ESPN: Financial toll of coronavirus could cost college football at least $4 billion

Advertisement
College football players are amateurs and don’t deserve any money for their labor. Play for pride and the school colors!

The scholarship, room and board, and free education is enough (even though many don’t graduate)!
Its embarrassing the sham these people have had going on for yearssss! Where else can you have a labor force do what they do and carry an entire dept with EVERYONE pocketing money and funding being diverted to sports that are a net negative like underwater womens soccer. They tell these kids there is no money but the only reason is because they take their billions to float these other "passion projects" WTF..

Its time for somebody to come in swinging and really lay bare. These articles with 4 billion numbers where the players are told they cant work, they need to workout and focus on making more money for them. All these big TV deals, Gate admissions, etc and they dont see ****, guys break their bones, injure their heads and BILLIONS are trading hands but they get none?!

There are 85 scholarship players and the school doesn't make billions. When you work for a company and develop something that gets patented, who owns the patent?

Those players are getting for free something that costs more than most people make in a year. Yes, they should be able to make money off their likeness, but that doesn't mean they're being exploited.

When I work at a company, and I help develop something that gets patented, I can negotiate for a cut of those royalties if my role was large enough.

I actually have the ability to leave said company for proper compensation WHENEVER I want. You know, like coaches, administrators and everyone else not a student athlete is free to do. It's amazing that the labor, the people we are watching, the people whose jerseys we're buying are the ONLY people that can't directly benefit from their own talent.

Your rationale is also the same rationale some people used to justify slavery. "Well, these people get room and board, that's something the rest of us have to pay for, and that's provided". These schools are able to pay coaches millions of dollars, so much that in most cases the highest paid state employee in most states is a basketball or football coach. Yet the guy(or in some cases a girl) who we are actually paying to see is banned from legally taking money for their talent.

By the way, your argument doesn't work in any other field. Everyone doesn't get paid the same to act in a movie, guess no one should get paid. People get paid based on talent and worth. That's how it should work at the collegiate level as well. Guys that are stars are going to get paid more than the guy that is barely on the 2 deep. It's amazing that the same people that love capitalism don't like it when others want to practice it.

Advertisement
When I work at a company, and I help develop something that gets patented, I can negotiate for a cut of those royalties if my role was large enough.

I actually have the ability to leave said company for proper compensation WHENEVER I want. You know, like coaches, administrators and everyone else not a student athlete is free to do. It's amazing that the labor, the people we are watching, the people whose jerseys we're buying are the ONLY people that can't directly benefit from their own talent.

Your rationale is also the same rationale some people used to justify slavery. "Well, these people get room and board, that's something the rest of us have to pay for, and that's provided". These schools are able to pay coaches millions of dollars, so much that in most cases the highest paid state employee in most states is a basketball or football coach. Yet the guy(or in some cases a girl) who we are actually paying to see is banned from legally taking money for their talent.

By the way, your argument doesn't work in any other field. Everyone doesn't get paid the same to act in a movie, guess no one should get paid. People get paid based on talent and worth. That's how it should work at the collegiate level as well. Guys that are stars are going to get paid more than the guy that is barely on the 2 deep. It's amazing that the same people that love capitalism don't like it when others want to practice it.
The only leverage you have in those negotiations is their desire to keep you for potential future developments. Student athletes have the option of leaving early. No difference.
Students can't transfer? That's news to me. My history might be a little rusty, but I don't recall hearing about slaves getting an education and having the option to walk away at any time. The slavery argument gets thrown around a lot by people who don't have a real argument. Slavery was nothing like anything a student athlete goes through. Please show me where students were beaten for failing to perform, then we'll start to talk. Until then, I'll continue to think you're completely ignorant about what slavery actually is instead of some hyperbolic interpretation that you think is a winning argument.
Players should absolutely be able to profit off their likeness. The fact that you could buy a UM jersey with the number 20 on it and Robert Knowles didn't get a penny is a shame. That is absolutely the appropriate place to allow players to profit. But pretending they're slaves who aren't getting tens of thousands in compensation displays a lack of basic understanding of the cost and value of a college education.

Its embarrassing the sham these people have had going on for yearssss! Where else can you have a labor force do what they do and carry an entire dept with EVERYONE pocketing money and funding being diverted to sports that are a net negative like underwater womens soccer. They tell these kids there is no money but the only reason is because they take their billions to float these other "passion projects" WTF..

Its time for somebody to come in swinging and really lay bare. These articles with 4 billion numbers where the players are told they cant work, they need to workout and focus on making more money for them. All these big TV deals, Gate admissions, etc and they dont see ****, guys break their bones, injure their heads and BILLIONS are trading hands but they get none?!
Hey Mr. Downvote, do you honestly think that most schools would keep all the sports they do if it becomes even more of a hassle to deal with? You've already seen UM administrations that though football was more of a headache than it's worth and that was when we were winning national championships.
The smart thing to do is to allow players to make some money off their jerseys, autographs, and image. But going in swinging and laying bare is a great way to get schools to drop sports. There is a way to compensate players, keep them safe, and allow the administration to not see it as a headache that's more trouble than it's worth.

The only leverage you have in those negotiations is their desire to keep you for potential future developments. Student athletes have the option of leaving early. No difference.
Students can't transfer? That's news to me. My history might be a little rusty, but I don't recall hearing about slaves getting an education and having the option to walk away at any time. The slavery argument gets thrown around a lot by people who don't have a real argument. Slavery was nothing like anything a student athlete goes through. Please show me where students were beaten for failing to perform, then we'll start to talk. Until then, I'll continue to think you're completely ignorant about what slavery actually is instead of some hyperbolic interpretation that you think is a winning argument.
Players should absolutely be able to profit off their likeness. The fact that you could buy a UM jersey with the number 20 on it and Robert Knowles didn't get a penny is a shame. That is absolutely the appropriate place to allow players to profit. But pretending they're slaves who aren't getting tens of thousands in compensation displays a lack of basic understanding of the cost and value of a college education.

Student-athletes are almost required to go to college. It is rare for kids to not go, because there are few examples of guys not participating in the cartel and being able to get a chance at the next level. Frankly, the major sports leagues should have their own minor leagues that can take high school graduates. We are prostituting education by allowing some of these kids in, and then we have the nerve to deny them the rights available to every other student on campus.

If a college education is so valuable, why is it that EVERY OTHER KID ON SCHOLARSHIP IS ALLOWED TO PROFIT FROM THEIR TALENT IN ANY WAY THEY SEE FIT? I was on a full tuition ride, no one had the guts to tell me that I couldn't go out and make money off of the talent that got me said scholarship. I knew kids that were talented at music and were banking as session musicians and even in some cases toured with artists during the summer. Guess what? No one threatened their scholarship.

What's even more rich is you pulling the "College Education is more than enough compensation" Card, while not admitting that in most revenue sports, most of these kids aren't really receiving worthwhile educations. You really think someone like Zion Williamson really learned anything from his one semester of showing up to classes at Duke? It was a waste of everyone's time, but Coach K, Nike and everyone else profited, while Zion had to hide what compensation he received. If a college education really mattered, a school like UNC would have been banned from athletics for denying their student athletes the one compensation they should be receiving, a quality education. Instead, the NCAA throws their regulatory weight behind ensuring that a kid doesn't get a free lunch or a some free gear. Even a kid selling their own gear or memorabilia is a problem, but kids leaving without the ability to read isn't. If one looks at the actions of the NCAA and member institutions, it's obvious that education is a secondary goal, revenue maximization is what the organization truly cares about. The easiest way to maximize their revenue is to limit the largest revenue drain on any organization and that is paying the labor force.

Why do you think that players organizing is so dangerous? They know that student-athletes, most of whom are thinly disguised employees would be able to demand and receive compensation for their work and that cuts into the administrators and coaches' salaries. Just remember the following: The whole point of the NCAA coming up with the term student-athlete was to prevent these young people from qualifying for workers compensation if they were seriously injured. It had nothing to do with them receiving an education. In fact, education was never truly considered, hence why grade fixing and whatnot barely draws any notice from the regulatory body.

The best explanation of the NCAA's nonsense I've ever seen came from John Oliver, so I'm including his succinct synopsis of the problem.

Student-athletes are almost required to go to college. It is rare for kids to not go, because there are few examples of guys not participating in the cartel and being able to get a chance at the next level. Frankly, the major sports leagues should have their own minor leagues that can take high school graduates. We are prostituting education by allowing some of these kids in, and then we have the nerve to deny them the rights available to every other student on campus.

If a college education is so valuable, why is it that EVERY OTHER KID ON SCHOLARSHIP IS ALLOWED TO PROFIT FROM THEIR TALENT IN ANY WAY THEY SEE FIT? I was on a full tuition ride, no one had the guts to tell me that I couldn't go out and make money off of the talent that got me said scholarship. I knew kids that were talented at music and were banking as session musicians and even in some cases toured with artists during the summer. Guess what? No one threatened their scholarship.

What's even more rich is you pulling the "College Education is more than enough compensation" Card, while not admitting that in most revenue sports, most of these kids aren't really receiving worthwhile educations. You really think someone like Zion Williamson really learned anything from his one semester of showing up to classes at Duke? It was a waste of everyone's time, but Coach K, Nike and everyone else profited, while Zion had to hide what compensation he received. If a college education really mattered, a school like UNC would have been banned from athletics for denying their student athletes the one compensation they should be receiving, a quality education. Instead, the NCAA throws their regulatory weight behind ensuring that a kid doesn't get a free lunch or a some free gear. Even a kid selling their own gear or memorabilia is a problem, but kids leaving without the ability to read isn't. If one looks at the actions of the NCAA and member institutions, it's obvious that education is a secondary goal, revenue maximization is what the organization truly cares about. The easiest way to maximize their revenue is to limit the largest revenue drain on any organization and that is paying the labor force.

Why do you think that players organizing is so dangerous? They know that student-athletes, most of whom are thinly disguised employees would be able to demand and receive compensation for their work and that cuts into the administrators and coaches' salaries. Just remember the following: The whole point of the NCAA coming up with the term student-athlete was to prevent these young people from qualifying for workers compensation if they were seriously injured. It had nothing to do with them receiving an education. In fact, education was never truly considered, hence why grade fixing and whatnot barely draws any notice from the regulatory body.

The best explanation of the NCAA's nonsense I've ever seen came from John Oliver, so I'm including his succinct synopsis of the problem.

So now the argument is that athletes don't take advantage of the education they're offered. If they're going to be student athletes, then the free pass on classes shouldn't exist and should be enforced.

Allowing players to make money doesn't require the NCAA to be flogged in the public square. Painting the whole system as some sort of bogeyman is a surefire way to guarantee that college sports will disappear. I'd prefer not to see that happen. I'm sure the majority of players would agree with me considering they'll never go to the NFL.

Advertisement
So now the argument is that athletes don't take advantage of the education they're offered. If they're going to be student athletes, then the free pass on classes shouldn't exist and should be enforced.

Allowing players to make money doesn't require the NCAA to be flogged in the public square. Painting the whole system as some sort of bogeyman is a surefire way to guarantee that college sports will disappear. I'd prefer not to see that happen. I'm sure the majority of players would agree with me considering they'll never go to the NFL.

If education truly mattered, the NCAA wouldn't have admission standards that are significantly lower than **** near every school out there. If education was so important, the NCAA wouldn't look the other way as schools steer kids into garbage majors, with the sole purpose of keeping them eligible. If the NCAA truly gave a **** about education, UNC would have gotten the death penalty for what they did. They straight up used an academic department to engage in grade fixing and inflation and everyone knew about it.

The NCAA uses education, because they know bootlickers like yourself will buy it. If the NCAA was truly about education, more of the money made would go back into the institution, not into stupid, self congratulatory athletic facilities that serve no purpose, that the typical student will never be allowed to set foot in. It's amazing how someone like you wouldn't work at the student bookstore for free(Even if you received a scholarship), but you expect a student athlete on scholarship to work a full time job, one that can lead to serious injury for an "Education", an education that is in most cases watered down, and serves as a flimsy fig leaf to deny them rights that the rest of us take for granted.

If education truly mattered, the NCAA wouldn't have admission standards that are significantly lower than **** near every school out there. If education was so important, the NCAA wouldn't look the other way as schools steer kids into garbage majors, with the sole purpose of keeping them eligible. If the NCAA truly gave a **** about education, UNC would have gotten the death penalty for what they did. They straight up used an academic department to engage in grade fixing and inflation and everyone knew about it.

The NCAA uses education, because they know bootlickers like yourself will buy it. If the NCAA was truly about education, more of the money made would go back into the institution, not into stupid, self congratulatory athletic facilities that serve no purpose, that the typical student will never be allowed to set foot in. It's amazing how someone like you wouldn't work at the student bookstore for free(Even if you received a scholarship), but you expect a student athlete on scholarship to work a full time job, one that can lead to serious injury for an "Education", an education that is in most cases watered down, and serves as a flimsy fig leaf to deny them rights that the rest of us take for granted.
Bootlicker?

Advertisement
Back