ESPN - Lunardi

Gables Cane

Sophomore
While watching the halftime show during the UNC/UVA game, Reece Davis showed Lunardi's latest bracketology analysis. Miami was one of the last 4 byes (including ND). It made me wonder if we would be out of the tournament had we had lost today.

Thoughts?

Advertisement
I’d have been a little nervous on Sunday for sure. If for no reason other than possibly having to play in the first four on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I think we would have been, but my views don't align with the format. I just see a bunch of teams that were able to play ranked teams all year, ACC didn't afford us that. Teams like Marquette, Texas, TCU, Bama, Memphis and on and on. Although quad 1 wins are quad 1 wins so not sure how we match up.

Stat they just showed, OU has beat 5 ap top 15 teams. The more I look at other teams schedules, the more concerned I get and am convinced we would definitely be out had we lost. I am hoping finishing top 4 in the acc will mean something, even in a down year.

Advertisement
Only miami can continue to win games and yet continue to fall in the brackets. It’s absurd.
ACC being 6th ranked conference is making me sweat. Teams I mentioned above are probably all getting in. If OU wins tomorrow, Big 12 likely to have 7 teams get in, unless they drop ISU out, which seems doubtful since they were listed as 7 seed before today. Alabama was listed as a 6 seed, they are 19-13 so that would seem likely SEC is going to have 6 teams minimum get in. They had Marquette as a 9 before today so that would seem likely the Big East gets 6 teams. Some have Indiana in so likely Big Ten gets minimum 7 teams in, and if Indiana wins tomorrow, that would make possibly 8 in though Michigan losing to them today should eliminate them. That is 26 teams out of those 4 conferences alone.

More I look at the bracketology the more nervous I get that we need a win tomorrow.

While watching the halftime show during the UNC/UVA game, Reece Davis showed Lunardi's latest bracketology analysis. Miami was one of the last 4 byes (including ND). It made me wonder if we would be out of the tournament had we had lost today.

Thoughts?

Do you even understand what he said? Do you know what one the last four byes means? I don’t think you do.

From the remarks to the OP, I don’t think any of the people posting in this thread do. Everyone posting in this thread so far doesn’t even understand the brackets.

This is kind of sad.

Do you even understand what he said? Do you know what one the last four byes means? I don’t think you do.

From the remarks to the OP, I don’t think any of the people posting in this thread do. Everyone posting in this thread so far doesn’t even understand the brackets.

This is kind of sad.
This is a dumb post. It makes me think you're the one who was no idea how bracketology works.

One of the last 4 byes means that in one man's opinion, your team, as of this moment, is one of the last 5-8 teams in.

He could be wrong. He probably won't be wrong by more than a handful of spots, but if he's wrong by 2-3, it means the team is really more like the 3rd or 4th last team in. That means that if there are a handful of bid stealers - which there usually are - the team could be in trouble.

That being said, the odds of Miami making the tournament at this point are probably 95%.

Advertisement
This is a dumb post. It makes me think you're the one who was no idea how bracketology works.

One of the last 4 byes means that in one man's opinion, your team, as of this moment, is one of the last 5-8 teams in.

He could be wrong. He probably won't be wrong by more than a handful of spots, but if he's wrong by 2-3, it means the team is really more like the 3rd or 4th last team in. That means that if there are a handful of bid stealers - which there usually are - the team could be in trouble.

That being said, the odds of Miami making the tournament at this point are probably 95%.

You should never double down when you’re wrong.

Miami is not even in the last four in. They’re in the group above that according to the premise of Lunardi’s bracketology. So your numbers are all wrong.

They literally don’t have to win any other games to get in there at worst as a ten seed. It would be a 10,000 shot to one or greater for them not to make it in. It would have to be some kind of weird combination of circumstances. They have a 99.9999% chance of being at 10 seed, or worst case scenario is they’re a lower than 10. Like a 12. So what?

This is kind of sad.
Such a dumb and unnecessary post. There has been nothing posted that would lead a rational person to the conclusion that anybody here doesn’t understand the brackets. Yet another one that feels so insecure that they need to validate themselves by telling strangers on a message board how much smarter they are than everyone else.

Such a dumb and unnecessary post. There has been nothing posted that would lead a rational person to the conclusion that anybody here doesn’t understand the brackets. Yet another one that feels so insecure that they need to validate themselves by telling strangers on a message board how much smarter they are than everyone else.

OK. Literally every post in this thread proves that no one that’s posted here actually understands the brackets. I mean it’s all right here.

You should never double down when you’re wrong.

Miami is not even in the last four in. They’re in the group above that according to the premise of Lunardi’s bracketology. So your numbers are all wrong.

They literally don’t have to win any other games to get in there at worst as a ten seed. It would be a 10,000 shot to one or greater for them not to make it in. It would have to be some kind of weird combination of circumstances. They have a 99.9999% chance of being at 10 seed, worst case scenario is they’re a lower seed.
Miami is not even in the last four in… after winning yesterday! The OP raised the question of could we have potentially been out HAD WE LOST YESTERDAY. It’s not inconceivable, based on the latest projections, to think we might have been at best nervous, and at worst in some trouble had there been a different outcome yesterday since that would have been a very bad loss. Sheesh, try actually reading the posts before you declare everyone dumb. It really helps

Advertisement
Miami is not even in the last four in… after winning yesterday! The OP raised the question of could we have potentially been out HAD WE LOST YESTERDAY. It’s not inconceivable, based on the latest projections, to think we might have been at best nervous, and at worst in some trouble had there been a different outcome yesterday since that would have been a very bad loss. Sheesh, try actually reading the posts before you declare everyone dumb. It really helps

Another post indicating you don’t understand the brackets. Your first sentence proves you don’t know what you’re talking about. Don’t post anymore you’re embarrassing yourself.

Another post indicating you don’t understand the brackets. Your first sentence proves you don’t know what you’re talking about. Don’t post anymore you’re embarrassing yourself.
This is like banging one’s head against a wall. Can’t blame you for being the way you are. I blame myself for engaging you. Next one on the ignore list…

Advertisement
Hopefully the NCAA will re-evaluate their NET ranking system after this year. We are 5-1 in Quad 1 games, 23-9 overall, top 65 SOS, no Quad 4 losses, and somehow ranked 62 in NET. We are ranked nearly 30 spots below Wake, who we beat twice, finished higher in conference, and we have a stronger SOS with an identical record.

Looneytoons land.

Last edited:

This is kind of sad.
"Last 4 byes" isn't a ringing endorsement. That's why it's a category. Everyone in the thread seems to understand it just fine.

Hopefully the NCAA will re-evaluate their NET ranking system after this year. We are 5-1 in Quad 1 games, 23-9 overall, top 65 SOS, no Quad 4 losses, and somehow ranked 62 in NET. We are ranked nearly 30 spots below Wake, who we beat twice, finished higher in conference, and we have a stronger SOS with an identical record.

Looneytoons land.
You’re spot on here. Any metric that has us even 1 spot behind Wake is a broken system.

Advertisement
Back