ESPN CHALK ARTICLE

Advertisement
You would be right if we didn't have any access to data on our road games vs. unranked opponents OR home games, OR if the road results vs. unranked opponents OR our overall record was the same.

Then it would be statistically insignificant, because those results are aligned with results from outside of that data pool.

But without doing the research (because I really don't want to take the time), I'd wager pretty strongly that our records for the above are all better. So, in comparison, that stat indicates we're awful on the road vs. ranked teams. That means something.

Now, how you actually use that is a different story. But let's just say I'm not emotionally invested in either team, or I'm placing a wager based on extremely limited data. You read that stat... who do you think wins the game?

What I think you and others are missing here is that football stats are almost never coin flips (I think who wins kickoffs and fumble recoveries are the only ones even close). There are myriad factors that impact the results -- no different than our prolific history of playing awfully in cold weather. Hence, this stat is a strong predictive indicator, all other things being held equal. That last part it key, because very little else is equal except some of the players, some of the staff, and the colors on the unis.

But to call the stat meaningless is extremely myopic.
While I don't agree that there's nothing to be learned from statistics and that they are meaningless, I don't think statistics like this one have much bearing. At the most, I'd say it shows a trend. But it's correlation and not causation. How many of those away games against ranked teams were we ranked? Given how this recent era has gone, I'd guess not many. So then for a lot of those data points were are talking about games we shouldn't have won. It's just a biased stat that was picked out of multiple other stats. Like the fact that Miami holds a 10-3-1 series edge over UL really doesn't have a bearing on this game because it excludes so many other factors. I just think it's a mistake to look at that specific statistic and make an inference on this game.

Dumb. Indicative of zero knowledge of how statistics work.

Once again, you have no idea what you're talking about. Please let me know when you take stats 101 though!

I agree with you that we have have a culture issue and we play like **** on the road against good teams.

Playing devil's advocate though... I don't think your stats argument holds up. We're talking about a sample size of 26 games.... which is pretty much ****.

A.) That's way too small to tell you anything with confidence... B.) The fact that they picked 26 games doesn't seem random at all, so the sample is probably biased and C.) we're not the same team we were many years ago.

So I say the stats argument is pretty weak, but just on gut instinct I agree with you that there's something broken in Canes culture that we can't seem to win when adversity strikes.

Did you really ask this?

You've never heard the expression "The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior".
Ok, with Manny Diaz as HC:

We're 1-0 against Louisville.
We've set a school offensive record every single time we've played them.
We've never trailed them.
We've outscored them almost 2-1

Advertisement
If you think I'm using that stat to say Miami doesn't win, you're far, far more clueless than I thought. And I NEVER, EVER bet against Miami on principle.

Look at it this way. Of the last 26 posts I've read from you, 23 have been stupid. Without reading your next post, what do you expect my perception will be as to whether it's going to be stupid or not?

Just like Miami football, until proven otherwise, the stat means something.
This post has so much estrogen in it. Are you really this soft?

You've already absolutely said that the Canes are going to lose, so there is no walking that back. And since the stat means so much, Miami will have no chance according to you. Might as well place the bet or it was just you acting like a smart ***?

Ok, with Manny Diaz as HC:

We're 1-0 against Louisville.
We've set a school offensive record every single time we've played them.
We've never trailed them.
We've outscored them almost 2-1

Nice Try. That’s not how it works.

Do you understand the concept of sample size. Do you know what a trend is?

By that logic we should expect Manny to lose to FIU if he played them again.

Nice Try. That’s not how it works.

Do you understand the concept of sample size. Do you know what a trend is?

By that logic we should expect Manny to lose to FIU if he played them again.
Yes I do. That's why they picked since 2005 and not 2000.

23/26 road losses against ranked teams is pretty damning.

While true, that doesn't really mean crap.

Take our good years for example. Fast forward 2 years or thereabouts. Guess what, we have a fantastic road winning percentage against ranked teams. How did we do on the road from that point the next decade?

Last year doesn't matter just like a decade and a half leading up to this game doesn't matter either. It's just a way to take another dump on us when who knows, maybe this is the year we turn it around. We could kill it on the road this year and our road losses against ranked teams doesn't look much better over that timeframe.

Advertisement
I don’t like Cunningham’s accuracy in tight windows (good deep ball thrower though). If we settle down the chaos a tad and close those windows he will force the ball more than a few times
Hard to close the window when our CBs are social distancing from the WRs in the secondary.

Didn't somebody tell 'em that you don't have to in that situation?

Just treat it like a campaign rally.

I'll bet they got their masks on under there helmets.

If he loses the election he becomes our new CB coach....and he come heavy with the bags.

Advertisement
Back