Official Emory Williams - 2023 QB COMMIT

My entirely uneducated opinion:

In this new era aim to take two QBs a class. One coachable “project” and one big name. The former will stay longer and give you continuity if the big name decides to bounce because they’re not starting by year 2. And they could be diamonds in the rough with superior work ethic and focus that you can mold. It seems like cheap insurance to me.
While I'm not sure you can do that every year, I agree with the philosophy. It's incredibly tough to sign a blue chip QB every year. It's **** near impossible to keep them on campus more than a year or two if they're not immediately named the starter. Our current QB room is back-logged and while everyone assumes TVD will declare after the season, he's still got three years of eligibility so that's not necessarily a forgone conclusion. You might have to occasionally take a "depth" guy who isn't going to command a huge NIL deal and an immediate starting spot.

I'm still of the opinion that with quarterbacks willing to transfer if they don't win starting spots immediately, you don't absolutely need to sign a blue chip high school kid every year. There's always going to be a handful of former 4 and 5 star guys who didn't get the job at their first school.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Using our qb room as the reason to settle is terrible. That has never stopped the upper tier of college football from signing highly rated kids. At the end of the day, TVD is the only proven qb on the roster. The goal is to win NCs correct? Then you stack talent. I’m not saying the kid won’t be good or he will be bad, but very rarely do kids go unnoticed particularly in Florida. I trust the staff too, but I’m not going to believe they are better than every P5 staff in the country at finding qbs. Now if he ends up balling out, I might change my tune lol.
I’m not disagreeing with you, but who says we “settling”? I said that I will defer to the professionals here. They may see something in this kid that they like more than the others. I can’t argue that, cause I have an untrained eye when it comes to QBs. Maybe they will go after 2 this cycle. IDK. Maybe they didn’t wanna drop a huge bag on Rashada or other big names at QB, this cycle, because the kid may get ****ed and leave, if he has to sit a year or 2. If Rashada don’t win the job over Garcia and/or Brown…. **** even if TVD comes back for his Senior season, does he leave via the portal? What I do know is that we’re entering a new era in college sports. It will be interesting to see how this thing plays out. Getting a kid the keys to a new Charger, won’t get it done going forward. They gonna have to bring real bags to the table. How will coaches decide where to drop these bags? In this new era, will the big dogs of the college football world, still be willing and able to stockpile QBs? IDK because I foresee a lot of kids hopping in the portal to get on a field.

There’s not many guys who make me say wow….pause….on multiple throws , like jaw hanging open. Most of these cats throw to wide open guys or guys thats won their matchup off the line.

Did i do it right weirdos ?
Yes 🐐u did it right (PAUSE) I’m proud of u😂😂😂😂😂

He couldn't play in space at all--that's what happened
Haha no doubt. I'd venture to say they played him out of position more than anything. I think from Freshman year he had the profile to be a stand up rusher and if he would have worked on that craft from Freshman year on he could have been a player.

Advertisement
this isn’t a TVD situation where he lives in a random state so there hasn’t been that many eyes on him. this kid is throwing to a Top 100 WR recruit that is committed to Georgia.

this isn’t a TVD situation where he lives in a random state so there hasn’t been that many eyes on him. this kid is throwing to a Top 100 WR recruit that is committed to Georgia.

Yea I think this is the biggest concern. He has a top tier school recruiting his WR and committed there, yet no sense of them recruiting him or any other relevant offers. Dude can sling it though.

My entirely uneducated opinion:

In this new era aim to take two QBs a class. One coachable “project” and one big name. The former will stay longer and give you continuity if the big name decides to bounce because they’re not starting by year 2. And they could be diamonds in the rough with superior work ethic and focus that you can mold. It seems like cheap insurance to me.
Hey aren't you the poster that took everyones money for the Billboard but gave them the lunch truck instead. I may have given you **** back then but you had the right idea about getting rid of everyone. Thank god it finally happened.

By the way how was Hawaii

Advertisement
Advertisement
Would NOT take Rashada as it seems it could cause problems in the QB room and a problem because of the money he'll be getting. EMORY IS THE PLAY!
Every dumb *** post I see like this makes we throw up a Lil. I'm sure that's the way to be competitive avoid signing great players to disturb the 7-5 locker room. You beta male dummies think that's the way the Bama,OSU,USC,UGA schools are operating. I'd hate to see the way you guys raise your sons.

i absolutely get the desire for "wow," watching the guy rip off a 50 run off a keeper, lamar jackson style. who wouldnt want that?

but let's evaluate the kid in the framework of the UM offense, and what Cristobal and Gattis want to do.

no QB, including a guy like jaccurri, is going to need to be that kind of "lamar jackson type" QB.

instead, a QB in this system needs to have the athleticism where he can run RPO's, get to the edges on 50 and 90 series type passing plays, and pressure the sticks on 3rd and 7 when the pocket breaks down. he needs to be that kind of athleticism. and he definitely has that.

The problem is we have entered this weird and illogical era that unless someone looks like michael vick with the ball in his hands, then he's not "athletic" as a QB. that's just not how it works. joe burrow, matt ryan, matthew stafford, kirk cousins, derek carr ... etc. etc. .... are any of them "wow" factor athletes? not when you're comparing them to jackson or vick or one of those guys. but they are athletic enough to play the position well.

and no, i'm not holding a 17 year old to the arm standard of an NFL starting QB either.

point is, it's about context and projection. and this kid has upside. a lot of it.

could some more evaluation reveal it to be a mirage? sure. absolutely. and he could be a total flop, whether he goes to UM or somewhere else. the work/eval isn't done. but from what i've seen, (so far) the kid looks like the real deal.

but i still wonder .... will we take 2 QB's, and that's why we're moving quickly on him?
Honest question, how much can arm strength be improved? Right now it looks like your receivers will need to get wide open or good DB's will ruin his day. JMO Thanks in advance.

As I mentioned in the other Emory Elite 11 thread, he is a take and I would take him over the Moore and Rashada. It's not worth the hassle with Moore/Rashada with where we are at in our QB room. I expect Emory to commit. Ponce loves this guy. We are stacked at QB right now and in MY OPINION, taking Moore or Rashada will f'up the locker room. Just my opinion as to where we are at. TVD is leaving after this year unless he has a down year. Garcia plays next year and gets us close to a natty. The battle will be between Brown and Emory. I have always expected Brown to play another position but we will see.

Emory has not had the level of teaching and camp circuit visibility to move him up the rankings. He lacks a little bit of athleticism and DMoney is correct to point out about QB's playing more than 1 sport. However, Emory is an excellent qb and the kind you take with our QB situation. He ain't bag chasing and a person who is going to grind it out to become better. You give him 2-3 years of college coaching and training and allow him to hone his skills. Ponce ain't leaving anytime soon unless he gets some big time OC or HC job and I don't see it. He is our OC in waiting cause Gattis aint staying 3 years unless we start racking up some Nattys. So, allowing Emory to get 2-3 years of specific training under 1 QB coach like Ponce will blow him up.
You lost me at Brown playing a different position. If you gave Brown the same 2-3 years of college coaching and training under 1 quarterback coach like Ponce, he will also blow up. In my opinion even more so because as a developer of talent, you have more to work with.

Advertisement
Back