Official Emory Williams - 2023 QB COMMIT

Advertisement
If it's a bird in hand situation but all parties know we will still keep hunting, I certainly love that scenario. Kid can stand on his own in this class. But I agree the 2 5 stars have higher ceilings. You can win with a high quality QB game manager. But we've seen what a transformational QB like Dabo's two guys did for that program.

We also have the portal. I don't see this as a desperate situation at all.
Who said Williams Is only a game manager? Because he isn’t 5 star?

Advertisement
Hopefully he'll commit, then lock it down and welcome all challengers. That's the energy we need leading our program.
No GIF

Advertisement
Reading through some posts on Rivals board. Ferman says that Williams was told yesterday that Miami is still recruiting Moore and Rashada and both are iin play....
According to gaby the staff is focused on williams. Said the staff doesn’t expect rashada to visit.

We have a bunch of star chasers on CIS only interested in winning some mythical recruiting championship. I want guys that are committed. Give me the guys that will bleed for and with you.

At this point, I could really care less about Rashada. If Williams has the goods, sign him and keep it moving. I want the best guy that is committed to the program. If Williams outperforms the guys ranked higher than him at the Elite 11 Finals, then what?

You all chasing the Kardashians cause they have more Twitter and Instagram followers, while you have women just a hot if not hotter in your own backyard without all the diva baggage.

Let's keep it 100. Nobody here knows any of these QBs on a personal level. Everyone is just relying on the videos and the recruiting evaluations they read. We don't know what motivates them or what type of competitors they are. Who can you go to war with and who is just a mercenary?

Just look at past recruiting classes across college football. Then look at who the super star QBs are in the NFL.

Here's where the 2021 Top 20 NFL QBs ranked going into college.

1. Tom Brady, N/A

2. Aaron Rodgers, 3-star, #2 Pro JC

3. Josh Allen, 3-star, #5 Dual

4. Justin Herbert, 3-star, #26 Pro

5. Mathew Stafford, 5-star, #1 Pro

6. Joe Burrow, 4--star, #8 Pro

7. Patrick Mahomes II, 3-star, #22 Pro

8. Kyler Murray, 5-star, #1 Dual

9. Dak Prescott, 3-star, #20 Dual

10. Derek Carr, 4-star, #16 Pro

11. Russell Wilson 3-star, #25 Dual

12. Ryan Tannehill, 3-star, #19 Dual

13. Kirk Cousins, 3-star, #49 Pro

14. Lamar Jackson, 3-star, #12 Dual

15. Matt Ryan, 3-star, #40 Pro

16. Mac Jones, 3-star, #18 Pro

17. Jalen Hurts, 4-star, #4 Dual

18. Teddy Bridgewater, 4-star, #5 Dual

19. Carson Wentz, N/A

20. Jimmy Garoppolo, 2-star, #67 Pro

Looking at the top 20 NFL QBs, here are their high school recruiting rankings:

Stars
5 - 2
4 - 4
3 - 11
2 - 1
N/A - 2

There are only two 5-star QBs rated in the top 20 of NFL QBs. Both were the #1 QBs in their recruiting classes.

The most QBs in the top 20 (11) were 3-star recruits coming out of high school.

What does this all mean?

Unless you have the #1 QB in a recruiting class, it all comes down to team evaluation, development, and the player's desire to improve. Recruiting rankings have little to nothing to do or predict how a high school QB is going to develop in college unless you have the number 1 guy and there were only 2 of them in the top 20 of NFL QBs. The evaluations from the people running these recruiting services should be in question.

I hope Emory Williams knocks it out of the park at the Elite 11 Finals. If Miami isn't careful, they could wind up having to fight for this young man if his recruitment blows up.

One final thought. If Miami was in play for the #1 rated QB D.J. Uiagalelei in the 2020 class, our fans would have been screaming to get him over #7 Tyler Van Dyke. Based on their high school development it would have been justified. How does that look now?

From 2017-2021, Clemson recruited 4 QBs. They had 3 5-stars and the #4 4-star. Although the jury is still out on Uiagalelei, only Trevor Lawrence has done anything. Before him, it was Deshaun Watson in 2014 as the #1 4-star QB.

Trust the process not the rankings.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We have a bunch of star chasers on CIS only interested in winning some mythical recruiting championship. I want guys that are committed. Give me the guys that will bleed for and with you.

At this point, I could really care less about Rashada. If Williams has the goods, sign him and keep it moving. I want the best guy that is committed to the program. If Williams outperforms the guys ranked higher than him at the Elite 11 Finals, then what?

You all chasing the Kardashians cause they have more Twitter and Instagram followers, while you have women just a hot if not hotter in your own backyard without all the diva baggage.

Let's keep it 100. Nobody here knows any of these QBs on a personal level. Everyone is just relying on the videos and the recruiting evaluations they read. We don't know what motivates them or what type of competitors they are. Who can you go to war with and who is just a mercenary?

Just look at past recruiting classes across college football. Then look at who the super star QBs are in the NFL.

1. Tom Brady, N/A

19. Carson Wentz, N/A

Stars
5 - 2
4 - 4
3 - 11
2 - 1
N/A - 2

There are only two 5-star QBs rated in the top 20 of NFL QBs. Both were the #1 QBs in their recruiting classes.

What does this all mean?

Unless you have the #1 QB in a recruiting class, it all comes down to team evaluation, development, and the player's desire to improve. Recruiting rankings have little to nothing to do or predict how a high school QB is going to develop in college unless you have the number 1 guy and there were only 2 of them in the top 20 of NFL QBs. The evaluations from the people running these recruiting services should be in question.

I hope Emory Williams knocks it out of the park at the Elite 11 Finals. IF Miami isn't careful, they could wind up having to fight for this young man if his recruitment blows up.

One final thought. If Miami was in play for the #1 rated QB D.J. Uiagalelei in the 2020 class, our fans would have been screaming to get him over #7 Tyler Van Dyke. Based on their high school development it would have been justified. How does that look now?

From 2017-2021, Clemson recruited 4 QBs. They had 3 5-stars and the #4 4-star. Although the jury is still out on Uiagalelei, only Trevor Lawrence has done anything. Before him, it was Deshaun Watson in 2014 as the #1 4-star QB.

As entertaining and true a post this was, I couldn’t care less if Williams is the guy! Some hammered me on here when we first talked about this kid. I said, when you probably lose TVD this year, have Garcia take over, then have Brown, you aren’t finding 5 star top 5 QBs who want that. They want to play! Williams has the arm and accuracy and will stay and develop! I’ll repeat that, he will stay and develop. No one does that today! It’s a smart approach by the staff to identify a kid they like but also can keep around. Brown needs to shirt.

As entertaining and true a post this was, I couldn’t care less if Williams is the guy! Some hammered me on here when we first talked about this kid. I said, when you probably lose TVD this year, have Garcia take over, then have Brown, you aren’t finding 5 star top 5 QBs who want that. They want to play! Williams has the arm and accuracy and will stay and develop! I’ll repeat that, he will stay and develop. No one does that today! It’s a smart approach by the staff to identify a kid they like but also can keep around. Brown needs to shirt.
Agreed. Also, in 3 years Gattis is probably gone. He wants Moore because he recruited him at Michigan. If we get Moore, He will leave with Gattis when/if he becomes a head coach. Ponce is the OC in waiting. He's been on Williams for over a year. It makes perfect sense.

Williams seams like a dude that will bleed Orange and Green. Humble and hard working. Give me the guy that will grind to get better and pull his teammates with him.

My issue isn’t so much the Williams take itself, but the dominoes that follow.

You may gift Rashada to an in state rival, someone who multiple WR targets in this class have chemistry with.

As far as Emory himself, there is A LOT to like on tape: he has TVDish mobility (not a strength but he’s far from a statue), good pocket awareness, and really understands ball placement, arm angles, and the use of touch.

Definitely a high floor player I’d take on face value, recruiting ramifications aside.

Advertisement
It’s mostly pushback against bad habits on here. Kid is all right, he certainly is far from trash but he isn’t the prospect Rashada is. It comes down to the second it looked like Rashada wasn’t happening the typical excuses came in, Rashada is a head case and this kid is a monster we identified early. If Emory ends up the QB in this class then I will be fine with it but not ecstatic. It’s like landing a WR class of Robby, Fowles, and Seymore. You ain’t livid mad but you didn’t take care of business either, and no amount of rationalization will change that.

I don't believe anyone prefers Williams over Moore and Rashada.... I think its factoring how much NIL $ we have, coupled with not wanting to cause dissention in our current, very talented and loyal QB room, coupled with the thought that we are more likely going to go "max bid" next year.

With those factors in mind, Williams seems like a great take unless we can get Moore or Rashada recruited here within this year's available budget.

So if big, big USC/ATM like money comes in for us (which doesn't seem super likely), Moore or Rashada will probable be our 3rd stringer next year. Otherwise, Williams (an elite 11 participant) will be a great alternative.

Jacurri single handedly willed his team to state championship games and first team all-state recognition.

This kid had his team go 5-5 playing JV teams in the middle of nowhere. HARD PASS unless he's QB2 in the class

What? That was one of the most talented "high school" teams in the state, ever. His teams were loaded with D1 talent, all over the place, regardless of what they did in college or beyond.

You can't be serious with the team comparison and he willed them to a state title comment.

What? That was one of the most talented "high school" teams in the state, ever. His teams were loaded with D1 talent, all over the place, regardless of what they did in college or beyond.

You can't be serious with the team comparison and he willed them to a state title comment.

I believe He meant 2022 QB Jacurri brown from Lowndes HS in Valdosta, Georgia.

2020: Georgia AAAAAAA all-state first-team selection. Helped carry Lowndes to a 10-2 record and the state semifinals. Named Winnersville Classic MVP after totaling 276 yards of offense and four touchdowns.

2019: Georgia Sports Writers Association AAAAAAA all-state first-team selection as an athlete. Led the Vikings to a state championship game appearance compiling a 14-

Go Canes

1. Tom Brady, N/A

19. Carson Wentz, N/A

Stars
5 - 2
4 - 4
3 - 11
2 - 1
N/A - 2

What does this all mean?

I hope Emory Williams knocks it out of the park at the Elite 11 Finals. If Miami isn't careful, they could wind up having to fight for this young man if his recruitment blows up.

This is great if our ultimate goal is the low probability endeavor of producing Top 20 NFL QBs. Maybe Emory is the rare guy who becomes a Top 20 NFL QB regardless of rankings like the guys from perennial powers Eastern Illinois, Wyoming, ND State and Fresno State.

However if it’s to compete for College National championships there’s only one guy on that list who was not a highly recruited 4 star or above QB and that’s Mac Jones who was the 2nd QB taken in his class along with a 5 star QB. Now that 5 star QB may or may not end up having the same NFL success but he was a Top 5 NFL draft pick.

Since our main goal is College National Championships I think a better analysis is to look at what the perennial playoff contenders in College do than NFL results. Looking at that you will find that those 4-6 teams consistently sign “elite” Top 10 QBs class after class. Yes a portion of those guys will never do anything but while it’s not the exact science of producing Top 20 NFL QBs, they do help you recruit other “elite” players making you a better College team.

Now in the end this may not matter. Emory may shot up the rankings and/or our elite WR targets who currently don’t know who he is will get to know him and want to play with him and/or Mario as an elite recruiter overcomes it landing an elite class. I happen to have faith in Mario and staff that they’re going to make it all work but let’s not act like our “concerns” with Emory are all about “rankings” which are invalidated by a Top 20 NFL QBs list.

Advertisement
Back