing them so terrible isn’t good for us either.

1. Makes the rivalry game mean nothing

2. Kids that used to go to FSU are now going to the SEC. That continues to build the SEC’s allure as the hands down best conference.

3. Along with point #2, the ACC now only has Clemson as a national team making it look like a weak conference.

A decent FSU is good for a good Miami team.
It's very good for us. When they are good it's much harder to recruit. We were hot trash when they won 7 in a row and also a national title and made the playoffs. I'm fine with them staying in the dump.

Advertisement
Back