ESPN article on Clemson's Amari Rodgers

troyskiles

[]_[] Forever

That work ethic should serve Rodgers well in his transition to the NFL. Grisham pointed to how Rodgers would catch "hundreds of passes after practice" as an example of him preparing like a pro.

I wonder how many of our receivers are catching hundreds of balls AFTER practice? Prolly zero. That is how you make 77 catches for 1020 yards in a season, men. Hit the **** juggs!!!!

Advertisement
Actually quite a few of a WR’s are on the jugs machine after practice & run routes with the QB’s.

They even did it last year too, Perry used to stayed for a hour-two hours after practice throwing to multiple WR’s, Pope & Wiggs included.

The issue is not that they don’t work on their ability to catch the ball, they’re just not that good at it, because they either lose focus & confidence in game, or they just get physically taken out of a game because they can’t deal with heavy press man bump & run pressure.

Wiggs would get physically beat up by the Corner covering him & he would retreat back into his Turtle shell for the rest of the game, he also isn’t a very adept route runner as is, so once a CB see’s that Wiggs can’t deal with the physicality he’s finished because he’s gonna be all up in his sh*t all game long playing Press man. It’s simply a one on one matchup at that point & in that arena Wiggs doesn't have the mental or physical toughness to deal with it, despite being 6’3 195lbs with 4.4 speed.

Advertisement
Actually quite a few of a WR’s are on the jugs machine after practice & run routes with the QB’s.

They even did it last year too, Perry used to stayed for a hour-two hours after practice throwing to multiple WR’s, Pope & Wiggs included.

The issue is not that they don’t work on their ability to catch the ball, they’re just not that good at it, because they either lose focus & confidence in game, or they just get physically taken out of a game because they can’t deal with heavy press man bump & run pressure.

Wiggs would get physically beat up by the Corner covering him & he would retreat back into his Turtle shell for the rest of the game, he also isn’t a very adept route runner as is, so once a CB see’s that Wiggs can’t deal with the physicality he’s finished because he’s gonna be all up in his sh*t all game long playing Press man. It’s simply a one on one matchup at that point & in that arena Wiggs doesn't have the mental or physical toughness to deal with it, despite being 6’3 195lbs with 4.4 speed.
With T-Rob as the new DB coach and preaching bump-and-run coverage - do you see this helping the WR's on game day as they will be used to the greater physicality from greentree?

With T-Rob as the new DB coach and preaching bump-and-run coverage - do you see this helping the WR's on game day as they will be used to the greater physicality from greentree?
Depends on which WR you’re talking about.

For Harley, Rambo & Key Smith etc., sure, for Pope & Wiggz, not really...

You can’t change DNA in one offseason, if a player has shown ever since they set foot on Greentree that they can’t do something, they’re not going to suddenly figure it out in year 4, yes players do improve over time, but usually not that drastically.

Players don’t go from being below average to above average in one year & they certainly don’t go from being below average for 3 years to all of the sudden above average in years 4 & 5. It just kinda is what it is.

It's possible for anyone that has P5 talent. Miami has been notorious for WR's having breakout junior or senior seasons after being quiet early on.

Hankerson had a big jump his junior year and another for senior year.
Berrios had more receptions senior year than fresh-junior
Hurns basically doubled his stats his senior year
Harley 7 TD's in 20, 3 in 19. 0 17-18.

More press from your own defense in spring and camp will separate the WR's from each other before the games start, but it won't make grown men more physical. Physicality is a choice.

Want to improve your catching? Improve your vision and cognitive recognition.
Tennis ball gun > jugs machine.
Have one X yards away and to the right, one 3X yards away and on the left.
Have someone randomly shoot a ball forcing your eyes to focus on both, then track at different angles and distances to correct gun.
Then work the drill from your back (feet to gun, and head to gun), get to your feet, catch the tennis ball from a random gun.
Then switch which guns is further / closer and start over.

The GOAT Drill would be better time spent than smoking Perry's arm and giving him even worse mechanics.

REAL Agility drills (stay off that stupid ladder) requiring the athlete to see, react, and move

Advertisement
That work ethic should serve Rodgers well in his transition to the NFL. Grisham pointed to how Rodgers would catch "hundreds of passes after practice" as an example of him preparing like a pro.

I wonder how many of our receivers are catching hundreds of balls AFTER practice? Prolly zero. That is how you make 77 catches for 1020 yards in a season, men. Hit the **** juggs!!!!
Agree you get what you put in by our WR results over the years they just suit up and go through the motions as they told everyone they did , sad

Your ending comments re Wiggs, you might as well called him a B *** N. "Retreating back into his turtle shell" and "can't deal with physicality". Why play football then?

Very nice way of saying Wiggins is a pu$$y.

You can’t practice 3 things...
1) Heart
2) Courage
3) Competitiveness
WRs have to be straight dogs to be elite. Guys like Dre, Wayne, Irvin, Moss, Lamar Thomas, Hill Thrill, and even more recently Berrios had all 3. Then there’s the Uber talented guys like Coley and Thomas that just don’t have the mental makeup and lack one or two of the 3. Then there’s guys like Wiggins that lack all 3. Sorry, but no amount of jug time will fix his issues on the field just like you said.
The best thing for Wiggins and Pope would probably be to spar in the boxing ring at a gym once a week all summer. If they stuck with it after the beatings they’d take at first they’d come out more confident and a lot tougher. Press coverage would be a cake walk. That being said, I’d put money on it they’d both give up after two weeks.

Advertisement

The few times I was able to get onto a practice field after practice--and this is back in the '80's--you'd always see a backup QB throwing to some of the younger receivers. And it wouldn't be for a few minutes. I don't know if this was other than using the jugs machine, but these kids did show some interest in spending extra time beyond what was required. One year I stood on the sideline and watched Craig Erickson throwing to some young guys--I do remember Dale Dawkins. Another year, after a pre-Sugar Bowl practice, I watched Gino throwing to some of the young guys. I don't remember who. A couple of years ago a post-practice interview showed N'kosi in the background throwing a lot of balls after practice. I think this was when N'kosi was the backup to Jarren Williams. This seems to be standard. Again, I don't know if this is in addition to work with the jugs machine. But I think it is fallacious to assume that our QBs and WRs don't spend time outside of formal workouts throwing and catching. Maybe it's not enough but I have seen it.

In all the years I can remember, there was one QB on the team whom I remember getting called out by the coaching staff for not devoting extra time. That was Greg Jones, the QB from Miami Edison, who was recruited around '84 or '85. He had a rocket arm, but I do recall an interview where one of the coaches pointed him out as leaving at the end of practice and not doing extra work. It was expected that if you wanted to get ahead you spent the extra time. Needless to say, Greg, who reportedly had the strongest arm on the team (that included Vinny) was not the hardest worker. He didn't last, ended up transferring to WVU where he backed up Major Harris.

I'm sure there are other people on here who know a lot more about the extra work habits of our players. I do think a lot of our players put in extra time; whether it always pays off, I don't know. I do know that not putting in extra time can pay off in being buried on the bench or maybe being pushed to leave.

I said it in another thread but I remember Khalil Jones living with jugs machine. And it helped his hands. But it didn't help the fact that he was stiffer than the tin man and got in and out of his breaks like a tanker stuck in the mud. Amari Rogers never lacked for natural ability. Good for him that he's trying to perfect his craft and putting in the work for the next level, but it's not like if Marshal Few spent countless hours on that jugs machine he'd suddenly be Amari Rogers.

He got 77 catches cause he was the slot in a mickey mouse horizontal offense that designs a lot of quick hitter passes to playmakers in space.

He got 1020 yards cause he's a load after the catch.

Advertisement
Depends on which WR you’re talking about.

For Harley, Rambo & Key Smith etc., sure, for Pope & Wiggz, not really...

You can’t change DNA in one offseason, if a player has shown ever since they set foot on Greentree that they can’t do something, they’re not going to suddenly figure it out in year 4, yes players do improve over time, but usually not that drastically.

Players don’t go from being below average to above average in one year & they certainly don’t go from being below average for 3 years to all of the sudden above average in years 4 & 5. It just kinda is what it is.

Cus D'amato once said, ''Square pegs dont die round."

It's possible for anyone that has P5 talent. Miami has been notorious for WR's having breakout junior or senior seasons after being quiet early on.

Hankerson had a big jump his junior year and another for senior year.
Berrios had more receptions senior year than fresh-junior
Hurns basically doubled his stats his senior year
Harley 7 TD's in 20, 3 in 19. 0 17-18.

More press from your own defense in spring and camp will separate the WR's from each other before the games start, but it won't make grown men more physical. Physicality is a choice.

Want to improve your catching? Improve your vision and cognitive recognition.
Tennis ball gun > jugs machine.
Have one X yards away and to the right, one 3X yards away and on the left.
Have someone randomly shoot a ball forcing your eyes to focus on both, then track at different angles and distances to correct gun.
Then work the drill from your back (feet to gun, and head to gun), get to your feet, catch the tennis ball from a random gun.
Then switch which guns is further / closer and start over.

The GOAT Drill would be better time spent than smoking Perry's arm and giving him even worse mechanics.

REAL Agility drills (stay off that stupid ladder) requiring the athlete to see, react, and move

Nice. I can see how the tennis ball canon would be beneficial, especially in improving quick reflexes and hand-eye coordination. From my amateur’s perspective it makes sense. Especially if combined with catching the football drills, as well.

I've always had the idea that our DBs are the root of our WR issues because of what they (our WRs) can get away with in practice, they can't do the same thing in games.

Advertisement
Back