ESPN gaming the system to win Emmys

Advertisement

Great rundown of ESPN’s recent messes

I remember in its inception, they showed replays of games from the day before and nations business today. They had some great shows like scholastic sports america. As they got bigger, they got greedier. I honestly don't remember them being so political as a kid. Even shows like sports reporters with Whitlock and William C Rhoden were tactful.

ESPN has become so in-your-face political, even within, that it has eaten itself into destruction. They deserve everything they get. Times have changed and they will never be able put the genie back in the bottle. They are Bud light with a longer lifespan.

Advertisement
I remember in its inception, they showed replays of games from the day before and nations business today. They had some great shows like scholastic sports america. As they got bigger, they got greedier. I honestly don't remember them being so political as a kid. Even shows like sports reporters with Whitlock and William C Rhoden were tactful.

ESPN has become so in-your-face political, even within, that it has eaten itself into destruction. They deserve everything they get. Times have changed and they will never be able put the genie back in the bottle. They are Bud light with a longer lifespan.

I recall exercising my option to work from home back in 2017. I thought it would be cool not having to commute and working from home office while having ESPN on background. This lasted 3 weeks. Nothing but boring, unoriginal, and often marginally educated blowhards like Greenberg, Golic, Stephen A. Myth, Jemelle Hill, Dan LeRetard, Kornheiser, Skip Bayless, Wilson, etc all rambling on same topic of day, all sharing the same PC tripe...just really bad tv....started turning to Florida sports talk and this was even worse...too much Woke and PC stuff, not enough sports talk or highlights.

Last edited:
I recall exercising my option to work from home back in 2017. I thought it would be cool not having to commute and working from home office while having ESPN on background. This lasted 3 weeks. Nothing but boring, unoriginal, and often marginally educated blowhards like Greenberg, Golic, Stephen A. Myth, Jemelle Hill, Dan LeRetard, Kornheiser, Skip Bayless, Wilson, etc all rambling on same topic of day, all sharing the same PC tripe...just really bad tv....started turning to Florida sports talk and this was even worst....too much Woke and PC stuff, not enough sports talk or highlights.
Exactly. People that follow sports religiously get screwed because they dumb down the product to get viewers from different demographics. Also, I think that the people that work for them have felt bullet proof for so long that they can just say whatever is on their mind, and the network has become a media outlet for a political agenda. The pushback has left them shocked and awed and they don't know what to do as their product is dying.

Just like with anything else, DEI ends up D-E-A-D because it doesn't reward being great. People want greatness. The product is not that, and that's why it's dying.

I think the greedier side played a larger role than the political. Agree they were a much needed disruption when they originally launched. Now another disruption is needed. FS1 is better, but lacks originality.

ESPN has to fake it bc their business model is trash. You have all of these ex players with vast knowledge of the game and the execs hire them to play a fantasy role. They push the next big thing. Lebron 24/7, Deion 24/7, etc. They no longer do investigative reporting. Their new version of reporting is sending Sal P. outside of an NFL stadium to ask about player availability 3 times a week.

I know baseball popularity is very low, but the MLB Network is by far the best sports network there is. All of the commentators ask real questions and defer to the ex players/front office guys on analysis. The hot takes are minimal outside of Mad Dog. There is nothing better than Jim Thome, Pedro, and all of those guys breaking down mechanics of hitting pitching and fielding. Entertaining and educational.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I don’t remember exactly but between 07-10ish every sports center had to have a dying kid on it. Idk what made them think sports fans love dying kids but it’s only gone downhill since then.

Like most media it is about clicks and ratings — sports and entertainment. Thus, you tirelessly push LBJ & his son, Prime and his son, the SEC and then you overwhelm the network and internet with mindless blowhards. Reporting goes by the wayside because the network is in business with near every pro league as well as a number of high-profile pro athlete and fronts the money for college football and playoffs. Like it or not, at the moment no sports entity is more powerful.

I don’t remember exactly but between 07-10ish every sports center had to have a dying kid on it. Idk what made them think sports fans love dying kids but it’s only gone downhill since then.

I don't want to make light of this post because kids that are suffering or, worse, dying is indeed heartbreaking.
No one can imagine the pain.
But you're spot on.
Sometimes Joe Sports Fan wants to unwind and forget realities of life to just watch a game and we don't
need to see this sort of stuff on every ESPN show (also, those commercials with the malnourished dogs and cats
shivering in sub-freezing temperatures with Sarah MacLachlin song in background can kiss my culo).

Advertisement
I don't want to make light of this post because kids that are suffering or, worse, dying is indeed heartbreaking.
No one can imagine the pain.
But you're spot on.
Sometimes Joe Sports Fan wants to unwind and forget realities of life to just watch a game and we don't
need to see this sort of stuff on every ESPN show (also, those commercials with the malnourished dogs and cats
shivering in sub-freezing temperatures with Sarah MacLachlin song in background can kiss my culo).
If anyone is making light of it it’s ESPN for including it in between Mossed and sports center top 10. Innocent kids in tragic situations is horrible. But it’s better suited for Oprah or the lifetime network.

Everybody in every field is gaming the system. The difference between right and wrong is often how many people agree with you. If you're in the majority in your business then you can deliver yourself into thinking you're doing things right.

Good company. They are gaming the system to help their employees. I like it.

Advertisement
Everybody in every field is gaming the system. The difference between right and wrong is often how many people agree with you. If you're in the majority in your business then you can deliver yourself into thinking you're doing things right.

Good company. They are gaming the system to help their employees. I like it.
Gaming the system to help their employees. Seriously?

ESPN is full of beta males
Can’t watch or listen
I dont think I’ve seen a sports center in 15 years
And I don’t miss it at all

Gaming the system to help their employees. Seriously?
It’s a big nothing burger, they used fake names to give employees/analysts Emmys because the analyst/personality can’t be eligible for an individual ”on-air” award and an award given to the show they’re on.

So Herbie can win an ”on-air” talent Emmy for himself, but can’t get an Emmy if College Gameday wins an Emmy, which is kinda dumb as most of their shows are carried by analysts/personalities, and I imagine that crew and behind the scenes people do get an Emmy for a show/program.

It’s a big nothing burger, they used fake names to give employees/analysts Emmys because the analyst/personality can’t be eligible for an individual ”on-air” award and an award given to the show they’re on.

So Herbie can win an ”on-air” talent Emmy for himself, but can’t get an Emmy if College Gameday wins an Emmy, which is kinda dumb as most of their shows are carried by analysts/personalities, and I imagine that crew and behind the scenes people do get an Emmy for a show/program.
Yeah, it was brilliant unethical move when as a news organization you’re acting as judge of others. One employee lost his job and another reprimanded, multiple others embarrassed. When your brand is under the gun you don’t need another “nothing burger” adding to the ****-show.

Advertisement
Back