Early birds get dewormed?

jkdood

All ACC
Captureaasx.PNG

This rule is a mess and sure could use some sensible change. Probably applies to NFL (and agents like Peter?) as well, but the NBA aspirations of Dewan sure seem to have hosed him (once he chose to return to Miami.)

It’s irrational not to expect early-pro wannabe’s to get some guidance and assistance on such an important decision. And agents like Dawkins are eager for a payday client and will fork over jobs, gifts, and cash to grease the wheel. Hotel and airfare to see your son play costs thousands and probably is a perk few can easily say no to.

The reporting requirements are harsh; and who wants to be a rat? Even if you get yourself a lawyer (which ain’t cheap) there’s a fine line between “agent” and a “lawyer who represents you” in the NCAA minds. Change is needed badly!

Advertisement
Lady Canes versus Purdue at 7PM Big10-ACC challenge... don't see TV or watchESPN/ACCnet coverage. What a bummer!

Lady Canes versus Purdue at 7PM Big10-ACC challenge... don't see TV or watchESPN/ACCnet coverage. What a bummer!

The Big Ten channel is carrying the game but I think you pay for that. You would think Espn 3 / Watch would be carrying this game like you said. I just Google Miami vs Purdue and they give you completely up to the minute time and scores.

Interesting I thought WVUM would at least carry it. Another inauspicious start. There is too much talent on this team to lay another egg against a non top 25 team. Montpelier is underachievig etc etc

Advertisement
End of 3rd quarter, Lady Canes have closed to within 3. Once trailed by 13. Go Canes.

The Big Ten channel is carrying the game but I think you pay for that. You would think Espn 3 / Watch would be carrying this game like you said. I just Google Miami vs Purdue and they give you completely up to the minute time and scores.
One advantage of U of Maryland going to the B1G is that here in the DC-MD area we get the Big 10 Network for free.

Interesting I thought WVUM would at least carry it. Another inauspicious start. There is too much talent on this team to lay another egg against a non top 25 team. Montpelier is underachievig etc etc

Yep, a player averaging 15 points and 11 boards per night is underachieving. Despite not having her best stuff last night, she still chipped in 8 points and 7 boards. Hof was a beast inside, so she saw most of the touches, and rightfully so. Miami lost because Purdue was otherworldly from deep. For any team to shoot 66% from deep, that's some "It's just not going to be your night" type of stuff. That said, the team is in decent shape, even though they should have gotten a split between ISU and Purdue.

By the way, Purdue is a solid team, don't let UConn's beatdown fool you. They will be a team on the bubble for the tournament, just like they were last year. They will pick up some wins on their home floor, like they've always done.

Advertisement
Yep, a player averaging 15 points and 11 boards per night is underachieving. Despite not having her best stuff last night, she still chipped in 8 points and 7 boards. Hof was a beast inside, so she saw most of the touches, and rightfully so. Miami lost because Purdue was otherworldly from deep. For any team to shoot 66% from deep, that's some "It's just not going to be your night" type of stuff. That said, the team is in decent shape, even though they should have gotten a split between ISU and Purdue.

By the way, Purdue is a solid team, don't let UConn's beatdown fool you. They will be a team on the bubble for the tournament, just like they were last year. They will pick up some wins on their home floor, like they've always done.

Well like I said I did not see it. But it looks like when this team gets down early it reveals the uglier side. We have a top 25 team according to the pollsters good team my contention while Katie is a true blood and guts Hurricane and I love her she is making excuses and unable to adjust. I'm not going to be a apologist you seem to play that hand.

Well like I said I did not see it. But it looks like when this team gets down early it reveals the uglier side. We have a top 25 team according to the pollsters good team my contention while Katie is a true blood and guts Hurricane and I love her she is making excuses and unable to adjust. I'm not going to be a apologist you seem to play that hand.

I guess pointing out facts and logic is now apologizing for a coach that doesn't need it. Miami women's basketball is far better off than the mess it was before Katie showed up. If she was to get canned by Miami, she wouldn't be unemployed past sundown, and most likely would end up at a better overall program. Yes, this program has to break through and get to the Sweet 16, but if that's your primary gripe for Miami Women's Basketball, then that's not half bad.

I'm just curious, is there a list of cliches this fanbase spits out, regardless of circumstance? Meier has made a ton of adjustments this year, namely the style of play. Miami under Meier has historically been a small uptempo team that uses a tough press in order to score in bunches. With Hof and Mompremier being the best players on the team this year, Miami has become more of a half court, ground and pound team. Guess what? When you play that way, you can't afford to get into shootouts. Purdue, due to their unusually high 3P% made it into a shootout, and Miami couldn't keep up. Had Miami still been a guard dominant team(Like they were two years ago with Money Mot and JT3), they would have stood more of a chance, and most likely been able to keep pace. That said, Miami most likely see another team this season that shoots **** near 70% from deep.

I guess pointing out facts and logic is now apologizing for a coach that doesn't need it. Miami women's basketball is far better off than the mess it was before Katie showed up. If she was to get canned by Miami, she wouldn't be unemployed past sundown, and most likely would end up at a better overall program. Yes, this program has to break through and get to the Sweet 16, but if that's your primary gripe for Miami Women's Basketball, then that's not half bad.

I'm just curious, is there a list of cliches this fanbase spits out, regardless of circumstance? Meier has made a ton of adjustments this year, namely the style of play. Miami under Meier has historically been a small uptempo team that uses a tough press in order to score in bunches. With Hof and Mompremier being the best players on the team this year, Miami has become more of a half court, ground and pound team. Guess what? When you play that way, you can't afford to get into shootouts. Purdue, due to their unusually high 3P% made it into a shootout, and Miami couldn't keep up. Had Miami still been a guard dominant team(Like they were two years ago with Money Mot and JT3), they would have stood more of a chance, and most likely been able to keep pace. That said, Miami most likely see another team this season that shoots **** near 70% from deep.

Katie pointed out in her last presser more than once the brutal schedule the team had to face early in the season. Be it right or wrong she had a look in her eyes that hopefully did not translate down to her players. The first loss was tough to watch and like you said Purdue was on fire. But even in that game we were never in it . So lets hope the pattern does not keep repeating itself and I hope your positive thoughts overcome my negative doubts we shall see. Katie has been here 9 years this could be her best chance this is the right kind of team to be elite.

Last edited:
Katie pointed out in her last presser more than once the brutal schedule the team had to face early in the season. Be it right or wrong she had a look in her eyes that hopefully did not translate down to her players. The first loss was tough to watch and like you said Purdue was on fire. But even in that game we were never in it . So lets hope the pattern does not keep repeating itself and I hope your positive thoughts overcome my negative doubts we shall see. Katie has been here 9 years this could be her best chance this is the right kind of team to be elite.

So we are reading body language now? Please tell me this is a joke. Coach Meier is a miserable person after any kind of loss, the armchair psychology crap has to stop. By the way, Miami was still in the game at half time, so I don't know how anyone could state that they weren't in the game at any point. The funny part is that you don't realize that this isn't Katie's best team. The 2011 team was, she had two legit WNBA players on the squad and some young guns. Miami lost Morgan Stroman towards the end of the year, she was by far the team's most versatile player. Miami then lost arguably the best pure scorer on the team before the NCAAT even started. That was a team that had Stroman and Williams been available for the postseason could have made a run. They didn't, and lost to a Gonzaga team that was allowed to host, despite not being a high seed. This team has obvious holes, despite having a lot of bodies. There isn't a Shanise Johnson on the roster, and while the 2011 squad didn't have a Emese Hof or a Beatrice Mompremier, Stef Yderstrom is a huge upgrade over Laura Cornelius.

Advertisement
Wonder how a school in a rural, remote area of Connecticut became THE destination school for great women's hoops players. And, if they could do it, why we (and 98% of other schools) can't?

Wonder how a school in a rural, remote area of Connecticut became THE destination school for great women's hoops players. And, if they could do it, why we (and 98% of other schools) can't?

They hit on an All Time GOAT coach, one that despite getting offers to coach men is happy coaching at UConn, for whatever reason. That said, that's a unique outlier, and you don't make decisions based on outliers. That's how you end up like LSU, firing Les Miles(and ending up with a significant downgrade) just because he couldn't be Nick Saban. No one can be that.

No one can be UConn right now. You don't fire Meier or any good coach, unless you are sure you can get an upgrade, and I don't see a guaranteed upgrade that Miami could realistically land. Maybe when Katie decides to walk away(Which will most likely be years if not decades from now), some hot shot can come here and do what Geno did, but odds are, that's not going to happen again.

Advertisement
Canedude, UConn has basically been WBB for how long now? A dynasty! In their last two "bad" seasons, they were 36-0 each year, with a 2 point loss in the Championship game. Most games are not even competitive (within 30 points when you're talking UConn).

This has NOT been good for Womens' basketball for decades now. UConn is far more than an "outlier" at this point. Each year, you can pick the Final Four before the season starts.

As for Auriemma, He clearly is a great recruiter. UConn men's hoops fans laugh, though, when it's suggested he could or should coach a legit men's team. Maybe a school like a Barry. I'll take their word for it.

Advertisement
Back