Official Emory Williams - 2023 QB COMMIT

Emory Williams is the goods . He is a take all day long and for me and I would take him over Moor and Rashada. Again, my opinion.
Some of these top 10 QB's will be too much of a headache now with all this money involved. These top 10 QB's need a perfect storm to get on the field early

Advertisement
Emory Williams is the goods . He is a take all day long and for me and I would take him over Moor and Rashada. Again, my opinion.
Some of these top 10 QB's will be too much of a headache now with all this money involved. These top 10 QB's need a perfect storm to get on the field early
Yea he's probably able to understand plays better and the other 2 should probably just move to WR. 🙄

I’m not sure paying the NIL money needed for a 5 star QB out of high school is worth the value. I’d rather go get a guy who has been successful for 1-2 years in college and use the money for him. I’d like to see the production before paying upwards of 5 million.
I don’t think it’s needed in this class. I’m greedy and I want it but our QB room is in a good spot. 5 star QB’s want to play and there isn’t a clear path to the field for possibly two-three years. I think we’re all in agreement that this is Jake’s team after TVD for at least a year but probably two. Then you’ve got a grown man Jacurri Brown as a redshirt sophomore and whoever we sign would have to beat him out. There’s no reason to create drama in the room by giving out a million dollar bag this cycle.

However, 2024 and 2025 it’s on like donkey Kong. Write the check.

Advertisement
Idk sht about qb evals or any other evals for that matter, but I would be just as weary for a panhandle kid blowing up with offers as I would be for a 5 star who’s chasing bags.
A Pensacola kid who blows up might get offers from other sec teams as well as a desperate fsu team.
Unless the staff has full faith and confidence that this young man will commit and stick, I would have more than just a back up plan for him.

However, I said the same thing about Jackson and he told both Uif and fsu “no thank you”.

Well yes but their QB is room is hot garbage, we’re not in the same situation. We’ll sign a better QB than them this year and our QB room is pretty **** healthy rn. And this guy could be the one who we sign that will be better than FSU.
We've been saying stuff like this for 20 years though. And at this point, any position room can only be looked at one year at a time with the Portal (which is not a judgement of the Portal for any of you lames who want to turn this into a referendum). So sure, maybe he is a diamond in the rough, and right now we allegedly have some good depth in the room (although we have no clue if Garcia or Brown will be any good). But we said that about Preston Dewey, Daniel Steagall, Cade Weldon, Gray Crow, etc....and I'd rather have Rashada or Nico or whatever when we know that we are always one assistant coach getting a promotion away from multiple QBs transferring in one offseason.

Advertisement
We have had our share of 4 and 5 stars the didn’t pan out either. Kyle Wright, Brock Berlin, Jack Allison, Jarren Williams, Kosi Perry, the Olsen kid, Tate Martell, Jake Heaps. Malik Rosier was the QB of our most successful team in the past 10-15 year. This **** can be a crap shoot.It doesn’t make sense to pay millions of dollars to a kid who has never played college football.

I'm confused on these Elite 11 invites. It feels like its based less on performance at the camps and more on potential and ranking nationally. Jaden Rashada didn't place in his Vegas events but Emory Willams WON all of his events though didn't wow in the combine portion (40-yard dash, 20-yard shuttle run, vertical jump and kneeling power ball toss). Yet only Rashada got an invite.

Meanwhile Rashada got a top dog write up in 247 and Emory's was buried at the bottom of the Baton Rouge 247 article. As follows:

Elite 11 bias' aside, it feels Emory Williams is also possibly unique case of limited exposure and an thus treated as an after thought a top heavy QB cycle. Would love to get thoughts from the peanut gallery on this.

This kid, IMO, has the following:

1) Elite Accuracy
2) Elite Decision Making Skills
3) Elite foot work
4) Above avg Arm.
5) Fvking tough. Hangs in there when pressure is bearing down and delivers the ball while taking a hit.

Absolute take as QB1

Advertisement
Listen, you’ve forgotten more about QB play than I’ve ever known. I’m just greedy. He looks like P5 signee all day but I was hoping for more “Wow” flashes of physical tools.

i absolutely get the desire for "wow," watching the guy rip off a 50 run off a keeper, lamar jackson style. who wouldnt want that?

but let's evaluate the kid in the framework of the UM offense, and what Cristobal and Gattis want to do.

no QB, including a guy like jaccurri, is going to need to be that kind of "lamar jackson type" QB.

instead, a QB in this system needs to have the athleticism where he can run RPO's, get to the edges on 50 and 90 series type passing plays, and pressure the sticks on 3rd and 7 when the pocket breaks down. he needs to be that kind of athleticism. and he definitely has that.

The problem is we have entered this weird and illogical era that unless someone looks like michael vick with the ball in his hands, then he's not "athletic" as a QB. that's just not how it works. joe burrow, matt ryan, matthew stafford, kirk cousins, derek carr ... etc. etc. .... are any of them "wow" factor athletes? not when you're comparing them to jackson or vick or one of those guys. but they are athletic enough to play the position well.

and no, i'm not holding a 17 year old to the arm standard of an NFL starting QB either.

point is, it's about context and projection. and this kid has upside. a lot of it.

could some more evaluation reveal it to be a mirage? sure. absolutely. and he could be a total flop, whether he goes to UM or somewhere else. the work/eval isn't done. but from what i've seen, (so far) the kid looks like the real deal.

but i still wonder .... will we take 2 QB's, and that's why we're moving quickly on him?

I'm confused on these Elite 11 invites. It feels like its based less on performance at the camps and more on potential and ranking nationally. Jaden Rashada didn't place in his Vegas events but Emory Willams WON all of his events though didn't wow in the combine portion (40-yard dash, 20-yard shuttle run, vertical jump and kneeling power ball toss). Yet only Rashada got an invite.

Meanwhile Rashada got a top dog write up in 247 and Emory's was buried at the bottom of the Baton Rouge 247 article. As follows:

Elite 11 bias' aside, it feels Emory Williams is also possibly unique case of limited exposure and an thus treated as an after thought a top heavy QB cycle. Would love to get thoughts from the peanut gallery on this.

just watched the highlights. this chick can sling it!

you're right.

by the way .... go to the :15 second mark, and watch carefully.

if you know what you're looking at, then you'll see exactly why we want this kid in the class.

Advertisement
Arm isn't the same as Lawrence and Lawrence was a big time athlete. Emory is not. That's the concern, weaker arm and not athletic.
I kept telling people last winter: Lawrence is the Bo Callahan of last year's draft.

We'll see if I'm right. Time will tell.

Advertisement
Back