Email to Shalala and Response

jakearoma1

Recruit
My email to Shalala:

I am writing to you to express my displeasure for the actions of the athletic department during Saturday’s basketball game. A university employee confiscated two signs created by students that were calling for the removal of Al Golden as the head football coach. The signs did not contain vulgarity and expressed the opinions shared by the majority of the fan base. A university is meant to be an environment where new ideas are cultivated, assumptions are questioned, and opinions are discussed freely. These opinions include those that are unpopular, and those which the university administration disagrees with. In a recent Dialogue letter, you stated the following: “We are a family of thinkers and doers who act with passion and purpose. And the best action you can take to effect change is to let your voice be heard.” I find it ironic that when students want their voices to be heard, the university censors their opinions because they expose the fecklessness of the athletic department. I am disappointed and concerned at the measure that the university is willing to employ in order to silence dissent. If the university could show the same promptness and passion in dealing with our ailing football team as they do to silence criticism, then perhaps the students would not have bring those signs to the basketball games.

Her response:

We don’t allow signs at games as far as I know—but I didn’t see any signs or many students at the game—we listen to all voices. Most BB venues have put limits or signage for safety reasons. Let me assure you our students voices are never silenced here!

Our next basketball game is Saturday at 4:00 pm.

Advertisement
Whose kidding whom, she didn't know about the signs. Perhaps she should have inquired what the signs said, however I am she would have acquiesced to silence.

http://www.bankunitedcenter.com/venue_building.php#1

ITEMS NOT ALLOWED

•no aerosol cans
•no alcoholic beverages
•no illegal drugs
•no animals
(except certified service dogs for disabled patrons)
•no beach balls or other inflatables
•no bota bags
•no wine skins
•no bullhorns
•no noise makers
•no cameras*
•no recording devices*
•no confetti
•no fireworks
•no firearms
•no weapons
•no backpacks

•no bags larger than 8 1/2" X 11"
•no glass bottles
•no aluminum cans
•no coolers
•no thermos containers
•no laser pointers
•no outside food or beverages
•no skateboards
•no roller blades
•no sticks or clubs
•no stools
•no folding chairs
•no water bottles/mugs
•no baby strollers
•no laptop computers
•no umbrellas

http://www.bankunitedcenter.com/venue_building.php#1

ITEMS NOT ALLOWED

•no aerosol cans
•no alcoholic beverages
•no illegal drugs
•no animals
(except certified service dogs for disabled patrons)
•no beach balls or other inflatables
•no bota bags
•no wine skins
•no bullhorns
•no noise makers
•no cameras*
•no recording devices*
•no confetti
•no fireworks
•no firearms
•no weapons
•no backpacks

•no bags larger than 8 1/2" X 11"
•no glass bottles
•no aluminum cans
•no coolers
•no thermos containers
•no laser pointers
•no outside food or beverages
•no skateboards
•no roller blades
•no sticks or clubs
•no stools
•no folding chairs
•no water bottles/mugs
•no baby strollers
•no laptop computers
•no umbrellas

Not true - I saw The Beast at a game.

Advertisement
I call 100% BS on OP

1. Shalala will never response directly to an email like this. Her emails before they even get to her are screened and any "complaints" regarding the football program etc go in to a special folder called trash

2. Even if you get a response it will be from the department that deals with that specific issue.

3. and even IF her office response it will be her assistant but in a case like this considering everything that is going on and her being on her way out....i am not buying..

* or i could be wrong but i dealt with her office many times with different people and never seen her actually respond to an email herself to a random person

Most venues don't allow signs for safety reasons?

Pussification of this country. What safety hazzard could that possibly violate? I guess people are constantly tripping over the signs as they waddle their way to the concessions stands?

I call 100% BS on OP

1. Shalala will never response directly to an email like this. Her emails before they even get to her are screened and any "complaints" regarding the football program etc go in to a special folder called trash

2. Even if you get a response it will be from the department that deals with that specific issue.

3. and even IF her office response it will be her assistant but in a case like this considering everything that is going on and her being on her way out....i am not buying..

* or i could be wrong but i dealt with her office many times with different people and never seen her actually respond to an email herself to a random person

Not true at all. I emailed her one night about 10:00pm about firing Golden and she responded in 5 minutes from her iPhone.

I call 100% BS on OP

Only reason I believe she may have responded is that OP was diplomatic, quoted her from a student letter, and called her out for her hypocrisy on the University's "freedom of speech" stance (which naturally is very liberal - until of course you say something liberals don't agree with).

Advertisement
Not sure if I believe she really responded, but if this is true what a snarky response to say that she didn't see many students at the game.

Will the students bring sins in numbers to the Miami vs. Boston College game this Saturday? There were also people shouting out things like Goodbye Al.

well she lied or it typical liberal fashion didn't remember
Fonzi and Marks stole signs that they had no reason stealing, no stadium rule was broken

she actually replies. honestly, i wouldnt expect her to see signs, she can't see the 1 million signs that her Golden can't coach

Advertisement
I call 100% BS on OP

I never post anything, so why would I have any reason to invent something now? I noticed the remark about there being very little students at the game. Many of you may not like her, be she is very intelligent, and a skilled politician. I'm still debating how I'm going to reply to her. In any case, we need to continue to express our concerns in a useful manner. We have enough facts on our side so we do not need to be extravagant when contacting the administration, or with any potential banners, signs, etc. If we are disrespectful, we will dilute the message. I hope everyone who attends the next game brings a sign in protest, especially the students.

Last edited:
How do you expect her to see the signs at a BB game when she cant see the multiple banners at the football games?

Advertisement
Did you see the signs Shalala
image.jpg

Instead of signs and banners, should donate to t-shirts given out free to students to wear to the game. Nothing vulgar, just something with a strong message that can't be missed.

What a useless gargoyle, taking a shot at the students ... who are home for winter break ...

Advertisement
Back