Official Emory Williams - 2023 QB COMMIT

When we hired Mario, he was sold as a recruiting ace with the one slight question mark there being the QB position. The QB coach just came from App St and he may need some adjustment to P5 talent as he isn’t used to recruiting at this level. Gattis is the one guy who has experience and we will see what JJ McCarthy does at Michigan this year.

In general, think the staff has done and exceptional job recruiting the position. We are finalists for both Moore and Rashada and have found an adequate back up in Emory. So I’m not knocking it but just pointing out QB was the one are of question for Mario.
I should have said, “not caring if we whiff on the big name QBs THIS YEAR, and sign Williams…..” update: Fixed it.

Advertisement
The QB coach you are referencing who you said "just came from App St and he may need some adjustment to P5 talent as he isn’t used to recruiting at this level" was LITERALLY a QB coach and recruiter in the ACC for two years just before he got a promotion to OC at App St.

In fact, he was hired at Louisville by a former QB, QB coach, and noted offensive coordinator, Scott Satterfield, who was actually the OC under Mario at FIU.

He is 51 years old and has 2 years of in P5 conference. My point still stands

When we hired Mario, he was sold as a recruiting ace with the one slight question mark there being the QB position. The QB coach just came from App St and he may need some adjustment to P5 talent as he isn’t used to recruiting at this level. Gattis is the one guy who has experience and we will see what JJ McCarthy does at Michigan this year.

In general, think the staff has done and exceptional job recruiting the position. We are finalists for both Moore and Rashada and have found an adequate back up in Emory. So I’m not knocking it but just pointing out QB was the one are of question for Mario.

The QB coach you are referencing, who you said "just came from App St and he may need some adjustment to P5 talent as he isn’t used to recruiting at this level" was LITERALLY a QB coach and recruiter in the ACC for two years just before he got a promotion to OC at App St. In other words, he's recruited exactly at this level before.

In fact, he was hired at Louisville by a former QB, QB coach, and noted offensive coordinator, Scott Satterfield, who was actually the OC under Mario at FIU.

As for you questioning Mario's ability to recruit QB's, and offering the false conclusion that the consensus would agree with you, Mario actually landed quite a few highly ranked QB's in his brief tenure as Oregon's HC, including two 4-star QB's and 5-star Ty Thompson, who would have been the highest ranked QB Miami has landed since Kyle Wright in 2003 if we had gotten him. He was ranked higher than Garcia, and way higher than TVD, and everyone else we've brought in.

The QB coach you are referencing, who you said "just came from App St and he may need some adjustment to P5 talent as he isn’t used to recruiting at this level" was LITERALLY a QB coach and recruiter in the ACC for two years just before he got a promotion to OC at App St. In other words, he's recruited exactly at this level before.

As for you questioning Mario's ability to recruit QB's, and offering the false conclusion that the consensus would agree with you, Mario actually landed quite a few highly ranked QB's in his brief tenure as Oregon's HC, including two 4-star QB's and 5-star Ty Thompson, who would have been the highest ranked QB Miami has landed since Kyle Wright in 2003 if we had gotten him. He was ranked higher than Garcia, and way higher than TVD, and everyone else we've brought in.
It was discussed on this very site that there were two particular wrinkles when it came to Mario outside of some game day blunders. Him picking an OC which I think he answered with a home run in Gattis and two recruiting QBs. Not just based on ranking but actually playing. We don’t know what Ty will turn into, he is definitely a high level prospect. Still it was a point of discussion during and after hiring. In terms of Ponce, look
at who he recruited while at UL. It’s just like Golden when he came over and thought he was still recruiting at Temple. I’m not questioning his coaching acumen just that he may need a second going from recruiting lower level kids to the Moore’s and Rashadas of the world.

It was discussed on this very site that there were two particular wrinkles when it came to Mario outside of some game day blunders. Him picking an OC which I think he answered with a home run in Gattis and two recruiting QBs. Not just based on ranking but actually playing. We don’t know what Ty will turn into, he is definitely a high level prospect. Still it was a point of discussion during and after hiring. In terms of Ponce, look
at who he recruited while at UL. It’s just like Golden when he came over and thought he was still recruiting at Temple. I’m not questioning his coaching acumen just that he may need a second going from recruiting lower level kids to the Moore’s and Rashadas of the world.

Ok but you are conflating things and moving the goalposts to suit your arguments in what honestly feels like a misguided and inaccurate criticism of our staff to me.

Are you talking about Mario's recruiting or evaluating? Because you said recruiting. Now you're changing it to evaluating.

And Like I pointed out, Mario actually brought in quite a few highly ranked QB's, including a guy who would have been the highest ranked QB at Miami since 2003. So recruiting, check. And let's not pretend that we knew the whole story of Mario at UO. He was still building. He was winning and having success while building, but he was still getting it going. So it was a small sample as far as evaluating.

As for Ponce... wait, is it "he may need some adjustment to P5 talent as he isn’t used to recruiting at this level" which is what you said and I replied to? Or are you now trying to completely change the subject to... I don't even know what. No amigo, he doesn't need to "adjust to coaching at the Power-5 level" as he was a Power-5 QB coach, just like he is now, in fact, in the same ACC conference we play in just two years ago. And I guess you are trying pivot a bit, but hew was well-regarded enough at the Ville to get poached for a promotion to an OC job.

How many QB coaches do you think are out there, that have a bunch of experience recruiting and landing 5-star QB's, who are still QB coaches? Very few guys land 5-stars, and those who do usually become OC's pretty quick. I think you're being unfair. As you said, Mario nailed the staff. Maybe give him the benefit of the doubt on Ponce too. Remember Mario's #1 skill requirement is recruiting, recruiting, recruiting.

Advertisement
Ok but you are conflating things and moving the goalposts to suit your arguments in what honestly feels like a misguided and inaccurate criticism of our staff to me.

Are you talking about Mario's recruiting or evaluating? Because you said recruiting. Now you're changing it to evaluating.

And Like I pointed out, Mario actually brought in quite a few highly ranked QB's, including a guy who would have been the highest ranked QB at Miami since 2003. So recruiting, check. And let's not pretend that we knew the whole story of Mario at UO. He was still building. He was winning and having success while building, but he was still getting it going. So it was a small sample as far as evaluating.

As for Ponce... wait, is it "he may need some adjustment to P5 talent as he isn’t used to recruiting at this level" which is what you said and I replied to? Or are you now trying to completely change the subject to... I don't even know what. No amigo, he doesn't need to "adjust to coaching at the Power-5 level" as he was a Power-5 QB coach, just like he is now, in fact, in the same ACC conference we play in just two years ago. And I guess you are trying pivot a bit, but hew was well-regarded enough at the Ville to get poached for a promotion to an OC job.

How many QB coaches do you think are out there, that have a bunch of experience recruiting and landing 5-star QB's, who are still QB coaches? Very few guys land 5-stars, and those who do usually become OC's pretty quick. I think you're being unfair. As you said, Mario nailed the staff. Maybe give him the benefit of the doubt on Ponce too. Remember Mario's #1 skill requirement is recruiting, recruiting, recruiting.
For fvcks sake evaluations are a subset of the bigger recruiting picture. I said Ponce may need time to adjust, I stand by that. He spent 5 years at FIU then was the co OC/QB coach at App St. He then went on to be QB coach at UL for two years, he did so well, so well as you stated yourself, that he went back to App St the next year and was OC/QB coach. A coach who is 51 year and only been at a P5 level may in fact need time to adjust. I brought up Golden because he was at Miami for 5 years and it took him years before he realized that what looked good to him wasn't gonna cut it.

Overall, I say one thing that doesnt have me felating the staff and you called it inaccurate criticism. Once again the QB stuff was a topic of conversation on this very site. I do give the staff the benefit of the doubt and praise their efforts on the recruiting trail in countless threads, but I'm not a yes man and will sometimes say things that the sunshine pumpers freak out over. I even said it was a slight question mark and here comes Karen the Wolf...

Advertisement
Buckle Up Caitlyn Jenner GIF by South Park

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back