Elder and Griffin

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
Elder will play football this fall, then shift to basketball –- possibly in mid-November if he redshirts, Al Golden said. Elder said Friday he won’t pick up a basketball until he’s done with football this season and “hopefully if I can make difference in football, I won’t redshirt.”

At this year’s Final Four, “two guys from the state of Tennessee came up to me,” coach Jim Larranaga said, “and they asked me: Do you know how lucky you are that your football program signed Corn Elder? Because he’s the best basketball player in the state…' He has tremendous defensive skills. He knows how to run a team. Great leadership qualities.”

Elder could end up sharing point guard this season with guard/forward Garrius Adams and Belgian freshman Emmanuel LeComte.

Larranaga said juggling both sports “is more difficult” now than many years ago “because at younger ages you’re told to specialize. [Elder and Griffin] are such gifted athletes that they’ve enjoyed great success in both.”

Larranaga appreciates that Golden allowed Elder, during the summer, “to come over in the afternoon and get to know the basketball players.” Elder said he used that time to “show them what I can do.”

By the way, Elder said he spoke to Griffin a few weeks ago about the challenge of juggling two sports “and he should be coming soon.” But UM believes it’s too early to tell if Griffin will qualify and enroll in December, which Griffin said is his intention.

Ranked No. 41 in this class by rivals.com as a football recruit (third among receivers) and No. 81 for basketball, Griffin “is a big red zone threat like Tommy Streeter was,” Golden said. “Maybe he’ll grow into a Jimmy Graham.”

Larranaga loves him: “He’s one of the great run and jump athletes in the nation. You can throw him a lob pass anywhere around the rim and he can catch it and throw it down. He reminds me of DeQuan Jones athletically."

Griffin’s high school coach, Tim Teykl, said “he’s in the top one percent in football, 10 percent in basketball.” But he needs to qualify first.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/#storylink=cpy

Last edited:
Advertisement
we got guards

yeah we got some guards

we got point guards

yeah we got some 2 guards.

**** we even got a couple 3's.

yeah..... we got some guards.

Advertisement
Back