Emory/Jacurri/Judd

rayray

Sophomore
Simple question here: who among us thinks any of these three guys have futures that are worth prioritizing as Miami evaluates its QB options? I heard David Lake say this week that Miami is likely looking for a 1 year "bridge" QB -- I find that a bit concerning. I understand the staff is inherently going to like the QBs it has brought in, and needs to pay some level of lip service to the guys on the roster, but personally speaking I don't see any of these 3 guys as having enough potential that their feelings need to be deeply considered as we portal. am I tripping?

honestly, the one guy who might have special traits is Jacurri, and if we bring in a veteran QB to start this year I assume Jacurri is transferring. I can't imagine him sitting another year for a staff that didn't even recruit him. Emory is coming off a gruesome injury and doesn't look like a plus player even if he hits. Judd is a project. I don't see anything here worth crying over spilled milk, but maybe I'm wrong. who feels strongly about these players?

Advertisement
One year bridge makes sense because short of landing 5 star elite Hs kids your best bet is to just grab an experienced guy each year in the portal and hope you strike gold on an evaluation HS kid.

Simple question here: who among us thinks any of these three guys have futures that are worth prioritizing as Miami evaluates its QB options? I heard David Lake say this week that Miami is likely looking for a 1 year "bridge" QB -- I find that a bit concerning. I understand the staff is inherently going to like the QBs it has brought in, and needs to pay some level of lip service to the guys on the roster, but personally speaking I don't see any of these 3 guys as having enough potential that their feelings need to be deeply considered as we portal. am I tripping?

honestly, the one guy who might have special traits is Jacurri, and if we bring in a veteran QB to start this year I assume Jacurri is transferring. I can't imagine him sitting another year for a staff that didn't even recruit him. Emory is coming off a gruesome injury and doesn't look like a plus player even if he hits. Judd is a project. I don't see anything here worth crying over spilled milk, but maybe I'm wrong. who feels strongly about these players?
Decisions & evaluations in today’s game are largely going to be made on an annual basis. If you bring in a 1-yr portal QB and staff isn’t comfortable with development of room next fall, then likely will revisit the portal. Flexible & fluid are new buzz words.

think it depends how jacurri looks in the bowel game. he plays well and stays bet he does so with an agreement they don't go portal shopping next offseason. if he transfers i'd expect us to get a QB in the portal with multiple yers of eligibility during the spring portal

I would imagine that they (staff) HOPE Emory will grow/improve and be ready to take over in ‘25. He’s got the moxie, but developing physical attributes will be critical.

24 - Transfer portal QB, Emory, JB, Judd
25 - Emory, JB, Judd, Nickel
26 - Emory, JB, Judd, Nickel
27 - Nickel

That’s assuming Emory or JB show something in 24 practices that allows staff to focus on other positions.
Also assumes nobody leaves (which we know is false) - Just don‘t know who.

Advertisement
Decisions & evaluations in today’s game are largely going to be made on an annual basis. If you bring in a 1-yr portal QB and staff isn’t comfortable with development of room next fall, then likely will revisit the portal. Flexible & fluid are new buzz words.
this is true to a certain degree, but their decision this year will impact the next few years one way or another. if they bring in Dante Moore or another multi year QB, you're 100% waving goodbye to Jacurri and potentially Emory too. a one year option gives you a better chance of keeping this group together. they can always revisit after the 2024 season if they want/need a better QB for 2025 regardless, but the 2025 room in some part is going to be shaped by what they do over the next few weeks.

From what I heard a 1 year bridge is more acceptable than a multi year guy because the multi year guy might clear out the room.. idk what to think about that but possible

One year bridge makes sense because short of landing 5 star elite Hs kids your best bet is to just grab an experienced guy each year in the portal and hope you strike gold on an evaluation HS kid.

I agree with this. every year will have serviceable options at QB from the portal one would think

Unless you land a stud in HS or get a 3 star gem, chances are you will have better success rolling with a experienced QB from the portal than say a RS Freshman or true soph.

Advertisement
I wouldn't be super worried about it tbh. Jacurri is probably transferring. Emory showed some promise (yes, he didn't look amazing but he can develop), and Judd/Nickel haven't made it to campus yet so one of them could be "the guy"...ratings be damned.

I do think it's important for us to take 2 portal kids. My ideal scenario would be taking either Cam Ward or Will Howard as the starter for next year, and bring in a kid who has experience but multiple years left to compete with Emory/Judd/Nickel the year after. I saw one report elsewhere that listed Jaden Rashada as possibly looking to leave ASU...if he did, I'd like to see us kick the tires there again.

Ive come to accept QB room is ALWAYS going to be a bit of a mess. No stud or highly ranked kid (4-5 star) is going to be willing to sit for more than 1-2 years max before hitting the portal. It will always be musical chairs. The days of stacking QB talent and developing them for 3 years to compete before they start are long long gone.

Advertisement
Unfortunately, the backup QB matters. Look at the Jets. We could land our Rogers in the portal and still end up stuck with a depth chart of Emory, a walk on and Judd.

I know its not happening, but in a perfect world we land a 1 year rental AND a younger QB like Moore.

Advertisement
QB will always be a room you look to improve if you can.
Look at USC, they have 2 blue chip recruits waiting for their shot and still look to be competing w/us for a QB transfer.

Optionality. You need that certain starter for 2024. After that, you see who else is in the portal that is demonstrably better than EW, JB, CB and JA, and would be willing to be backup for a year. If one emerges, you go after him regardless of the roster. But you may not find that kid.

Meanwhile, JB is most likely gone after the bowl game. But if he plays well and you don't find a QB2 in the portal, you do as much you can to keep him. Because if QB1 goes down, you don't want to have Emory as your only fallback. Our season is over if we're relying on Bailey or Anderson.

If Jacurri goes we may not even have 2 schollie qbs to practice int he spring.

They gonna need either 2 hs qbs with 1 being early enrollee at least or 2 portals with a grad transfer 1 and someone from fcs or group of 5 with multiple years willing to compete.

Advertisement
Back