ESPN: Miami's Inefficient Offense (SIAP)

Advertisement
I think 3 and short and goal line failures have a lot to do with Gus coming in to replace Duke, especially on goal line. He looks like a big back but doesn't run like one. Also, I think we lack true guards. Ours seem to be a little tall for the getting under necessary for goal line.

I think it is more an OL issue. I've been preaching for as long as I can remember that Kehoe-coached lines consistently underwhelm in 3rd and short situations. There have been debates whether it's the zone blocking approach, which may have validity. Regardless, Kehoe lines have almost invariably had this glaring weakness. Last year was typical.

And the worst part is that we had the miracle worker Duke Johnson. He was phenomenal at making defenders miss in the backfield to create something out of nothing. Without him this problem will likely be even more pronounced.

You could be right. I seem to remember historic problems in short yardage, but Art has coached a lot of NC lines for THE U. We have always been big play quick score type of offense -- pass or run. Three years and cloud of dust went out when Howard took over. It you are going to throw a lot, tackles tend to be more important to you. Ball control running needs guards and center more. Different body types fit each of those better. Tall, long arms are great on tackles but if you are trying to get under a 6'1" wide body NT or DT, you need to start a little closer to the ground. I'm not sure exactly what our problem is, but I hesitate to blame there dude with every NC ring we have. Al likes olinemen who play multiple positions. Hard to play tackle at 6'2" or 6'3".

All that aside, last year I cringed every time Duke got us close to goal line and they pulled him and put in Gus. Gus is not a goal line back. The other thing is we have not had a real fullback to run too in years. The fact that we end up in 3rd down so much with all our talent is the question to really ask. Against top team, sure, but everybody? That should not happen.

I firmly believe coaching is our problem. **** it always was. If you want to clean house and get rid of everyone, then okay. But if we are keeping some, Art would be at the bottom of my list of those to fire.

Advertisement
Back