ESPN: Financial toll of coronavirus could cost college football at least $4 billion

PBJFanatic

Sophomore
As more and more college athletic departments cut sports programs, the financial wreckage due to the coronavirus pandemic is becoming devastatingly clear -- and that's without factoring in a $4 billion loss if the 2020 football season is canceled, a development that would forever alter college-level sports.

University systems have suffered hundreds of millions of dollars in losses thus far, which could grow significantly as decisions are made about whether to return students to campuses this fall.

Link to the article: https://www.espn.com/college-sports...l-financial-wreckage-due-coronavirus-pandemic

Advertisement
College football is a monster.

There’s no way that train ain’t leaving the station.
College football is indeed a financial monster, but there are other industries worth more money that have been locked down. In the grand scheme of things, I don''t believe those in power really care about sports aside from their diversionary properties. If there is a second wave or a resurgence, I don't believe any of this will happen this year. Hope I am 100% wrong though!

College football is indeed a financial monster, but there are other industries worth more money that have been locked down. In the grand scheme of things, I don''t believe those in power really care about sports aside from their diversionary properties. If there is a second wave or a resurgence, I don't believe any of this will happen this year. Hope I am 100% wrong though!

The difference is no one really cares if PF Chang’s stays closed, Delta had to slash its routes or Marriott can only book half its rooms.

CFB is bigger than religion to tens of millions of Americans. It’s not just a financial monster, it’s an emotional one as well.

Advertisement
And this is why there will be college football. Athletic departments won't be able to operate. That and if you take football away from a redneck, the south will rise again.

Rona May cost college football 4 billion? How much has college football saved over the years bye doing as little as possible four the players fore decades?

Advertisement
College football players are amateurs and don’t deserve any money for their labor. Play for pride and the school colors!

The scholarship, room and board, and free education is enough (even though many don’t graduate)!

Rona May cost college football 4 billion? How much has college football saved over the years bye doing as little as possible four the players fore decades?
Well there’s a point that nothing to do with anything. Great contribution to the topic. Just had to get that off your chest?

I wish a college had done "as little as possible" for me. I had to pay my own way and commute. They did give me a grant that paid part of my tuition that helped get me over the finish line and I've been grateful and donated back ever since.

I wish a college had done "as little as possible" for me. I had to pay my own way and commute. They did give me a grant that paid part of my tuition that helped get me over the finish line and I've been grateful and donated back ever since.
Did you play da fooseball and help make them billions?

Advertisement
Did you play da fooseball and help make them billions?
Nope, but I would have jumped at the opportunity and been eternally grateful for the free education, room and board, and the opportunity to compete at the next level.

Nobody owes me anything, therefore I express gratitude to generosity, regardless of motive.

Nope, but I would have jumped at the opportunity and been eternally grateful for the free education, room and board, and the opportunity to compete at the next level.

Nobody owes me anything, therefore I express gratitude to generosity, regardless of motive.
I thought so. Have a good day, friend.

The difference is no one really cares if PF Chang’s stays closed, Delta had to slash its routes or Marriott can only book half its rooms.

CFB is bigger than religion to tens of millions of Americans. It’s not just a financial monster, it’s an emotional one as well.
And symbol of pure America.

Advertisement

Just because you got hosed, doesn't mean that it's okay to hose others. These student-athletes are bringing in billions to these schools, and every one else gets paid above the table, except for the labor. It's stupid. Student-athletes are the only scholarship students on campus that can't legally make money off of their talent while being on scholarship. Music students can go out and record an album if they want and make money. Kids like me on academic rides can tutor, can do whatever the F they want without anyone caring. College athletics are a cartel, an affront to free enterprise. Then again when you have adults taking the side of billionaires instead of the people that are actually making the money(MLB), you know what kind of dumbass society we have. It makes sense why the billionaires feel comfortable, they know the typical person is just like you. Someone that has no problem getting screwed over, as long as others receive the same crappy deal.

Just because you got hosed, doesn't mean that it's okay to hose others. These student-athletes are bringing in billions to these schools, and every one else gets paid above the table, except for the labor. It's stupid. Student-athletes are the only scholarship students on campus that can't legally make money off of their talent while being on scholarship. Music students can go out and record an album if they want and make money. Kids like me on academic rides can tutor, can do whatever the F they want without anyone caring. College athletics are a cartel, an affront to free enterprise. Then again when you have adults taking the side of billionaires instead of the people that are actually making the money(MLB), you know what kind of dumbass society we have. It makes sense why the billionaires feel comfortable, they know the typical person is just like you. Someone that has no problem getting screwed over, as long as others receive the same crappy deal.
There are 85 scholarship players and the school doesn't make billions. When you work for a company and develop something that gets patented, who owns the patent?

Those players are getting for free something that costs more than most people make in a year. Yes, they should be able to make money off their likeness, but that doesn't mean they're being exploited.

College football is a monster.

There’s no way that train ain’t leaving the station.
Disagree, respectfully. The train might leave the station, but it might be missing most of its cars.

A lot of schools may use this as their excuse to bow out. There has been an escalating, if not ridiculous arms race since the mid 2000s between various schools on athletic facilities and athlete comforts. Clemson builds a $150M facility, so now Alabama has to build a $325M facility. And then Texas responds with a $500M facility. And then Alabama responds with a $1B upgrade. And so on.

Meanwhile student tuition continues to accelerate well past the rate of inflation (Baylor $9K per year in 1990, $69K per year in 2017). It's not sustainable. It never was.

games will be played. the more realistic question is about fan attendance. all, some or none.

Advertisement
Back