Official Emory Williams - 2023 QB COMMIT

I'm hoping for A&M just to get the biggest investor out of the Moore market. They're also the ones that will be most likely to circle back around and pay someone something crazy in the fall. If he commits there now they wouldn't have any trouble keeping him. Let them get there guy early and stay tf away from everyone else.
GIF by NBA

Advertisement
This is great if our ultimate goal is the low probability endeavor of producing Top 20 NFL QBs. Maybe Emory is the rare guy who becomes a Top 20 NFL QB regardless of rankings like the guys from perennial powers Eastern Illinois, Wyoming, ND State and Fresno State.

However if it’s to compete for College National championships there’s only one guy on that list who was not a highly recruited 4 star or above QB and that’s Mac Jones who was the 2nd QB taken in his class along with a 5 star QB. Now that 5 star QB may or may not end up having the same NFL success but he was a Top 5 NFL draft pick.

Since our main goal is College National Championships I think a better analysis is to look at what the perennial playoff contenders in College do than NFL results. Looking at that you will find that those 4-6 teams consistently sign “elite” Top 10 QBs class after class. Yes a portion of those guys will never do anything but while it’s not the exact science of producing Top 20 NFL QBs, they do help you recruit other “elite” players making you a better College team.

Now in the end this may not matter. Emory may shot up the rankings and/or our elite WR targets who currently don’t know who he is will get to know him and want to play with him and/or Mario as an elite recruiter overcomes it landing an elite class. I happen to have faith in Mario and staff that they’re going to make it all work but let’s not act like our “concerns” with Emory are all about “rankings” which are invalidated by a Top 20 NFL QBs list.
I agree with that. A lot of our CIS members just look at star ratings jizzing themselves when one of them is in play. My point was to show that the star doesn't predict that QBs future outcome. After all, that is exactly what the 5th star is given for. He is to be the future NFL draft pick.

I think the CFP analytics on QBs are skewed. The teams that are in the playoffs and have won the title usually have the best players period. Not just at QB. If your roster is loaded, your QB doesn't have to be the best in order to win (See UGA 2021). The players surrounding the QB may be making him look better. Alabama has won most of it's national championships under Nick Saban with mostly 3 and 4 star QBs. The exception has been Tua.

Now, if your roster isn't completely loaded with future NFL prospects, you have to have a QB that is the best QB on the field to even have a chance in the playoffs. You need to look no further than Oklahoma's run of Heisman QBs, but has failed to even make the championship game with them. However, those teams would have never made the playoffs without those Heisman QBs. On the flip side, Clemson won a CFP championship with Trevor Lawrence, elite skill players, an elite defense, and a mediocre offensive line.

The reality is that you can win a Natty in many different ways. The QB doesn't have to be elite, but it helps especially if you're deficient in other areas. The QB can't be a liability and has to play well.

Starting QBs for the last 15 National Champs and there star rankings. Notice the only teams to win titles with 3 star QBs are BAMA and UGA.

2021 - Stetson Bennett 3 star
2020 - Mac Jones 3 star
2019 - Joe Burrow - 4 star
2018 - Trevor Lawrence - 5 star
2017 - Jalen Hurts - 4 star
2016 - Deshaun Waton - 4 star
2015 - Jake Coker - 3 star
2014 - JT Barrett - 4 star
2013 - James Winston - 5 star
2012 - AJ McCarron - 4 star
2011 - AJ McCarron - 4 star
2010 - Cam Newton - 5 star
2009 - Greg McElroy - 3 star
2008 - Tim Tebow - 5 star
2007 - Matt Flynn - 4 star

Starting QBs for the last 15 National Champs and there star rankings. Notice the only teams to win titles with 3 star QBs are BAMA and UGA.

2020 - Mac Jones 3 star
Precisely why if we’re not going to get into the wild bag game with Rashada and Moore, it’s imperative - almost essential, we spend on talent surrounding our QB. Like Bama has done for years, like UGA and A&M are doing now, etc.

2020 - Mac Jones 3 star
With Williams likely to get bumped to a 4Star I wonder what these same QB's ratings were when they were Juniors going into their Senior year?

Advertisement
Your point concerning 5 star obsession is somewhat valid, but in this instance, I just personally think Rashada and Moore look better on film / from a statistical standpoint during their high school tenures (thus far). It’s a good sign that Emory is gaining traction with other schools / was invited to the Elite 11; the latter is pretty big for him, because if he flops or is relatively underwhelming…the pitchforks will come out on here. Conversely, if he exceeds expectations and puts on a show, the staff will look like a plethora of geniuses.

In the end, we should continue to pursue Rashada and Moore because they’re better prospects, I don’t think that’s much of an argument. But it’s foolish to write Emory off just because he’s a 3 star, just as it’s equally as foolish to give up on Rashada and Moore because it’ll be a war with other schools.
Maybe they do. Perhaps Williams is just now getting the opportunity to develop. Maybe he turns into a Mac Jones type where he sits 3-4 years for his opportunity. Who knows?

I'm looking at the big picture of where the 2023 QB fits into the program.

A big factor that most overlook is that neither Rashada or Moore would likely stick around to even play a down of football for UM if Garcia is a 2 year starter. Those guys aren't waiting around to become a starter in year 3.

Secondly, Gattis has recruited Moore when he was at Michigan. If Moore comes to Miami and Gattis gets a P5 HC job, Moore likely joins Gattis at his new school.

Why would losing Rashada be unacceptable? Our record over the past 17 years has not been good at all and we have a VERY GOOD QB room. I don't understand your logic except you hate the Gators but it gives Rashada a great chance to start day one. HE IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY HE WANTS!

Advertisement
The reality is that you can win a Natty in many different ways. The QB doesn't have to be elite, but it helps especially if you're deficient in other areas. The QB can't be a liability and has to play well.
I look at Georgia and how they won the title with a game manager quarterback. In order for them to do that, they needed to be elite at pretty much every single position on the roster to make up for the deficiencies at quarterback. Even then, they probably would have still lost to a healthy Alabama team in the championship game. A great quarterback can make an average team good and a good team a championship team. Why coaches purposefully go with game managers in 2022 is something I'll never understand.

I mean, I get it if you're some mediocre program that doesn't have a shot at signing a superstar but if you're Georgia there's no excuse not to have elite quarterback play.

With Williams likely to get bumped to a 4Star I wonder what these same QB's ratings were when they were Juniors going into their Senior year?
If Emory gets that 4th star 2 things happen imo. A lot of CIS will go on to explain how he was always the best of the 3 and explain how he should be a 5 star. Then torch mob will try to have all the non Emory slurpers banned. Until I see him play better in games, I'll have none of it.

Please stop relying on the outlier vs what is the constant as proof source.

Besides the UGA QB this past year, who was the last game manager to lead the team to a win in a Championship game? Date I say Krenzel for Ohio State vs our Canes in 2002?

Is it one of the Alabama QBs (McElroy, etc) who ended up being an NFL QB?

The UGA kid won’t sniff anything beyond an NFL training camp.
You don’t necessarily have to rely on a game manager. OU has had great success in the transfer market. Maybe the greatest offense in recent history at LSU relied on a transfer QB. If you want to break the bank, taking a stud transfer comes with less risk.

If Emory gets that 4th star 2 things happen imo. A lot of CIS will go on to explain how he was always the best of the 3 and explain how he should be a 5 star. Then torch mob will try to have all the non Emory slurpers banned. Until I see him play better in games, I'll have none of it.
High school production is extremely worrisome, given the lack of competition. Hopefully it’s a microcosm of his team as well, but Elite 11 will at least give us a chance to see him stack up with the country’s best.

Advertisement
#1CF - does it matter if they are a success in the NFL?

We are talking college football. There are so many examples of good winning, successful QBs that didn’t amount to much of anything in the NFL (let’s just use our program QBs as examples - Torreta, Kenny Dorsey), Tebow at UiF, the Nebraska QBs, most of the Ohio State QBs, etc.

Let’s just worry about getting wins here at this program. The higher ranked, the higher rate of success at this level. Of this 3 star happens to rise to the top, so be it.
The 5th star is given to those who are future NFL 1st round players. If they didn't get drafted high, they likely didn't have a good college career.

There are usually 3-4 5-star high school QBs every year. Not all of them pan out to be great.

The funny thing about that is if we do in fact want to take two QBs, the staff doesn’t think our QB room is as loaded as many on here think…
... or they think the game has changed with the portal and NIL. Assuming that Garcia is the starter after Van Dyke leaves, a highly capable QB may not want to remain as a backup until Garcia leaves. They may be hedging their bets that there's some experienced depth remaining on the roster. They don't want to start a freshman.

Advertisement
Losing Rashada to UF would be unacceptable.

Why would losing Rashada be unacceptable? Our record over the past 17 years has not been good at all and we have a VERY GOOD QB room. I don't understand your logic except you hate the Gators but it gives Rashada a great chance to start day one. HE IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY HE WANTS!

So you’re cool with paying him more than some of our QBs already on the roster?
If we were desperate for a quarterback, it would be unacceptable. I'd like to sign a blue chip quarterback every year but I'm OK if they want to put a cap on a player who's not at a position of need. Even if we signed Rashada or Moore, they would be at best third string on the depth chart next year. Possibly fourth if TVD doesn't declare. If we were in Florida's QB predicament, I'd say break the bank for the kid because we're desperate but if they'd prefer to spend that money on more pressing needs, I'm OK with it.

... or they think the game has changed with the portal and NIL. Assuming that Garcia is the starter after Van Dyke leaves, a highly capable QB may not want to remain as a backup until Garcia leaves. They may be hedging their bets that there's some depth remaining on the roster.

Garcia is draft eligible after 2023.

If he's elite, he's gone. If he's not, you're not worried about beating him out if you're a 5-star player. Either way, the depth chart here is meaningless for elite QBs.

Everyone is saying this kid has A&M very high on his list. They just signed the #2 QB in the country in the class of 2022. Doesn't seem like Rashada is afraid of him, does it? And that kid is a year younger than Garcia.

I believe He meant 2022 QB Jacurri brown from Lowndes HS in Valdosta, Georgia.

2020: Georgia AAAAAAA all-state first-team selection. Helped carry Lowndes to a 10-2 record and the state semifinals. Named Winnersville Classic MVP after totaling 276 yards of offense and four touchdowns.

2019: Georgia Sports Writers Association AAAAAAA all-state first-team selection as an athlete. Led the Vikings to a state championship game appearance compiling a 14-

Go Canes

That makes more sense, but Lowndes isn't some doormat program either. Even that isn't a comparison. Tired and saw read Jacurri as Jacory for some **** reason.

Advertisement
Back