Effects Of The Portal On HS Recruiting...

"Because of the sheer volume of potential players, coaches have altered the way they handle recruiting. Football programs at the I-A level have 25 scholarships available for each class. The bulk of that allotment still is used on high school players, but teams are now holding as many as five spots open for transfers that can fill needs or make an immediate impact.

If the 130 schools at the Division I-A level each reserved five scholarships for transfers, that would mean 650 fewer scholarships for high school athletes.

“With only 25 initials per year, the decision comes down to if you want to take a kid and let him sit in your program for a year to be eligible or not vs. taking a high school player,” Warner said. “It affects everything. With so many transfers, the I-AA and Division II schools are going to get more I-A kickbacks, meaning less high school players are going to be signed to those levels, too, because of eligibility reasons. The system is flawed right now.”

Advertisement
They could easily fix this by allowing schools to get an extra available schollie for each underclassman that transfers out thru the portal or not count portal transfers against the 25. NCAA is just dumb.
Or just let the transfer portal fill rosters. Say you sign a full 25 HS players, but are still 7 under the 85. Why not allow 7 portals?

I think it could be a positive and help parity in college football. Say a top ten team wants to save 5 spots and is recruiting a good player, maybe that player gets a scholly from a team ranked 11-30 and goes there. It may improve the talent level of schools ranked lower or pushing for the top 25.
Am I off here or does this make sense?
I like the the other ideas above also. Seems like a pretty simple fix, but maybe not for the NCAA. They can mess anything up.

Seems that with the current situation high school players would be locked out and a lot of teams would have less than the full allotment of players.

Somehow teams that are forced to play with less players need to get some accommodation, if only to help more HS players get a chance at a scholarship. Obviously, some of the top teams could then push players to the portal so they could get more recruits signed. This would be another unfair advantage for the big boys.

Advertisement
I think it works as is. If you actually look at the list its 90% players that were not seeing the field. To avoid a total sht show every year they make them sit and lose a year. For a select few Grad transfers who want a bigger stage or just more playing time and last ditch effort to reach the NFL they have that option.

Or just let the transfer portal fill rosters. Say you sign a full 25 HS players, but are still 7 under the 85. Why not allow 7 portals?

Exactly the NCAA finds a way to over complicate the simplest of ideas. As they try to maintain this charade of amateurism.

If I don’t have 85 players I should be able to bring in as many transfers to get up to that number.

I don’t think any team worth their salt is going to leave 5 spots open though.

Exactly the NCAA finds a way to over complicate the simplest of ideas. As they try to maintain this charade of amateurism.

If I don’t have 85 players I should be able to bring in as many transfers to get up to that number.

I don’t think any team worth their salt is going to leave 5 spots open though.

The 25/85 rule is antiquated now. I agree with you. Fix the system in a way that allows teams to carry the 85 number. Naysayers are going to say teams will be quicker to let players go if they think they can get someone better.

Advertisement
They could easily fix this by allowing schools to get an extra available schollie for each underclassman that transfers out thru the portal or not count portal transfers against the 25. NCAA is just dumb.
That sounds good for Miami until takes 10 or more transfers each year to flush out its misses in recruiting.

That sounds good for Miami until takes 10 or more transfers each year to flush out its misses in recruiting.

I’d rather they take transfers than sit around hoping some bum eventually turns the corner and gets better.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back