Emmert makes nearly 4 million from non-profit, players make nothing

Advertisement
Funny this board of all boards. The NCAA is the only thing that gives Miami a chance. Complain one one thread about the NCAA not attacking bag schools in one thread,
Ncaa is a criminal cabal and should be abolished..

And replace with what? Free market? Bye bye canes

Funny this board of all boards. The NCAA is the only thing that gives Miami a chance. Complain one one thread about the NCAA not attacking bag schools in one thread,

How does allowing student athletes to earn $ person outside of football hurt Miami? Or any other college?

I worked at Pizza Hut while HS and briefly as I attended college....I was still a engineering student.... and no reasonable person or organization would have considered me or others to have been Professional Engineers.

We also started several entrepreneurial $ making ventures outside of engineering ....They also didn't make us Professionals...we were always considered students.

If athletes can earn legal $$ OUTSIDE of football while playing football in college ....its beyond ridiculous to consider them to be professional athletes when the sport or college is NOT paying them😳

The NCAA'S goal is only to keep colleges from paying athletes beyond the full scholarship.

Fine...So why try to control the athletes lives while attending college....beyond the colleges & boosters paying them to play...

Especially if the athletes aren't doing anything illegal while doing legitimate work outside of football while playing?

Makes absolutely NO sense.

Last edited:

Yeah, the money you could make playing ball in one of the largest metropolitan areas and markets in the country just can’t compare to some car payments in Alabama.

Advertisement
Yeah, the money you could make playing ball in one of the largest metropolitan areas and markets in the country just can’t compare to some car payments in Alabama.

Where’s the booster money this metro area’s generated?

Some of you worry about the silliest of things. The best part is how there are so many opinions on things you only have a surface level understanding of. Guess you have to ***** about something though.

Should the floodgates open and players allowed to be paid, the bigs are going to have an even greater advantage over schools like ours.

Advertisement

look up how the ncaa came up with the student athlete model and get back to me...

Miami can compete, but if you think it is a coincidence that the only two national champ threats to the big boy conferences ( USC & UM) are the only two schools since the turn of the century to get hit by the NCAA....

There is already rampant cheating and the NCAA gets to micromanage who can compete, why do you think superconferences wouldnt help the Canes..?

Some of you worry about the silliest of things. The best part is how there are so many opinions on things you only have a surface level understanding of. Guess you have to ***** about something though.

Should the floodgates open and players allowed to be paid, the bigs are going to have an even greater advantage over schools like ours.

Please explain how?

IF being paid by colleges and their boosters remains ILLEGAL....

Respectfully please explain how does an SEC school in Tuscaloosa or Baton Rouge or Big 10 or any Top 5 Conf college etc.... have any advantage over Miami?

Fact is, the opposite could be rationally argued....schools in or close to larger markets may be advantaged

Im specifically saying that allowing players to earn legal $$ ...on their own ...not from colleges or boosters...does NOT give any school ANY significant advantage over others

The only advantage would be for "stars" who already have a recognition advantage that they should be allowed to capitalize on.

I have more than a cursory knowledge of business and free markets.... and am willing and capable of learning ....so please enlighten me...because I don't see the rationale beyond exploiting student athletes.

Simply put, the bigs will just pay theirs whatever is allowed and then backdoor stuff.

Their is misinformation that players can't have a job. They can have a job, at the going rate of what is typical in their area. They can't be paid well above what another regular student or non-student would be paid. It all has to be monitored by the athletic department and recorded. Most collegiate athletes don't have jobs for one reason alone, lack of time. Between classes, mandatory study sessions, workouts, practice, games, travel to and from, etc. The time isn't there for it.

Players get stipends and many still get a infamous named thing here, Pell Grants. They also receive a room and board allowance if living off campus. Athletes also eat far better than your typical student with athlete only dining facilities at you guessed it, zero cost. When their time is done at the school, they also leave with zero debt or medical expenses should they get injured. Cost of tuition and books, again zero.

The idea that these athletes are exploited is ridiculous. Even if you believe that since some could rake in some dough with their names or image, that's a select few. The other couple hundred thousand student athletes are the ones getting a great deal for nothing.

You start paying the bigs will keep up, but those Cinderella stories or seasons are going to come less frequently. Most of those schools are already subsidizing their athletics with money from the regular students that's part of their tuition package.

I kind of rambled on, but football (unlike basketball) isn't a sport that allows teams to be dominant with just a handful of players. You need a bunch of elite talent and they are going places that aren't even on the map as far as being called a large television market. So we can toss the idea that large cities or markets would gain some advantage. Perhaps a slight move up in basketball, but I still doubt it.

Kind of rambled on here, but that's just some thoughts.

Advertisement
Exactly what? You realize that if the “free market” replaced the NCAA, then suddenly money is pumping into Miami football because it would be legal and is a huge attraction in a major media market?

So free market payment of players immediately skyrockets Miami to the top of the food chain? Explain that scenario. Who’s paying the players? How are they getting a return on their investment?

Advertisement
So free market payment of players immediately skyrockets Miami to the top of the food chain? Explain that scenario. Who’s paying the players? How are they getting a return on their investment?

You are really not bright. There are way more opportunities for kids marketing their likeness and brand in a major metropolitan area with a giant tv market than there is in Alabam.

Simply put, the bigs will just pay theirs whatever is allowed and then backdoor stuff.

Their is misinformation that players can't have a job. They can have a job, at the going rate of what is typical in their area. They can't be paid well above what another regular student or non-student would be paid. It all has to be monitored by the athletic department and recorded. Most collegiate athletes don't have jobs for one reason alone, lack of time. Between classes, mandatory study sessions, workouts, practice, games, travel to and from, etc. The time isn't there for it.

Players get stipends and many still get a infamous named thing here, Pell Grants. They also receive a room and board allowance if living off campus. Athletes also eat far better than your typical student with athlete only dining facilities at you guessed it, zero cost. When their time is done at the school, they also leave with zero debt or medical expenses should they get injured. Cost of tuition and books, again zero.

The idea that these athletes are exploited is ridiculous. Even if you believe that since some could rake in some dough with their names or image, that's a select few. The other couple hundred thousand student athletes are the ones getting a great deal for nothing.

You start paying the bigs will keep up, but those Cinderella stories or seasons are going to come less frequently. Most of those schools are already subsidizing their athletics with money from the regular students that's part of their tuition package.

I kind of rambled on, but football (unlike basketball) isn't a sport that allows teams to be dominant with just a handful of players. You need a bunch of elite talent and they are going places that aren't even on the map as far as being called a large television market. So we can toss the idea that large cities or markets would gain some advantage. Perhaps a slight move up in basketball, but I still doubt it.

Kind of rambled on here, but that's just some thoughts.

Since you didn't respond directly I missed your response....but thanks for responding.

I do understand what you're saying .....BUT I disagree with the conclusions that you reached. In fact, you pointed out several restrictions on athletes that make the current NCAA policies more onerous and exploitive.

1st "They can have a job, at the going rate of what is typical in their area. They can't be paid well above what another regular student or non-student would be paid. "

Do you think a CS Computer Science or Engineering College Student , or an MBA finance major working a summer job is paid the same as other students? Our pay was substantial higher than others ....and it was no issue. If they get more because they bring higher value to someone wanting to use their services. What's the problem?

2nd "Between classes, mandatory study sessions, workouts, practice, games, travel to and from, etc. The time isn't there for it."

All Universities offer a wide variety of full scholarships outside of sports. This shows that significantly more mandatory time outside of academics and pursuit if their self interest is required of them ...than other students who are also on full University scholarships..such as academic scholarships.

So its obvious that far more is required of them outside of academics .....for the same scholarship that some others get. ...beyond their food and medical services....BUT with less time for their academics and only for 4 years....

So it's an obvious fallacy that they have the same opportunities to graduate as all other students ....although many do ...since much more time outside of academics is required of them than other students. It also forces many to enroll in lightweight classes in order to graduate. Lightweight classes that provide lightweight future opportunities....Don't you think that is injurious to the athletes future....and only benefits the University? That's your GREAT DEAL for them?

A GREAT DEAL would be paying for 5 years instead of only 4 years ...to account for the mandatory time lost to them playing for the University... outside of pursuing their own academic self interest....now that would provide more equality with the academic opportunities other students on scholarship have

As for the capitalistic opportunities available for them to control or share in the use of their own images, apparences, endorsements and other earning opportunities too numerous to name....Even the lesser known can take advantage by combining as groups.

The opportunities are there without devoting much time outside of their current requirements....just saying it won't work doesn't make it so.

I simply disagree that this system was set up for the benefit of these student-Athletes.

Advertisement
Back