Official Emory Williams - 2023 QB COMMIT

Then why are top 20 qbs more likely to be a blue chipper than others? Stars don’t go out the window if the data shows blue chippers are better on average. But yeah I’m not saying Emory won’t be a 4 star in the end. He could even be a 3 star who ends up being good. Just on average, the odds favor blue chip recruits.
I agree that if you look at the data, odds are better (percentagewise) for a 5 star to make nfl than a 4 star, than a 3 star, and so on.

part of that is that when a top school offers a kid, that kid's star rating go up. and...

the coaching and exposure they'll get at that top school is of benefit when NFL scouts rank kids.

we are now (or will soon be) seen as a top school

nil is not an unlimited budget except in our dreams. I'm sure we will get who we think is the best qb that will take our nil offer. That's where evaluations and recruiting lands after the nil factor.

I'm gonna trust we will do well recruiting the best qb that will entertain our school after consideration of all factors--- including the nil a local business or two offers.

Advertisement
You Suck The Worst GIF by grown-ish

Quarterbacks seem to have more "diamonds in the rough" than other positions.

I took Yahoo's ranking of the top 20 QBs. Anybody who was not a blue chipper is in bold and underlined.

Josh Allen
Patrick Mahomes
Aaron Rodgers

Joe Burrow (low four-star)
Tom Brady (pre-recruiting rankings, USC didn't offer)
Justin Herbert
Deshaun Watson
Kyler Murray
Dak Prescott
Russell Wilson
Lamar Jackson

Matt Stafford
Ryan Tannehill
Matt Ryan
Derek Carr
Jimmy Garoppolo
Kirk Cousins

Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Jalen Hurts

As you can see, the vast majority (including the most talented guys) were not blue chippers. A bunch of them were completely off the grid. And while recruiting rankings have improved in many ways, the last two drafts still had four "sleeper" QBs get drafted in the first (Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Mac Jones and Kenny Pickett). Only two of the 9 QBs drafted this year were blue chippers.
You just also showed that despite being the toughest to project, and having many diamonds in the rough, highly rated (4 and 5 star) quarterbacks are still over represented in the field of the top 20 relative to their volume amongst evaluated and rated recruits at that position, and should indeed be the focus based on the statistics. Also, it is debatable wether brady would or would not have been a blue chip recruit.

Last edited:
I kept telling people last winter: Lawrence is the Bo Callahan of last year's draft.

We'll see if I'm right. Time will tell.
I genuinely didn't like Lawrence as an NFL QB.

Athletic as **** with a rocket arm - but his ball placement was really, really poor. Not to mention he came from a gimmick offence.

Advertisement
You just also showed that despite being the toughest to project, and having many diamonds in the rough, highly rated (4 and 5 star) quarterbacks are still over represented in the field of the top 20 relative to their volume amongst evaluated and rated recruits at that position, and should indeed be the focus based on the statistics. Also, it is debatable wether brady would or would not have been a blue chip recruit.
Brady had offers from Michigan, SC and other key PAC 10 schools. I’d say he was a blue chipper for those times. Michigan was a premier school back then.

Brady had offers from Michigan, SC and other key PAC 10 schools. I’d say he was a blue chipper for those times. Michigan was a premier school back then.
Was Brady also a highly recruited baseball player? I thought I read that somewhere.

4. Tyler was a 3 star until April 2019, when he committed. There's post of people astonished a Miami target/commit got a bump. I alluded to his bump, as this board is fascinated with stars, simply a fact.

he didn’t really get a commit bump. It just timed out that like the day I think ESPN or somebody did their prospect wide spring reevaluation, is the day he committed.

Advertisement
Some of These High profile QBs in the 2023 class are not going to want to come here and possibly sit for 2 years which they might have to do here. I know Jake is doing that now but that’s sort of rarity in todays world of QB. Still recruit Rashada and Moore and don’t settle for Williams but it’s in the back of these coaches/ boosters mind that are we willing to break the bank for a kid who could transfer in a year. We not playing with unlimited money so they are going to want to spend it wisely.
They seem to want to at SC and Bama. We have a nice QB room but people are overrating it significantly, acting like nobody has ever had a QB room like ours.

Sure but it’s more about his teammate a top 150 composite WR who is committed to UGA and lists a multiple SEC offers including Bama plus ND. QB and WR are obviously symbiotic positions, major schools have seen Emory based on Contrell and have not offered. Why? I trust the staff, but I stand that locking in on this kid at this moment isn’t great optically. His tape is pretty good but I see concerns of a stud that doesn’t translate at the next level. Once again, I trust the staff but people are raising valid questions here.

I know you keep asking this question over and over again, as if it is self-evident and obvious, but for the schools that have recruited his WR, they are ALREADY and SEPARATELY recruiting higher ranked QBs. So if UGa or Bama or ND sees something they like in this QB, they are star-whorish enough not to suddenly drop Arch Manning or Nico Iamaleava to take this kid. And they are also selfish enough not to say "hey, Arkansas, Vandy, Florida, all you third-tier SEC schools, here is an unsung QB that you should check out".

I'm willing to trust our coaches on the talent identification question. They have pretty good track records.

@01Canes Make no mistake, I want Rashada. He is a stud talent. But it’s not my money, and I can see how some feel the investment would be risky.

The good news is that Rashada hasn’t gotten the deal yet and collectives are crashing. The smart play for him is to go to the best football situation for good money, become a star and then make the real NIL money.
Are we still in it from what you’re hearing?

Honest question, would you trade Van Dyke for Uiagalelei. Since you are caught up in stars more than evaluations.
It's a dumb *** question but look at the source. Would you trade Peyton Matocha for Bryce Young? Takes a simple minded individual to make this a stars debate.

Advertisement
It's a dumb *** question but look at the source. Would you trade Peyton Matocha for Bryce Young? Takes a simple minded individual to make this a stars debate.

You are crying like a ****** because we aren't getting a five star as if every five star is a guarantee.
That's the point dumb ***.
If the coaches evaluate Williams and feel he's good enough then I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until they are proven wrong.

You are crying like a ****** because we aren't getting a five star as if every five star is a guarantee.
That's the point dumb ***.
If the coaches evaluate Williams and feel he's good enough then I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until they are proven wrong.
Idk what team you root for but I'm sure they could use an idiot on their board.

Advertisement
So people don't like this kid because he's a three star. Not because of film, not because of stats, not because of measurements, not because of level of competition but because he's a three star.
So if he was a four or five star everyone would be fine with it even though is basically the same player.
Didn't know canesinsight changed its name to gaytorcountry.
Welcome to CIS. It’s what we do around here🙄.

I very rarely criticize and I fully support the staff. It’s also ok to not like the take. I’m not a star *****, never have been, but that could be bc I knew previous staffs wasn’t going to land them 😂. We will see when the class is finalized and like @LeedsCane said of his final ranking. Maybe he blows up, maybe he doesn’t. Make it like Dorsey 2.0 for all I care, just win lol. Yes, Dorsey was a stud before @SWFLHurricane comes for me 😂

What's pathetic though is that all the guys criticizing the potential take will be ok with it if he gets a 4th star from the clown brigade.

My assessment of Matocha was not kind. I loved TVD and had him above Garcia.

I also liked Kyle Wright a ton coming out of California and thought he’d be a 1st round pick.

I still don't understand how the Kyle Wright who beat San Ramon and the Michigan QB recruit in the playoffs in one of the greatest gunslinging "refuse-to-lose" QB battles there has ever been didn't become one of the best to ever come through here. No matter who did what to ***** him up. I would have bet my house on him.

Advertisement
Back