Official Emory Williams - 2023 QB COMMIT

Why did Justin Fields transfer? Or Vandergriff? Because Kirby has twice gone with a walk-on game manager over the more dynamic and talented option. I mean Fields was incredible at Ohio State and then got picked in the first round. Kirby went with Jake Fromm and Stetson Bennett because he’s hyper conservative and is scared to let his quarterback win games for him. It’s not like Fields sucked, his coach at Georgia just preferred a lesser player.
Vandagriff has transferred? When and where?

Advertisement
Why did Justin Fields transfer? Or Vandergriff? Because Kirby has twice gone with a walk-on game manager over the more dynamic and talented option. I mean Fields was incredible at Ohio State and then got picked in the first round. Kirby went with Jake Fromm and Stetson Bennett because he’s hyper conservative and is scared to let his quarterback win games for him. It’s not like Fields sucked, his coach at Georgia just preferred a lesser player.
Then Kirby's an anomaly. There's a reason he's trashed every time he's brought up around here.

Fair.

But also, would many of us do extra research or watch extra film if he was a Gator or Nole guy?

I probably wouldn't have found the Elite 11 stuff proving he has top arm talent.

I probably would have found his workouts showing, again, that he can make all the throws with accuracy.

And we wouldn't know, to your info earlier, that he's playing on a weak squad, which explains better why hes unable to put up Dante Moore type numbers.
I hear u and I'm not trying to call you out if its coming off that way.

Advertisement
I thought we were talking about the term "stud transfer". Now if we were talking about Caleb Williams that had a on-the-field history, I would agree.
We are moving goal posts now. The premise of the conversation was a list of QBs from the last decade who won titles. Most were 4 or 5 stars. You came in trying to rationalize/say that while Burrow ended up a star he wasn’t that highly thought of transfer. Reality is he was a 4 star that earned an offer to a top 5 program in Ohio State and then transferred to start at a top 10 program in LSU. He was a 4 star, he was a stud transfer and he is yet another example of how it’s important to stack talent at the QB position.

Segment on Locked on Canes where Donno covers Emory Williams session this weekend. Donno says Larry Blustein has been promoting Williams as a recruit for over a year.

We have a bunch of star chasers on CIS only interested in winning some mythical recruiting championship. I want guys that are committed. Give me the guys that will bleed for and with you.

At this point, I could really care less about Rashada. If Williams has the goods, sign him and keep it moving. I want the best guy that is committed to the program. If Williams outperforms the guys ranked higher than him at the Elite 11 Finals, then what?

You all chasing the Kardashians cause they have more Twitter and Instagram followers, while you have women just a hot if not hotter in your own backyard without all the diva baggage.

Let's keep it 100. Nobody here knows any of these QBs on a personal level. Everyone is just relying on the videos and the recruiting evaluations they read. We don't know what motivates them or what type of competitors they are. Who can you go to war with and who is just a mercenary?

Just look at past recruiting classes across college football. Then look at who the super star QBs are in the NFL.

Here's where the 2021 Top 20 NFL QBs ranked going into college.

1. Tom Brady, N/A

2. Aaron Rodgers, 3-star, #2 Pro JC

3. Josh Allen, 3-star, #5 Dual

4. Justin Herbert, 3-star, #26 Pro

5. Mathew Stafford, 5-star, #1 Pro

6. Joe Burrow, 4--star, #8 Pro

7. Patrick Mahomes II, 3-star, #22 Pro

8. Kyler Murray, 5-star, #1 Dual

9. Dak Prescott, 3-star, #20 Dual

10. Derek Carr, 4-star, #16 Pro

11. Russell Wilson 3-star, #25 Dual

12. Ryan Tannehill, 3-star, #19 Dual

13. Kirk Cousins, 3-star, #49 Pro

14. Lamar Jackson, 3-star, #12 Dual

15. Matt Ryan, 3-star, #40 Pro

16. Mac Jones, 3-star, #18 Pro

17. Jalen Hurts, 4-star, #4 Dual

18. Teddy Bridgewater, 4-star, #5 Dual

19. Carson Wentz, N/A

20. Jimmy Garoppolo, 2-star, #67 Pro

Looking at the top 20 NFL QBs, here are their high school recruiting rankings:

Stars
5 - 2
4 - 4
3 - 11
2 - 1
N/A - 2

There are only two 5-star QBs rated in the top 20 of NFL QBs. Both were the #1 QBs in their recruiting classes.

The most QBs in the top 20 (11) were 3-star recruits coming out of high school.

What does this all mean?

Unless you have the #1 QB in a recruiting class, it all comes down to team evaluation, development, and the player's desire to improve. Recruiting rankings have little to nothing to do or predict how a high school QB is going to develop in college unless you have the number 1 guy and there were only 2 of them in the top 20 of NFL QBs. The evaluations from the people running these recruiting services should be in question.

I hope Emory Williams knocks it out of the park at the Elite 11 Finals. If Miami isn't careful, they could wind up having to fight for this young man if his recruitment blows up.

One final thought. If Miami was in play for the #1 rated QB D.J. Uiagalelei in the 2020 class, our fans would have been screaming to get him over #7 Tyler Van Dyke. Based on their high school development it would have been justified. How does that look now?

From 2017-2021, Clemson recruited 4 QBs. They had 3 5-stars and the #4 4-star. Although the jury is still out on Uiagalelei, only Trevor Lawrence has done anything. Before him, it was Deshaun Watson in 2014 as the #1 4-star QB.

Trust the process not the rankings.

This whole post is flawed but good detail.

Add to it using Clemson in it isnt/wasnt the right play. They have been producing productive qbs in their system since mid 2000s...and continue to land 5 star qbs. 2 in the last 2 cycles.

Advertisement

Add to it using Clemson in it isnt/wasnt the right play. They have been producing productive qbs in their system since mid 2000s...and continue to land 5 star qbs. 2 in the last 2 cycles.

I laughed at the Clemson part, they won both their Nattys with 2 different 5 star QBs lol

We are moving goal posts now. The premise of the conversation was a list of QBs from the last decade who won titles. Most were 4 or 5 stars. You came in trying to rationalize/say that while Burrow ended up a star he wasn’t that highly thought of transfer. Reality is he was a 4 star that earned an offer to a top 5 program in Ohio State and then transferred to start at a top 10 program in LSU. He was a 4 star, he was a stud transfer and he is yet another example of how it’s important to stack talent at the QB position.

I'm not changing anything. I came on responding to the following, specifically the underlined.

You don’t necessarily have to rely on a game manager. OU has had great success in the transfer market. Maybe the greatest offense in recent history at LSU relied on a transfer QB. If you want to break the bank, taking a stud transfer comes with less risk.

After winning a Heisman, it's easy to call him a stud transfer. Coming out of high school Joe Burrow was a higher end of the 4 star rating (Joe Burrow - 247). He played behind JT Barrett. After a year on campus, he was so highly regarded that the following year Ohio State brought in three QB recruits, Dwayne Haskins, our very own Tate Martell, and someone named Kory Curtis. Haskins as a true freshman appeared in more games, threw for more yards, etc.

There are always schools looking for QB help and in Burrows case it was primarily Cincinnati (who knew about him and also recruited him out of high school). Orgeron was excited about him, but don't make it sound like a mad nation-wide scramble for a "stud QB transfer" that hit the market. It turns out that Orgeron had inside information about Burrow because his safety coach (Bill Busch) was Burrows lead recruiter at Ohio state under Urban Meyers. Busch urged him to bring Burrow and his family down for a visit. Below is an article about his transfer.

Joe Burrow Transfer

None of this has anything to do with stacking QB depth.

Advertisement
I'm not changing anything. I came on responding to the following, specifically the underlined.

After winning a Heisman, it's easy to call him a stud transfer. Coming out of high school Joe Burrow was a higher end of the 4 star rating (Joe Burrow - 247). He played behind JT Barrett. After a year on campus, he was so highly regarded that the following year Ohio State brought in three QB recruits, Dwayne Haskins, our very own Tate Martell, and someone named Kory Curtis. Haskins as a true freshman appeared in more games, threw for more yards, etc.

There are always schools looking for QB help and in Burrows case it was primarily Cincinnati (who knew about him and also recruited him out of high school). Orgeron was excited about him, but don't make it sound like a mad nation-wide scramble for a "stud QB transfer" that hit the market. It turns out that Orgeron had inside information about Burrow because his safety coach (Bill Busch) was Burrows lead recruiter at Ohio state under Urban Meyers. Busch urged him to bring Burrow and his family down for a visit. Below is an article about his transfer.

Joe Burrow Transfer

None of this has anything to do with stacking QB depth.
Sigh…
First and foremost Haskins was a 2016 kid and Tate was a 2017 kid. Who was this third guy they allegedly took in 2016? WTf are you talking about? Reality is that they did what I’m beating the drum for us to do, take a stud QB every cycle. So with that already out of the way, let’s address your article you linked… the fvckin article calls Joe Burrow a ‘game changer’ in the title and called ‘coveted QB’ in the sub title, that article came out May of 18 before Burrow even started a game there. Thanks for proving my point and good day.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Jacurri single handedly willed his team to state championship games and first team all-state recognition.

This kid had his team go 5-5 playing JV teams in the middle of nowhere. HARD PASS unless he's QB2 in the class

Well if that all-caps "HARD PASS" is your decision, please make sure Mario and Ponce know so they won't waste anymore time on Williams.

I think I can speak for everyone that your decision is likely the final word.

Right. Moving the goalposts is no longer needed with a monster recruiting staff like we have. Emory Williams as a qb 2 in your class is a massive success. As a qb1 it’s really questionable (right now). I look forward to following his senior year.
That Alabama signing two QBs was also before NIL and transfer portal. Most kids leave now when they don’t start. I’m with you though. I’m no expert but Williams seems to be more developmental but as pointed out above, he has a full year to show up and he clearly has caught the eye from our staff which is very strong

You're just enventing things I didn't even say. Who cares about QB play 20 years ago? Your not even on the same topic as what I said.

I pointed to Clemson in the past 5 years getting 5-star QBs that haven't panned out. It wasn't about just any QB production. It's about the 5-star QBs which is what I pointed to. You created something I didn't even say.

They had Trevor Lawrence (5-star) and DeShawn Watson (4-star) that have been their difference makers that helped make CFP appearances and win them 2 titles.

They've had 2 5-stars and a highly rated 4-star in recent years that didn't have success at Clemson or at another school after transferring including DJ U. This year will be the make or break narrative for DJ U. Hunter Johnson transfered to Northwestern and is now back at Clemson for which I have no idea why. Taisun Phommachanh has transferred to GT.

You obviously missed the point of just getting a 5 -star QB doesn't guarantee success. You can also deplete your QB room stacking multiple 5-star QBs because they will transfer. They're not going to sit for more than 1 year. Clemson has had a couple years with limited scholarship QBs due to transfers.

Don't be misguided. I want the best QBs. It's just not an exact science.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back