Official Emory Williams - 2023 QB COMMIT

Roman has a nice breakdown of him on YouTube…said it’s 4 star film all day.

Roman is a nice guy and has a good grasp of offensive football and QB play, but if you find a clip of him saying anything remotely negative or **** even neutral about a kid we offered/he broke down, let me know. It'd be the first time I've seen one.

Advertisement
Now that he's on board, I will admit I want to see him start leading his HS team to victory this year. If they lose, they better lose 40-35 or whatever. His OL on those highlights was terrible. But you can't be a Miami Hurricane QB commit throwing to a UGA (or Cane) WR commit as your #1 go-to and not score lots of points in high school. Repeating an 0-5 outing in league play needs one **** of an explanation.

That said, I honestly like this kid's skills and development. He'll never be dual-threat (whereas TVD has some Rivers in him). And his arm is only plus (roughly Brad Kaaya, maybe a little weaker). But he's got great pocket awareness, seems to process the field quickly which is a huge plus, and is accurate even when the pocket breaks down. The recent video's of his footwork drills show he's really working to improve.

We want to see a big leap like we saw from TVD between his Junior and Senior seasons:
Junior: 7 Wins - 3 Losses | 128/224, 57.1%, 1899, 14 Passing TDs, 5 Ints
Senior: 9 Wins - 0 Losses | 123/200, 61.5%, 2260, 21 Passing TDs, 6 Ints

We also need to remember whoever we take in 2023 QB will almost certainly sit bench for 2 years behind Garcia, and only then will be battling it out with Brown. They've got time to develop.

the last UM QB I recall having a terrible HS team/record was Scott Covington out here in Dana Hill ,Southern California...

Yeah I don't think he's a bad prospect, I'm just concerned with the lack of high school production. Maybe it's just my notion of thought, and measurables are a great tool, etc etc...but I really value what you do on the field when it matters. So far, he's performed up to his rank - a mid three star. He's got plenty of time to turn that around, and he's got a pretty **** good WR to do some damage with.

What lack of high school production?

He has a better TD to INT ratio.

He has a better completion percentage.

He just edges him in yards per game as well.

Okay, so the teams record. It doesn't look like he's costing them games by throwing interceptions, he has 3 his entire career to 10 for Rashada.

I don't know the makeup of either team, his teammates, etc. I simply don't care that much.

This isn't an argument for either, I just don't get some statements people utter then it's repeated as fact. Williams has a top 150 receiver, there's 9 other players on offense and that doesn't say what kind of offensive game planning they do. If it's only that one weapon, fine, bracket him and then what do you have?

Advertisement
If yall look at it we actually do need to take 2 QB's yes you can say the portal but we could have TVD leave, then Jake leave in consecutive season. Jacurri has high up side but we don't know if he'll make all the improvements as a thrower to slide in right after when we should have the roster fix in 2024 season. We could just have Jacurri, Williams and a FR. Probably would need to take a transfer in that case. Not sure Mario wants to rely on that moving forward.

Plus this Rashada recruitment as @LeedsCane said becomes personal when it's the Gators. You don't get a chance to **** on their table and say nah. U beat they *** all over the state till they say no mas. FSU already surrendered. Smash both then move on to Bama, UGA etc

“They said if they take two QBs it’ll be the right two QBs, and whatever they do I’m fine with because I’m all about making the program and team better,” Williams said. “I love to compete, and having a good quarterback room raises the standard, you know?”

Tells me everything I need to know about this kid. He might not ever start or play here but he will push guys in practice and be a great teammate. Welcome to the U Emory!
Imagine an 18 year old saying this? In todays world? Awesome

Okay, so the teams record. It doesn't look like he's costing them games by throwing interceptions, he has 3 his entire career to 10 for Rashada.

I don't know the makeup of either team, his teammates, etc. I simply don't care that much.

This isn't an argument for either, I just don't get some statements people utter then it's repeated as fact. Williams has a top 150 receiver, there's 9 other players on offense and that doesn't say what kind of offensive game planning they do. If it's only that one weapon, fine, bracket him and then what do you have?
You just need to watch the HUDL highlights to see that nobody on Williams' team is taking a slant 70 yards for a TD. Makes a big difference on the stat sheet.

Advertisement
Card Game Poker GIF

You just need to watch the HUDL highlights to see that nobody on Williams' team is taking a slant 70 yards for a TD. Makes a big difference on the stat sheet.

Lol
I swear I am not trying to interfere in ya’lls debate here but…

His teammate and UGA commit literally takes a 70 yard slant to the house in the 2nd clip in the highlight tape above lol. The next play he takes an 80 yard bubble screen to the house.

You might want to edit that lol.

I want us to bring in another QB. When have we ever not want to stack position talent? In saying that, I would not count this guy out of any battle regardless of who we bring in. His QB presence is high. When we just started going at him, first thing I noticed is his ball placement. Also remember man saying he using us to get offers from other schools....kid said he committed on the 11th. Moral of the story, lots of people chatting ****.

Advertisement

Better TD ratio?

Lol
I swear I am not trying to interfere in ya’lls debate here but…

His teammate and UGA commit literally takes a 70 yard slant to the house in the 2nd clip in the highlight tape above lol. The next play he takes an 80 yard bubble screen to the house.

You might want to edit that lol.

🤣 Once the shades go on they don't come off.

Advertisement
Ok I am thinking Emory went public today as directed by Mario for strategic reasons.

Milton (Fla.) High School quarterback Emory Williams may have announced his commitment today. But it was a long time coming.

And, in reality, he committed to Miami Hurricanes coach Mario Cristobal all the way back on June 11. He kept it secret until announcing publicly today. “That’s when I called coach Cristobal, said `Coach, I want to commit and be a Hurricane,” Williams said. “I told him I love the culture the way it’s set up, the way the coaches teach, I was very impressed with the coaching and family atmosphere and energy they bring.

“And then came my favorite part, which is coach went crazy, was so excited. That inspired me, makes me want to be the best possible quarterback I can be, do whatever I can to help the program.” He says that includes redshirting or competing to start, being the scout team QB or whatever is needed. “Whatever they have in mind is what I want,” he says. “I’ll compete.”

In the end Williams says he chose UM over USF, and programs like Florida State and Mississippi State were recruiting him hard and indicating an offer could come if he camped there. But he’s all Cane. “I’m fired up, I’m excited to be a Miami Hurricane,” Williams said.

With highly regarded QB Jaden Rashada starting his Miami official visit tomorrow, Williams says his mind won’t change if Rashada also comes on board … or if another UM target Dante Moore wants to be a Cane, either.

“They said if they take two QBs it’ll be the right two QBs, and whatever they do I’m fine with because I’m all about making the program and team better,” Williams said. “I love to compete, and having a good quarterback room raises the standard, you know?”

A final question: Hey Emory, what are your goals at Miami?

“Oh, you know that answer,” he said. “I want to win a championship, bring The U back. I think college football is at its best when Miami is playing its best.”
Everything he said is the exact mentality I want in every recruit

He was very good in 1998. I preferred Covington to Clement.

When we suddenly needed to start one of them their freshman year, it was always going to be Clement. He was so much more polished and further along than Covington, even though Covington had more upside. Scott would have been thrown to the wolves. Once Ryan got that experience and all those QB1 reps, it was going to be really hard for Scott to catch him. I've been saying for years that if neither had been pushed into action so quickly, Covington would have ended up beating out Clement when the time came.

Advertisement
Back