Edgerrin James & Jimmy Johnson among HOF semifinalists

Advertisement
Dont think edge will get in this time around because LT is elgible this year too.

Why is Terrell Davis on the list? Why is he being considered?

Absolute joke man. I even went back to look at stats or if there was something getting past me. 3 great Seasons, one MVP and then nothing -- maybe argue he's one of the best playoffs RBs? I don't see why he's being considered.

Advertisement
The fact that Don Coryell isn't in the HOF is a joke. The guy most responsible for the modern passing game besides Sid Gillman and Bill Walsh should be in the HOF. Yes, he wasn't able to get the Chargers to the Super Bowl, but his contribution to the game is seen every single week.

The fact that Don Coryell isn't in the HOF is a joke. The guy most responsible for the modern passing game besides Sid Gillman and Bill Walsh should be in the HOF. Yes, he wasn't able to get the Chargers to the Super Bowl, but his contribution to the game is seen every single week.

Couldn't agree more. Chargers defense had to be coached by D'Onofrio's dad, b/c they just bled points. They held that offense back. If they had a half way decent def, no team would've beat them w that passing attack

Couldn't agree more. Chargers defense had to be coached by D'Onofrio's dad, b/c they just bled points. They held that offense back. If they had a half way decent def, no team would've beat them w that passing attack

I think that Coryell was so enamored with his offense, he never gave his D the attention it deserved. That said, he was the guy that really figured out how to use athletic tight ends, he was the guy who made teams defend the whole field via the passing game. Never mind the fact that guys like Gibbs(Who got his start under him, like John Madden) openly admit that they used his concepts extensively. The guy was a beast, and if you are a student of strategic offensive football, you know and appreciate what he did. The only difference between Coryell and Walsh is that Walsh won Super Bowls. That's how good Don was.

Advertisement

Absolute joke man. I even went back to look at stats or if there was something getting past me. 3 great Seasons, one MVP and then nothing -- maybe argue he's one of the best playoffs RBs? I don't see why he's being considered.

Exactly. I don't understand why he is even nominated with such a small sample size of great play.

Because he carried Elway to his last 2 Super Bowls, so I guess as a consolation prize they'll put him in the HOF for it.

He played 7 seasons. 3 of them were nothing. 1 of them was above average. 3 of them were great.

55th in Rushing Yards
47th in Rushing TDs

Even if it was 4 great seasons, which it wasn't, I don't think that is enough to get you into the HOF. In no way is he better, or should even be considered, over players like LT and Edge.

Advertisement
Because he carried Elway to his last 2 Super Bowls, so I guess as a consolation prize they'll put him in the HOF for it.

He played 7 seasons. 3 of them were nothing. 1 of them was above average. 3 of them were great.

55th in Rushing Yards
47th in Rushing TDs

Even if it was 4 great seasons, which it wasn't, I don't think that is enough to get you into the HOF. In no way is he better, or should even be considered, over players like LT and Edge.

If Davis gets in, then Sterling Sharp and Sean T should get in. I know Davis has two SBs, but he's being judged on 4 seasons and the "what if" potential. Sterling was a top 3 WR at his position b4 the career ending injury. Sean T was the best S, period, b4 his untimely death (no offense to my guy E Reed). Both had "what if" factors. If Davis gets in, this could be considered a very slippery slope. Again, I understand he has 2 rings, but it took Haley, who has 5 rings and was an impactful player his entire career w 100 sacks, the skin of his teeth to get in...citing he played on loaded teams. Well playing on a team that featured Atwater, Romanowski, Neal, White Lightning, Smith, Sharpe, Traylor, Pryce, Braxton, and some guy named Elway is a pretty loaded team as well.

I'm rather surprised Johnson isn't in the Hall already. He won 2 Super Bowls in just 5 years in Dallas, and is often credited for a 3rd. All that was after taking over a pretty bad team.

Advertisement

55th in Rushing Yards
47th in Rushing TDs

I wouldn't vote for TD - but I understand the argument. TD is the classic argument for "is it better to be dominant for a couple years, or very good over many years?"

I think it's forgotten how great he was over 3 years:

- TD & Barry Sanders are the only RB's to have 3 consecutive 1,500+ yd seasons
- TD gained the most rushing over a 3 years span than any RB ever
- TD is 6th on the all-time Playoff rushing list. He was dominant in every playoff game he played.
- TD carried Elway to 2 Super Bowls, and is an NFL & Super Bowl MVP

I agree his career wasn't long enough, but he was ridiculous for 3 years

Torry Holt and Hines Ward will be interesting votes. They'll both have to wait - but if they eventually get in it's a good sign for Andre Johnson.

Advertisement
Back