ESPN might be cut

Advertisement
the fact that they continue to hire the racist, bigot stephan smith and rehired the anti American, bigot and racist Keith Olberman, I barely watch it and I don't pay for it. I don't care if you are liberal or conservative, gun advocate or anti gun, baby killer or pro life....just don't preach it when I am watching my GOD **** CANES!!!!!
Wow.....that sounds like something I might say......but I didn't.

Did you get a warning from mods?

Advertisement
So if I understand this correctly, there are people arguing that monopolies are hunky dory as long as you like their product.

...and if they are reasonably priced.

The downside of monopolies is that (1) since they suppress competition, they have no incentive to invest in their product, and (2) they are able to dictate prices since customers have no other choice.

If the product continues to improve and it is priced fairly, then sure, monopolies are OK. But that's not how monopolies tend to operate.

FYI, ESPN is not a monopoly. They have some national competitors (notably Fox), and I don't believe they own any regional sports networks.

I only watch ESPN for live sports programming and College Gameday for nostalgia in the background. Canes aren’t competing on the national level so I don’t give a **** about the weekday college football live shows...

Advertisement
I don’t watch much of ANY football anymore. Can’t stand to watch a whole game of these sloppy, poorly coached Canes games anymore They just drive me crazy as it’s always just a blooper reel from start to finish. As for the rest of football, it’s the same **** every year and the same teams. Bunch of hootin’ And hollerin’ Rednecks in CFB title games and bunch of frozen, drunk New Englanders in the NFL. Just damned tired of it. BSPN can go to ****.

Incredible, called today to DirecTV and they are putting the blame squarely on ESPN as to why the broadcasting contract hasn’t been renewed.

Advertisement
...and if they are reasonably priced.

The downside of monopolies is that (1) since they suppress competition, they have no incentive to invest in their product, and (2) they are able to dictate prices since customers have no other choice.

If the product continues to improve and it is priced fairly, then sure, monopolies are OK. But that's not how monopolies tend to operate.

FYI, ESPN is not a monopoly. They have some national competitors (notably Fox), and I don't believe they own any regional sports networks.
Yes, there's also CBS sports network. Unfortunately, you'll never see a Canes game on CBS or Fox without ESPN's blessing.

Advertisement
IDGAF who owns it, I don't need anything from the ESPN channel now that the ACCN is on.

I see. Well if everyone's reaction in this thread is about the channel, then I guess you're all right. It kinda stinks and it may die.

But the channel is irrelevant. What matters is the network providing the content. They have tons of content, and now have many dozens of outlets by which to provide it.

ESPN owns the ACC Network. So if anything, you now need MORE from ESPN (the network/company, not the channel).

Advertisement
Back