Enos red zone play calling

Well this year is almost more frustrating that Corch Richt last year. But it really isn’t; we are actually somewhat competitive and probably right where we belong considering our youth and lack of talent at key positions.

The Defense is young and it's frustrating that we can't rely on them like the past years but I think they are in position, just missing a lot of tackles. Hopefully this gets corrected soon. Can I blame coaching here, yes because the staff has been here. But truthfully I think the coaching is decent - the players need to step up and their youth is showing.

Offense has improved big time (we can now move the ball up and down the field a little - unlike last year), we just struggle in the red zone bc we can not run or do anything well consistently. You can tell that Enos is all over the place with his play calling down there. He was trying corner fades, reverses on the goal line, wildcats (all just in the red zone).

And the kicking is pathetic. To me that's a direct insult on Richt who had 3 years here and clearly did not value that enough. Now it's on Manny to recruit a kid and imo hire a ST coach but I doubt the latter happens.

I won’t have a strong opinion on Manny until next season. We knew he was inexperienced as HC and this year has shown that. He has also shown he is willing to make sacrifices now for the future. (Sticking with Zion despite his struggles, redshirting McCloud even though we needed him yesterday- just to name a few). Personally this is hard to accept because the coastal is winnable this year with this roster, but I understand why he is of that mindset.

Sorry for that awful analysis, now on to Enos and what I am looking at going forward and would like to know:

I have to credit Enos for his QB development and getting the offense moving. Significant progress from last year. I will take his unpredictability over Jon and Mark Richts stuff any day of the week, so I can’t scream fraud here just yet.

My question for CIS. What is going on with Enos red zone play calling? He is very hard to predict, maybe that’s his style or maybe he is just trying new things out. Maybe it is just harder to throw down there and he doesn’t trust our run game?

This is a few weeks now where we have seen jet sweeps, reverses, options and tosses, back side screens (altho I’m a fan of that play call with this team) and all kinds of gimmick plays. What should he be calling?

Advertisement
You get into the red zone, you do what you're good at. Unfortunately we're not good at anything consistently or even play to play.

My only guess, he's so erratic and makes some horrendous calls at times because of that inconsistency. Nothing works, so let's try this play that nobody will see coming. The double reverse and end around come to mind. You don't run that play if you can't block. Problem is, we will have two or three blocks and one or two whiffs.

Teams just have to play off the ball against us. They know they can get pressure with three or four. A blitz will always get through. As long as they set they play disciplined football, we'll make the mistake and they will capitalize.

This OL would make anyone look bad. I would go into the fun, spread 4 or 5 wide, short passing game then into submission. The shifts and bunch formations are killing us.

Advertisement
GT's defensive line was small and fast, Our OL was bigger and should of been stronger so running sweeps and reverses was flat out stupid. When you are bigger than a team run right at them, it negates speed yet we did not try runs up the middle. Enos offense is for a big slow power team not suited to Miami talent.

Advertisement
Coach enos already is one of those guys who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room, so he thinks its not his fault. He calls clown plays in the redzone, running jet sweeps in the redzone without the option to pass is for clowns! He doesnt know how to set defenses up, to many formations, to much fluff, not enough substance. The problem has been, coach enos already is a better coordinator than coach baker, so his offense has been working in practice cause coach baker is not the right d-co for this team, from day 1 the defense was having problems with this simple offense. Again, coach enos already resume as a playcaller is nowhere near to what coach richt's resume as a playcaller has been, coach richt is a national championship playcaller with 2 heisman qb's on his resume plus matthew stafford.

Here is coach enos main problem, the running game for this team has been their all season, coach enos already doesnt know how to keep a defense off balance once the running game gets going, cam was killing g-tech, why does it take us all day to score points.

As for baker, he's got a run stopping d-line, doesnt take advantage of calling defensive plays once the defense has forced teams in obvious passing situations.

And special teams has been a joke!

He's bad. We don't seem to have a coherent gameplan on offense (or defense) no matter who the opponent is we just willy nilly call plays and hope for the best like a video game. We are not good at anything really on offense, but we certainly don't look to use our weapons correctly either

Enos is terribly overrated. You date a 3 all your life then finally pull a 4 but walk around acting like she’s a dime! Many have done that with this cat. No rhyme or reason to any of his play calls, has zero flow to what he’s doing, and seems to want to see his personal position (QBs) have the stats no matter the cost. Recently our backs have been killing opponents yards per touch yet they aren’t getting any touches inside the red zone! Double reverses, jet sweeps and fades is what this man would rather call! I’d rather they bring back clappy to call the offense than this! He probably was our last good OC

Advertisement
Well this year is almost more frustrating that Corch Richt last year. But it really isn’t; we are actually somewhat competitive and probably right where we belong considering our youth and lack of talent at key positions.

The Defense is young and it's frustrating that we can't rely on them like the past years but I think they are in position, just missing a lot of tackles. Hopefully this gets corrected soon. Can I blame coaching here, yes because the staff has been here. But truthfully I think the coaching is decent - the players need to step up and their youth is showing.

Offense has improved big time (we can now move the ball up and down the field a little - unlike last year), we just struggle in the red zone bc we can not run or do anything well consistently. You can tell that Enos is all over the place with his play calling down there. He was trying corner fades, reverses on the goal line, wildcats (all just in the red zone).

And the kicking is pathetic. To me that's a direct insult on Richt who had 3 years here and clearly did not value that enough. Now it's on Manny to recruit a kid and imo hire a ST coach but I doubt the latter happens.

I won’t have a strong opinion on Manny until next season. We knew he was inexperienced as HC and this year has shown that. He has also shown he is willing to make sacrifices now for the future. (Sticking with Zion despite his struggles, redshirting McCloud even though we needed him yesterday- just to name a few). Personally this is hard to accept because the coastal is winnable this year with this roster, but I understand why he is of that mindset.

Sorry for that awful analysis, now on to Enos and what I am looking at going forward and would like to know:

I have to credit Enos for his QB development and getting the offense moving. Significant progress from last year. I will take his unpredictability over Jon and Mark Richts stuff any day of the week, so I can’t scream fraud here just yet.

My question for CIS. What is going on with Enos red zone play calling? He is very hard to predict, maybe that’s his style or maybe he is just trying new things out. Maybe it is just harder to throw down there and he doesn’t trust our run game?

This is a few weeks now where we have seen jet sweeps, reverses, options and tosses, back side screens (altho I’m a fan of that play call with this team) and all kinds of gimmick plays. What should he be calling?

.....what team U been watching...

Advertisement
Coach enos already is one of those guys who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room, so he thinks its not his fault. He calls clown plays in the redzone, running jet sweeps in the redzone without the option to pass is for clowns! He doesnt know how to set defenses up, to many formations, to much fluff, not enough substance. The problem has been, coach enos already is a better coordinator than coach baker, so his offense has been working in practice cause coach baker is not the right d-co for this team, from day 1 the defense was having problems with this simple offense. Again, coach enos already resume as a playcaller is nowhere near to what coach richt's resume as a playcaller has been, coach richt is a national championship playcaller with 2 heisman qb's on his resume plus matthew stafford.

Here is coach enos main problem, the running game for this team has been their all season, coach enos already doesnt know how to keep a defense off balance once the running game gets going, cam was killing g-tech, why does it take us all day to score points.

As for baker, he's got a run stopping d-line, doesnt take advantage of calling defensive plays once the defense has forced teams in obvious passing situations.

And special teams has been a joke!
GT executed a fake punt because they do not have our talent level, that is how bad teams beat teams with more talent. When you have the better players you do not resort to gimmicks. Everyone knew GT could not defend the rush, that is everyone except ENOS!

GT executed a fake punt because they do not have our talent level, that is how bad teams beat teams with more talent. When you have the better players you do not resort to gimmicks. Everyone knew GT could not defend the rush, that is everyone except ENOS!

You're talking in general and in theory, so let's talk in actual facts, do you think the #8 gaytors at the time(and now #7) thought we had better talent than them after their 1st 3 offensive plays of the season.

In the coaching game the saying goes, " if we can't beat em with our talent on the field you beat people by out coaching and out scheming them."
Check mate✔

How about the screen from inside our own 5?
Just run the ball up the middle and punt.
We were in that position to begin with because Dallas decided not to field GT's punt.
Complete lack of attention to detail and that starts with you, Mandy Diass.

Advertisement
Back