ESPN 150: JJ #1 Greatest College to Pro Coaches

Advertisement
Only three coaches in the history of the NFL have one both a National Championship and a Superbowl. Jimmy was the first, and large in part left an impact on college football with speedy, smaller d-lineman and trading and drafting in the pros. Coaches still consult him for ideas on how to accrue talent. The second one was Barry Switzer who rode Jimmy's coat tails in Dallas and Petey Carroll. Jimmy, for my money, is one of the greatest minds in the history of the sport.

Advertisement
Where's Cam Cameron?

"Fellas, from the outside looking in, that was a heckuva game!"

Paul Brown won a NC at Ohio State in 1942 and a NFL championship in Cleveland in 1950. JJ was the second coach to accomplish the dual championship, and it took 45 years.

Oh, what could have been if JJ had stayed at The U another decade.

Advertisement
Only three coaches in the history of the NFL have one both a National Championship and a Superbowl. Jimmy was the first, and large in part left an impact on college football with speedy, smaller d-lineman and trading and drafting in the pros. Coaches still consult him for ideas on how to accrue talent. The second one was Barry Switzer who rode Jimmy's coat tails in Dallas and Petey Carroll. Jimmy, for my money, is one of the greatest minds in the history of the sport.

switzer is the cowboys' larry coker.

Advertisement
Paul Brown won a NC at Ohio State in 1942 and a NFL championship in Cleveland in 1950. JJ was the second coach to accomplish the dual championship, and it took 45 years.

Oh, what could have been if JJ had stayed at The U another decade.

"Only three coaches in the history of the NFL have one both a National Championship and a Superbowl."

Paul Brown won an NFL Championship, but not the Super Bowl.

JJ was the first to win a NC and a Super Bowl. One of three.

Nick Saban is a festering pustule on the *** of the Miami Dolphins.

"Only three coaches in the history of the NFL have one both a National Championship and a Superbowl."

Paul Brown won an NFL Championship, but not the Super Bowl.

JJ was the first to win a NC and a Super Bowl. One of three.

I agree. I'm just saying there were NFL championships before the championship game was renamed the Super Bowl.

Advertisement
As a Cowboys fan I just want to pistol whip him at times, yo. Jimmy said fack you Jerry and we haven't won **** since.
Dallas is my team too. What would be better than a Cowboys-Ravens SB... that shiit would be tuff for me... who you pick?

switzer is the cowboys' larry coker.

Opinion of Barry Switzer is one of the great litmus tests in football history. Anyone who knocks him flunks.

Switzer was a combined 4-0 in bowl games against Joe Paterno, Tom Osborne and Bobby Bowden.

That 1995 Super Bowl victory is the most incompetently scrutinized seasons in NFL history. The Cowboys had been dethroned as champion only one season earlier. One year after being dethroned is historically a horrible season. Prior to Barry Switzer, the only head coach in NFL history who had even regained the championship one season after being dethroned was George Halas with the Bears in the early '40s. The only coach who has done it subsequent to Switzer is Bill Belichick.

The simpletons have a habit of picking that dethroned champ to return to glory. I have seen it all my life. Somehow they think it is clever to ignore the defending champion, but to reach back one year prior. It is actually one of the dumbest selections imaginable so naturally it becomes a feature. That's why they think nothing of the 1993 to 1995 scenario.

Besides, how many titles were the Cowboys supposed to win...4 in a row...6 of 7?

Hilarious. Dynasties are short lived in the NFL. The ongoing Patriots are beyond remarkable and the only severe modern exception. Dallas exceeded all logic with 3 in 4 seasons. If they played it out again with the same players and same opposing teams and players, far more likely than not it would be less than 3. Dallas won that 1992 NFC Championship Game at San Francisco only because of a 4-0 edge in turnovers.

some trivia

hank stram won sb IV when his chiefs pummeled the vikings 23-7

he was their HC since they came into the afl in 1960. that was the league and the dallas texans' first year.

but before 1960?

stram was an assistant coach at....The University of Miami

so college asst to nfl head coach to world champion hc

another one

longest d1 team winning streak?

not ucla's 88 in a row or uconn's wcbb whatever that it

it's 137 consecutive matches won from 1957-1964

University of Miami men's tennis

Advertisement
Back