Official Emory Williams - 2023 QB COMMIT

Garcia is draft eligible after 2023.

If he's elite, he's gone. If he's not, you're not worried about beating him out if you're a 5-star player. Either way, the depth chart here is meaningless for elite QBs.

Everyone is saying this kid has A&M very high on his list. They just signed the #2 QB in the country in the class of 2022. Doesn't seem like Rashada is afraid of him, does it? And that kid is a year younger than Garcia.
Yea but Garcia is a starter here next year. Texas A&M will have an opening at QB.

Advertisement
The funny thing about that is if we do in fact want to take two QBs, the staff doesn’t think our QB room is as loaded as many on here think…
..or they understand the reality of how things are now, with the transfer portal and NIL meaning many players, QBs especially, don't want to be the player "in waiting". If we get a highly ranked QB recruit, odds are that either Garcia or that recruit will portal out when the other one gets the starting job.

..or they understand the reality of how things are now, with the transfer portal and NIL meaning many players, QBs especially, don't want to be the player "in waiting". If we get a highly ranked QB recruit, odds are that either Garcia or that recruit will portal out when the other one gets the starting job.
Right, our vaunted QB situation can fall apart very fast. I’m not against taking 2 just pointing out that while we have a nice QB room it can change in a week. Hence why you keep recruiting talent there and let the rest figure itself out.

I look at Georgia and how they won the title with a game manager quarterback. In order for them to do that, they needed to be elite at pretty much every single position on the roster to make up for the deficiencies at quarterback. Even then, they probably would have still lost to a healthy Alabama team in the championship game. A great quarterback can make an average team good and a good team a championship team. Why coaches purposefully go with game managers in 2022 is something I'll never understand.

I mean, I get it if you're some mediocre program that doesn't have a shot at signing a superstar but if you're Georgia there's no excuse not to have elite quarterback play.
Once the season starts, the roster is set. They usually have no other choice.

You don't think they'd love to have a game changing QB if they could get one.

Advertisement
Preston Dewey made the Elite 11. It’s meaningless.
It is meaningless to an extent, not arguing that. Still, would give us a chance to see him compete with the best, get some more eyes on him as well from reputable sources that haven’t gotten a chance to see him in action.

Yea but Garcia is a starter here next year. Texas A&M will have an opening at QB.

Who says either of these are true? We all assume the first part is, but he's thrown 14 career passes and it was against a team literally worse than St Thomas. He's absolutely entrenched as a starter no matter what in 2023? In a system he was not recruited to play in and to be coached by a coach who didn't recruit him?

And who says the 2nd part is true? What if you're Rashada, you commit to A&M, tell everyone else to pound sand, and Weigman goes and wins the job and is the SEC offensive player of the year. You still going to A&M?

You make the best decision for you with the info you have at the time. Depth charts are not scaring kids away from A&M, USC, etc. Absolutely zero reason they should scare anyone away from here.

Who says either of these are true? We all assume the first part is, but he's thrown 14 career passes and it was against a team literally worse than St Thomas. He's absolutely entrenched as a starter no matter what in 2023? In a system he was not recruited to play in and to be coached by a coach who didn't recruit him?

And who says the 2nd part is true? What if you're Rashada, you commit to A&M, tell everyone else to pound sand, and Weigman goes and wins the job and is the SEC offensive player of the year. You still going to A&M?

You make the best decision for you with the info you have at the time. Depth charts are not scaring kids away from A&M, USC, etc. Absolutely zero reason they should scare anyone away from here.

Texas A&M signed a 5 star qb last year. There is no difference between Garcia and him besides the fact they're 1 year apart. They're both unproven.
Sarcasm missed 😞😭

Advertisement
I look at Georgia and how they won the title with a game manager quarterback. In order for them to do that, they needed to be elite at pretty much every single position on the roster to make up for the deficiencies at quarterback. Even then, they probably would have still lost to a healthy Alabama team in the championship game. A great quarterback can make an average team good and a good team a championship team. Why coaches purposefully go with game managers in 2022 is something I'll never understand.

I mean, I get it if you're some mediocre program that doesn't have a shot at signing a superstar but if you're Georgia there's no excuse not to have elite quarterback play.
I agree with you. The thing is you could be a team that loads up on 5-star QBs every year. If a QB starts at leat 2 years, you'd have 5-stsr QBs sitting 2-4 years to play. That is not going to happen. A 5-star kid, let alone a QB, isn't going to sit for more than 1 year. They're going to the Portal to a school where they can jump right in.

That may sound just fine because you're constantly turning over the the QB roster with 5-star talent, but it doesn't work and here's why. It's hard to pull elite 5-star QBs in back to back years. You can also wind up with a pretty unhappy QB room where multiple 5-star QBs transfer out like ATM under Kevin Sumlin with Kyler Murray and Kyle Allen transferred out after being consecutive #1 5-star QBs. That was even when you had to sit out a year in your transfer. Then you start to look bad with 5-star QBs bailing and it becomes much harder to recruit top QBs.

So, you have to have balance in the QB room. I think 2024 makes the most sense for a 5-star QB recruit. Not that I wouldn't take one in the 2023 class, but I just don't think they would stick around unless Garcia has an injury or turns pro after being a 1 year starter. This is the new age of college football.

Last edited:
"When you talk to various sources, you get a lot of Texas A&M, you get a lot of Florida, you get a little bit of Ole Miss and you get a little bit of LSU," said 247Sports national recruiting director Steve Wiltfong. "Texas A&M and Florida have the most buzz and that's even with Ole Miss and LSU hanging around for Jaden Rashada."
Oregon is still around. I don’t know Am’s qb board but they’ve always came off as the wild card. Like they’re just hovering around keeping tabs on Rashada. We all know the money is long if they choose to strike. They aren’t worried about UF or anyone else in negotiations.

Garcia is draft eligible after 2023.

If he's elite, he's gone. If he's not, you're not worried about beating him out if you're a 5-star player. Either way, the depth chart here is meaningless for elite QBs.

Everyone is saying this kid has A&M very high on his list. They just signed the #2 QB in the country in the class of 2022. Doesn't seem like Rashada is afraid of him, does it? And that kid is a year younger than Garcia.
That's a possibility and another reason to get two this year (if they are the right ones). However, it's unusual for someone to leave with eligibility remaining after only one year of starting.

I also don't think Rashada is afraid of competition. He strikes me as impatient. I don't think he waits until year three to start.

You don’t necessarily have to rely on a game manager. OU has had great success in the transfer market. Maybe the greatest offense in recent history at LSU relied on a transfer QB. If you want to break the bank, taking a stud transfer comes with less risk.
That transfer would have to come in next spring

Advertisement
Oregon is still around. I don’t know Am’s qb board but they’ve always came off as the wild card. Like they’re just hovering around keeping tabs on Rashada. We all know the money is long if they choose to strike. They aren’t worried about UF or anyone else in negotiations.
They've got Moore visiting this upcoming weekend

You don’t necessarily have to rely on a game manager. OU has had great success in the transfer market. Maybe the greatest offense in recent history at LSU relied on a transfer QB. If you want to break the bank, taking a stud transfer comes with less risk.
He may have been a 4 star coming out of high school, but Joe Burrow wasn't considered a stud transfer when he left OSU for LSU. We were favored when he opened against us. No one anticipated he would do what he did.

So you’re cool with paying him more than some of our QBs already on the roster?
John C Reilly Yes GIF

I am ready to payyyyyyyy, or should I say, Ruiz should be ready to payyyyyyy!!! May the best man between Rashada, Jake and Jacurri win the job next season.

Advertisement

Yep. There a different mind set with 5 stars. Depth charts don't scare them off. They believe they're better than anyone.

On the old grassy board, I remember a quote from Devin Hester when FSU was using Miami's depth chart against us. "If you don't think I'm good enough, why are you recruiting me!"

He may have been a 4 star coming out of high school, but Joe Burrow wasn't considered a stud transfer when he left OSU for LSU. We were favored when he opened against us. No one anticipated he would do what he did.
No one expected him to become what he became but what you said wasn’t accurate. Miami was favored because we just came off the best season in over a decade and returned a ton of talent. LSU also had a a guy many considered a corch in Orgeron. Burrow was still a 4 star and he was still sought after. LSU fans were hyping him all summer. Also Buckeye fans had great things to say about unlike the guy we ended up getting in Tate.

Once the season starts, the roster is set. They usually have no other choice.

You don't think they'd love to have a game changing QB if they could get one.
I find it hard to believe that Georgia, who consistently ranks in the top 3 in recruiting, can’t get a good quarterback

No one expected him to become what he became but what you said wasn’t accurate. Miami was favored because we just came off the best season in over a decade and returned a ton of talent. LSU also had a a guy many considered a corch in Orgeron. Burrow was still a 4 star and he was still sought after.
LSU fans were hyping him all summer. Also Buckeye fans had great things to say about unlike the guy we ended up getting in Tate.
Yes, he was considered a good guy but after 3 years at OSU, he was passed up by a younger Dwayne Haskins who was considered the stud QB. That's why he hit the portal in the first place.

LSU fans hyped him because that's what fans do. What're they going to say, "Oh crap, we just brought in a jag". That's what people on CIS say. ;)

Advertisement
Back