Effort, energy, improvement, and cohesiveness

To be honest, I’m pretty surprised that the locker room didn’t implode with the extreme level of favoritism and seniority, particularly on the Def side of the ball.

I’m glad @Novacane32000 is going on a downvoting spree but yet restricts his profile

Good thing you have your keyboard to hide behind in life…. Keep slurpin you ****

Advertisement
As a die hard fan, these are the things I look for from game 1, till the end of the season. All of these things are coming together.

Watching seasons like 2013 and 2020 unfold are sometimes more frustrating because despite the record, you know the inevitable is going to happen.

I was complaining earlier this year about wanting to see the players give a **** and I am seeing that right now. This team has blocked out the noise and toxicity that us fans tend to have when losing. They are playing for each other and they seem to have found that spark. That intangible quality can be the difference between a win and a loss.

Despite all the injuries, adversity, and distractions, this team is enjoyable to watch because they didn't give up when they could have. This is an appreciation to the whole team and as a fan, I'm very interested in seeing how the season unfolds.

* I know this thread will get derailed by the fire Manny Diaz talk and about our defensive shortcomings, but I'm just a passionate fan and am pleased with this teams resolve

You can't dismiss the disaster that is the defensive side of the ball and try to diminish it—going on offense how the post will get derailed by Diaz and what you're calling "shortcomings" on his side of the ball—as you're leaving two massive subplots to make your own point.

Great, there appear to be a few young dawgs on this team—but without a yeoman's effort under center the past two weeks—Miami is 2-6 right now and all that goodwill is out the window. The kids deserved these last two wins, but Diaz doesn't—clock-burning late in both, getting conservative (learning nothing from the past) and getting bailed out here and there.

This defense is abysmal; almost 2,000 yards and 139 points given up the past four games—countered by 800 yards, seven touchdowns and one pick by TVD the past two (which resulted in wins by a combined five points.)

Too many fans are getting blinded by the quick endorphin rush that comes from an actual Saturday win and getting to replay a game on Sunday.

Manny Diaz got bailed out when LSU took Blake Baker off his hands—and with a chance to bring in a true alpha to help run that side of the ball, he declined as his ego told him he was the best man for the job (and he's proven to be the control freak many have accused him of being.)

His defense is one of the worst in the nation; including basic fundamentals, as the Canes were officially the worst-tackling team in all of college football as of a few weeks ago.

Without TVD saving this team the past two weeks, the talk wouldn't be intangibles like "kids giving a ****"—as the different between wins and losses comes down to a head coach's game plan, his knowledge of X's and O's, playing a CEO-type role and the players executing.

What you're pretty much saying here is that the kids are overcoming all the toxicity of the program—including head coaching incompetence—to eke out wins as their quarterback played all-world the past eight quarters.

Pickett's two boneheaded interceptions were the difference in this game—missing a streaking receiver for a score on the first, throwing into double coverage instead—as well as an overthrow on his second. Both passed would've done even more damage to the 587 and 34 points the Canes already gave up.

Great, Miami got two wins over sub-par ACC competition and the kids are showing some fight—but neither are building blocks for championship-caliber football if the guy calling the shots is an incompetent in-over-his-head fraud and megalomaniac—which can't be ignored in your feel-good version of events.

Let's see what the next four games bring—as we're now at that familiar point where Miami is back in position to win-out and is theoretically "better" than everyone else on their schedule. They just won two games where the pressure was all on the other "better" teams—now it's on them.

In the past, this is precisely where the team got big-headed under Diaz—believing their own hype in 2019, after eking out a win at Pitt, beating a bad FSU team soundly in Tallahassee and rolling Louisville at home in the rain—only to no-show against FIU (which Diaz attributed to big-headedness and believing their own hype from a three game win-streak as a 6-4 team. Miami then lost at Duke and was shutout in a bowl game against Louisiana Tech.

If Diaz can turn 2-4 into 9-4—I'll give him some credit (barring his defense plays better, as well)—but anything less is a massive strike against him, as 2-4 was all on him.

Last edited:
It reminds me of Major League, with Blake James as the owner who wants the team to lose. Maybe Manny has a life-size cut-out of Blake in the locker room that gets more naked with each win.
Nervous South Park GIF

Finding a QB that can put up points was the biggest change as that has a trickle down effect on the rest of the team. Manny is still coaching for his job with 4 games left and he can't depend on TVD to play hero every week as it's just not sustainable as defenses will adjust and he'll make some freshman mistakes along the way which is expected. Future is bright with him. We've been in 5 dog fights this year and are 3-2 in them. If we let GT, FSU, VT, or even Duke hang around into the 4th, we'll drop 1-2 more games and that's the end of Manny.
TVD is going to have a bad game eventually. Can Manny's D bail them out when it happens? Until then winning covers up a whole lot of flaws.

TVD and the offense has been fun to watch. We probably should have lost the last two games but it is what it us. Luckily for Mandy, a player can't recover a fumble after his helmet is ripped off otherwise he'd be working overtime at his mall kiosk jewelry stand to make ends meet right now.

Advertisement
TVD is going to have a bad game eventually. Can Manny's D bail them out when it happens? Until then winning covers up a whole lot of flaws.

Yup. Winning changes the narrative until the next L pops up. Defense still can't cover, tackling has improved from nation's worst to just bad, LBs remain atrocious if forced to play lateral or in coverage, STs outside of Hedley remains bad, and we're still a heavily penalized team. The last 2 wins have been fun and exciting with the young guys out there (who are only out there due to injuries which is another topic) but how can you continue to win despite those listed issues? It's a house of cards right now...

This team has never stopped fighting. The rumors about the locker room being lost were a crock of sheeit. This team is interesting to watch and I’m pulling for the players to be successful.
I knew things were different when Nesta posted the pic of Manny on the MJ head going for the dunk with #MoneyManny after we beat Pitt and he didnt even make the trip! These players are sending Manny out in style. **** maybe Manny can even get a 2nd chance at a lower level P5 school if he gets lucky. There will be alot of openings at years end. A 7 game win streak will be appealing to some lower P5 team. (if that win streak happens).

Cant tell me Manny cant catch on at a USF level school after they fire Jeff Scott.

And it’s one of the worse takes on CIS. Blame Manny for losses but no credit for wins. no logic to it.
His defense did not win us any games, but they did lose us our other games. He earns double the blame for the uva game for being a ducking pushy with two minutes remaining and kneeling the ball

Advertisement
His defense did not win us any games, but they did lose us our other games. He earns double the blame for the uva game for being a ducking pushy with two minutes remaining and kneeling the ball

Yeah he should have been more aggressive like they were against UNC.

Uh, scratch that.

After the Virginia game I was talking to one of my grown sons who is a lifer Cane (he grew up in my house). He asked me why I was so excited. Our Canes came out hitting people like they hadn't earlier in the year. We fought and clawed back into the game and set up a chip shot to win against a Virginia team that always gives us trouble. Remember 48-0? I was proud of the guts our team showed.
He thought we were going to get drubbed by NC and we came out with the same fire and grit and had the game in our grasp. The team kept that fire in their bellies for the next 2 games. We tackled harder and smarter and our confidence grew, especially on offense. A star was born at QB. Rooster showed his ability. OLine came together. Our young players on D started to shine. I have not enjoyed Canes football this much in a long while. Beat Georgia Tech! Go Canes!
I dig it! Go Canes!

We can both agree that a DC is needed but it doesn’t change anything. It’s Manny’s team. He gets credit for the recent classes currently “saving his job.”

Advertisement
You can't dismiss the disaster that is the defensive side of the ball and try to diminish it—going on offense how the post will get derailed by Diaz and what you're calling "shortcomings" on his side of the ball—as you're leaving two massive subplots to make your own point.

Great, there appear to be a few young dawgs on this team—but without a yeoman's effort under center the past two weeks—Miami is 2-6 right now and all that goodwill is out the window. The kids deserved these last two wins, but Diaz doesn't—clock-burning late in both, getting conservative (learning nothing from the past) and getting bailed out here and there.

This defense is abysmal; almost 2,000 yards and 139 points given up the past four games—countered by 800 yards, seven touchdowns and one pick by TVD the past two (which resulted in wins by a combined five points.)

Too many fans are getting blinded by the quick endorphin rush that comes from an actual Saturday win and getting to replay a game on Sunday.

Manny Diaz got bailed out when LSU took Blake Baker off his hands—and with a chance to bring in a true alpha to help run that side of the ball, he declined as his ego told him he was the best man for the job (and he's proven to be the control freak many have accused him of being.)

His defense is one of the worst in the nation; including basic fundamentals, as the Canes were officially the worst-tackling team in all of college football as of a few weeks ago.

Without TVD saving this team the past two weeks, the talk wouldn't be intangibles like "kids giving a ****"—as the different between wins and losses comes down to a head coach's game plan, his knowledge of X's and O's, playing a CEO-type role and the players executing.

What you're pretty much saying here is that the kids are overcoming all the toxicity of the program—including head coaching incompetence—to eke out wins as their quarterback played all-world the past eight quarters.

Pickett's two boneheaded interceptions were the difference in this game—missing a streaking receiver for a score on the first, throwing into double coverage instead—as well as an overthrow on his second. Both passed would've done even more damage to the 587 and 34 points the Canes already gave up.

Great, Miami got two wins over sub-par ACC competition and the kids are showing some fight—but neither are building blocks for championship-caliber football if the guy calling the shots is an incompetent in-over-his-head fraud and megalomaniac—which can't be ignored in your feel-good version of events.

Let's see what the next four games bring—as we're now at that familiar point where Miami is back in position to win-out and is theoretically "better" than everyone else on their schedule. They just won two games where the pressure was all on the other "better" teams—now it's on them.

In the past, this is precisely where the team got big-headed under Diaz—believing their own hype in 2019, after eking out a win at Pitt, beating a bad FSU team soundly in Tallahassee and rolling Louisville at home in the rain—only to no-show against FIU (which Diaz attributed to big-headedness and believing their own hype from a three game win-streak as a 6-4 team. Miami then lost at Duke and was shutout in a bowl game against Louisiana Tech.

If Diaz can turn 2-4 into 9-4—I'll give him some credit (barring his defense plays better, as well)—but anything less is a massive strike against him, as 2-4 was all on him.
Who were the boneheaded turnovers on in the MSU, UVA and UNC games?

As a die hard fan, these are the things I look for from game 1, till the end of the season. All of these things are coming together.

Watching seasons like 2013 and 2020 unfold are sometimes more frustrating because despite the record, you know the inevitable is going to happen.

I was complaining earlier this year about wanting to see the players give a **** and I am seeing that right now. This team has blocked out the noise and toxicity that us fans tend to have when losing. They are playing for each other and they seem to have found that spark. That intangible quality can be the difference between a win and a loss.

Despite all the injuries, adversity, and distractions, this team is enjoyable to watch because they didn't give up when they could have. This is an appreciation to the whole team and as a fan, I'm very interested in seeing how the season unfolds.

* I know this thread will get derailed by the fire Manny Diaz talk and about our defensive shortcomings, but I'm just a passionate fan and am pleased with this teams resolve
This isn’t the result of some intangible quality the team happened to stumble upon. They found a very tangible QB whose playing elite ball.

You mentioned injuries.. without them, you wouldn’t have started this thread. King would still be playing in a limited offense, with underperforming upperclassman starting on both sides of the ball.

Advertisement
Yup. Winning changes the narrative until the next L pops up. Defense still can't cover, tackling has improved from nation's worst to just bad, LBs remain atrocious if forced to play lateral or in coverage, STs outside of Hedley remains bad, and we're still a heavily penalized team. The last 2 wins have been fun and exciting with the young guys out there (who are only out there due to injuries which is another topic) but how can you continue to win despite those listed issues? It's a house of cards right now...

1000%

The slurpers don’t want to acknowledge this

TVD is playing at an absolutely insane level right now. Which is what it has taken to get these two W’s in conjunction with Manny’s Def.

Just like last year our team narrowly wins when our QB plays a near perfect game.

I take each game one at a time, and have zero expectations. I’d suggest you guys do the same

Wait, you wanted them to go for the tie in that situation vs going for the win?
No I was pointing out how a batted ball resulted in a game ending turnover. There was no need to take that kind of chance when a chip shot FG wins the UVA game.

Advertisement
Back