Official Emory Williams - 2023 QB COMMIT

We have a NFL First Round prospect starting, a very talented backup for two seasons behind that and a raw, but athletic QB behind that with enough time to learn and adjust his mechanics.

Its a top tier room in College Football, it wont get much better than this.
All those early mock drafts are always trash. TVD is a promising NFL prospect but he isn't a 1st round prospect because he beat up on the ACC coastal over a span of 9 games. We are anointing him way too early here, lets see what he does come the fall when we play in College Station. I have no doubt he performs but I think we are overrating him right now. Garcia is exactly how you described him and Jaccuri is a project. It most definitely can get better than this.

Advertisement
All those early mock drafts are always trash. TVD is a promising NFL prospect but he isn't a 1st round prospect because he beat up on the ACC coastal over a span of 9 games. We are anointing him way too early here, lets see what he does come the fall when we play in College Station. I have no doubt he performs but I think we are overrating him right now. Garcia is exactly how you described him and Jaccuri is a project. It most definitely can get better than this.
i'd say you are a tiny bit pessimistic

i'd say you are a tiny bit pessimistic
Id like to say Im a realist/cautiously optimistic but fair enough. We basically overrate our talent all the time on here. I like TVD, I like him a lot but its just too early to say he is a first round QB. We said JH was gonna win a Heisman, and Kaaya was not only a first round QB but was better then Deshaun Watson. We will find out soon enough though and I hope I get this post throw right back in my face.

I wouldn’t call Jaccuri a project. He has probably the strongest arm on the team right now and is a Cam newton type of big bodied athlete. Accuracy needs work but he has time. Even if his accuracy never improves (which I doubt) he is still not a one trick pony, he can sling it! You have to account for his legs EVERY play. He gonna be a beast

I wouldn’t call Jaccuri a project. He has probably the strongest arm on the team right now and is a Cam newton type of big bodied athlete. Accuracy needs work but he has time. Even if his accuracy never improves (which I doubt) he is still not a one trick pony, he can sling it! You have to account for his legs EVERY play. He gonna be a beast
You literally described a project. Idk if some of you have IQ.

Advertisement
Id like to say Im a realist/cautiously optimistic but fair enough. We basically overrate our talent all the time on here. I like TVD, I like him a lot but its just too early to say he is a first round QB. We said JH was gonna win a Heisman, and Kaaya was not only a first round QB but was better then Deshaun Watson. We will find out soon enough though and I hope I get this post throw right back in my face.
Anything other than no highly rated QB could compete here and/or all our QBs are the best in the country is frowned upon. We are weeks away from hearing everyday how we are more talented than 90% of teams we play and how loaded we are at every position. Trying to display rationale here doesn't work until January.

IQ is a number based on intelligence, so while we all have the latter, the number is probably low.
Mad Anxiety GIF by Tyler, the Creator

Kenny Pickett just got drafted in the first round off of one season beating up ACC Coastal opponents. And this is after he had four seasons of looking like an average/below average quarterback. If Van Dyke has a similar season in 2022 to what he had in 2021, he'll be first round consideration.

As for UM's quarterback room, I'd be hard pressed to find more than 5 teams with a better collection of quarterbacks than what we currently have. Yes, Garcia and Brown haven't proven it on the field but it's college football, nobody has two or more proven commodities at QB. Even the most talented teams have a starter and a couple of highly rated, if unproven backups.

Advertisement
Kenny Pickett just got drafted in the first round off of one season beating up ACC Coastal opponents. And this is after he had four seasons of looking like an average/below average quarterback. If Van Dyke has a similar season in 2022 to what he had in 2021, he'll be first round consideration.

As for UM's quarterback room, I'd be hard pressed to find more than 5 teams with a better collection of quarterbacks than what we currently have. Yes, Garcia and Brown haven't proven it on the field but it's college football, nobody has two or more proven commodities at QB. Even the most talented teams have a starter and a couple of highly rated, if unproven backups.
If TVD has a season like Pickett did, I would agree that he would get 1st round consideration, Pickett had a monster season not just in yds which TVD was there stride for stride but he had an insane ratio of 42/7. One thing to consider though is that 2022 was a weak QB draft. Pickett had no business being a 1st round QB and got drafted by the home team. TVD will not have that same luxury but at the same time, TVD from a measurables standpoint should test infinitely better than lil hands Kenny.

In terms of your second point that is a maybe but its subjective like a MFer. I think our situation is in line with many other program who have potential in their QB room. We have potential in ours and if you think its top 5 that is fair. All im saying is that others can make that argument. We will see who will have the best QB room when the smoke clears. One thing I do know is that a break here and there and our vaunted QB room is in shambles. I remember when we were set for the foreseeable future with Marve and Jacory. Later we had Stephen Morris, Preston Dewey who was personally groomed by Detmer, and the wonder child Kevin Olsen. Still remember those videos of Olsen breaking down plays on an eraser board and people gushing all over them. All of that fell part real real quick. Now do I think that this is the best QB room we have had in a long long time and that this time will be different? Id like to think so but not enough not to keep beating the pavement that we need another stud this cycle. Two of this board's favorite cliches is to stack talent and stack talent to the point where the practices are harder than the games. Well lets get there...

I take Blu’s reviews with a grain of salt. He loves everyone. Roman knows quarterbacks better but he also loved Jarren Williams.

I still like this kid as a high floor QB2 option. His accuracy is top level and he’s comfortable throwing from the pocket. I just see a very average arm. You see it a bit in the highlights but in his actual game video and even in his receiver’s highlight tape, you see the deficiencies. The receiver will have his man beat by three or four steps but he has to wait on the ball and make a contested catch because it takes too long to get there. Doesn’t mean the kid isn’t a solid take, just that I’d put him a level below the top tier guys. If you watched Van Dyke’s high school tape, his arm jumped out at you. Williams has an average to below average P5 arm.
But Jarren WAS a good QB, skill wise. He just liked weed more than he did football. The fact that Jarren didn’t pan out as a QB, is not on Roman. He only evaluates a QBs on the field skills, not whether the kid is a world class fucc up, off the field. The kid partied and smoked himself right out of big time college football. Some kids can’t deal with the mental rigors of being a D1 P5 QB.

Advertisement
I ain't mad at anybody, but technically Roman was 100% correct on Jarren Williams, as he was only evaluating video. There is NO WAY for any website, sportswriter, or third party scout to know that a 17 year old kid may have future mental health issues and maybe, MAYBE the coaches who recruit a kid can POSSIBLY figure that out prior to Signing Day. In Jarren's first few games for UM, he looked like exactly what we expected from his highlights.

Very sad how everything turned out, but we can't fault Roman for liking Jarren Williams' tape.
This. I just said pretty much the same thing. Wish I’d seen your post beforehand.🤣

Hopefully he doesn't also follow Preston and end up with an injury that causes him to retire from football before he gets a chance to play.
Don't do this. 20+ finalist every year for elite 11 we don't need to drag up how little this matters.

Advertisement
Don't do this. 20+ finalist every year for elite 11 we don't need to drag up how little this matters.
Not sure what you think I'm doing other than stating I hope he gets to play college ball somewhere and does not end up having a career ending injury. I have no clue how good of a QB he is or could be.

Not sure what you think I'm doing other than stating I hope he gets to play college ball somewhere and does not end up having a career ending injury. I have no clue how good of a QB he is or could be.
Jayson Tatum Smile GIF by Boston Celtics

But Jarren WAS a good QB, skill wise. He just liked weed more than he did football. The fact that Jarren didn’t pan out as a QB, is not on Roman. He only evaluates a QBs on the field skills, not whether the kid is a world class fucc up, off the field. The kid partied and smoked himself right out of big time college football. Some kids can’t deal with the mental rigors of being a D1 P5 QB.
He was a good thrower but he struggled processing and going through progressions. I must’ve yelled “just throw it away” 50 times in 2019 while Jarren was holding the ball too long and taking sacks. I won’t pin that miss on Roman though. He’s just breaking down highlight films in his videos and he’s usually pretty accurate. Although he did like Dan Enos too.

Yeah, I haven’t watched his tape and I’m still not gonna.
Listening to the Larry Bluestein interview, Larry saw Williams as a talent last summer. When he talked with Ponce, Ponce had already saw Williams as a talented player.
In the "Locked on Canes" podcast below they start talking about QBs and Emory Williams at 18:16.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/j-Bvuo6JPGQ?start=1116

Here's Roman's breakdown of Emory Williams

Williams could be the perfect fit for this class. A kid willing to wait 2-3 years for his turn. That's just not happening with these 5 star QBs.

Garcia is Likely a 2 year starter after TVD. That's waiting 2 years before you can even compete for the starting job which is why I think it will be difficult to get a 5 star QB this cycle.

I'm good with the coaches assessment of Williams if we miss out on a higher rated QB.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back