Emoni Bates

cookies

Sophomore
Miami made his top 8.

college options: Memphis (presumed leader), Oregon, Baylor, Michigan State, and Miami

pro options: g league, nbl, & overtime elite

Important to note regarding Memphis and Miami, emoni and Jalen Duren played in 2 (?)tournaments this off-season as teammates.

Last edited:
Advertisement
My uniformed opinion says Michigan state, NBL, and overtime elite won’t be real contenders. Oregon just offered him today.

I’d guess Memphis or g league

Last edited:
What will be interesting is if the nba changes the rules for emoni or he has to spend two years seasons before he can enter the league.

His birthdate misses 2022 draft eligibility by about 30 days.

I don’t know if it’s because of DJ Irving, but him putting Miami on there sparks a lot of rumors of him possibly teaming up with Duren. In that case I guess they both stay in HS this year and enroll next. Or Duren stays two years after he reclasses but that’s even more unlikely. Or the left field option, Bates reclasses to 2021 with Duren and they both come here. In that case I would lose my mind as that would be absurd. Either way hopefully this at least puts Miami on the map a little more.

I don’t know if it’s because of DJ Irving, but him putting Miami on there sparks a lot of rumors of him possibly teaming up with Duren. In that case I guess they both stay in HS this year and enroll next. Or Duren stays two years after he reclasses but that’s even more unlikely. Or the left field option, Bates reclasses to 2021 with Duren and they both come here. In that case I would lose my mind as that would be absurd. Either way hopefully this at least puts Miami on the map a little more.
Duren is a 1 & done. He has a great chance at being a lottery pick and a good shot at being top 5. He will be one the youngest players in the 2022 draft. He isn't doing this extra school work to reclassify for 2 years of college

Bates played last year on his dad's school team...don't think theyre doing that again so I expect him to reclassify because HS has nothing left to challenge him. He could do a year at a school like IMG to gain strength before college. I doubt it though. Would be better for him to just do 2 g league years.

His decision will clarify his NBA timeline. More than likely the NBA does not change the rules for him but you never know. His profile + birthdate + skillset has to make it at least a talking point between Silver and other executives. If he chooses the gleague they'll announce whether it's a 1 or 2 year deal ala jaden hardy or scoot henderson. And if he goes to college his dad will probably give an interview with the NBA plans

He seems too big for Overtime Elite but I'd imagine that league offered him more than any other option

Last edited:
Advertisement
Duren is a 1 & done. He has a great chance at being a lottery pick and a good shot at being top 5. He will be one the youngest players in the 2022 draft. He isn't doing this extra school work to reclassify for 2 years of college

Bates played last year on his dad's school team...don't think theyre doing that again so I expect him to reclassify because HS has nothing left to challenge him. He could do a year at a school like IMG to gain strength before college. I doubt it though. Would be better for him to just do 2 g league years.

His decision will clarify his NBA timeline. More than likely the NBA does not change the rules for him but you never know. His profile + birthdate + skillset has to make it at least a talking point between Silver and other executives. If he chooses the gleague they'll announce whether it's a 1 or 2 year deal ala jaden hardy or scoot henderson. And if he goes to college his dad will probably give an interview with the NBA plans

He seems too big for Overtime Elite but I'd imagine that league offered him more than any other option
Idk it just seems so random for him to put Miami on there, if he wasn't at least thinking a little about playing in college. Ofc he decommitted from college already by leaving MSU, but if he really wanted to play with Jalen he could reclass to this year and shock the world and they might change the rules for him. It would seem like a waste for him to spend more than one year anywhere, either college or the G League. Going to Miami or any college for that matter would still be a decent financial option with the NIL rule and he could possibly make a decent chunk of the G League money. Fairly unproven Bama QB got 1mil plus in NIL deals, a guy like Bates should be able to net a decent amount. I think as soon as this EYBL circuit is over and the decision becomes clear for Duren, we should know more about Bates. Very likely that Duren goes against the predictions and goes to the G League to team up with Bates. Gonna know more in the coming weeks, but if anything I hope that the forecasts for Duren going to Memphis are wrong.

Idk it just seems so random for him to put Miami on there, if he wasn't at least thinking a little about playing in college.

I did not say he was not thinking about playing in college. I think he will go to Memphis or the GLeague. I think Miami is better spot compared to MSU, NBL, Oelite, and Oregon though.
Ofc he decommitted from college already by leaving MSU, but if he really wanted to play with Jalen he could reclass to this year and shock the world and they might change the rules for him. It would seem like a waste for him to spend more than one year anywhere, either college or the G League.
It is a waste. Unless Adam Silver gives/already gave the OK, that is what is expected to happen at this point. It is not even beneficial to Bates from the standpoint that being the #1 pick in 2023 > top 3/5 in 2022 since 2023 is Victor Wembanyama's draft year. Bates actually has a better shot of going #1 against Paolo, Duren, Chet, Jabari Smith, etc. than Wembanyama. I think he ends up reclassifying no matter what: whether it is to play with or without Jalen and whether or not the NBA has made a decision on his draft eligibility for 2022.

Last edited:
My uniformed opinion says Michigan state, NBL, and overtime elite won’t be real contenders. Oregon just offered him today.

I’d guess Memphis or g league
If he’s playing college basketball he’s going to MSU. But he’s not playing college basketball

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
He is going to the gleague on that 2 year deal then probably. Homie in here told us MIchigan state never stopped recruiting him and they made it to the 2nd round of top cuts. Imma trust the stranger from cis on this one (bubbacane).

2 years in the gleague is probably the best thing for him too.

Advertisement
Back