Duke vs Thomas

Hurricanefan13

Recruit
Me and my friend got in a big argument that who's better I said duke is and he said deanthony Thomas is who do you think is ?

Advertisement
Based on production up to this point: Thomas. Reevaluate after season.

Based on skills: Close but I'd say Duke.

Last edited:
Thomas has such a slight frame, he can't get tough yards like Duke. But boy is he explosive, more straight away speed.

I still give Duke the edge. He's the more complete player.

Last edited:
Just imagine Duke in that system, it would be nuts to have him in that much space at all times .

I'm not as big of a homer as most fans but I can honestly say there's no player in cfb that I'd take over Duke. He's that special.

Advertisement
A Clowney type DE can be built, its like 5 DEs in this class that can end up doing what he does.

Stop it *Stephen A. Smith voice* ... NFL scouts say he's the best defensive prospect in 10-15 years. He takes over games.

Last edited:
A Clowney type DE can be built, its like 5 DEs in this class that can end up doing what he does.

Stop it. NFL scouts say he's the best defensive prospect in 10-15 years. He takes over games.

NFL scouts have said a lot of **** before.... Clowney aint the "1st best defensive prospect in 10-15 years."

DEs are viewed like QBs.... over hyped and over valued. Not to take anything away from him b/c I want the Falcons to do something where they could get him.

I'm jus sayin Duke's collegiate career is just beginning and i think he can leave as big a mark on the collegiate level as Clowney.

Advertisement
Duke is the better rb, no orange and green goggles. Thomas doesn't have the moves, power and is slightly behind in vision. Speed on the other hand is thomas all day and yesterday

Advertisement

Stop it *Stephen A. Smith voice* ... NFL scouts say he's the best defensive prospect in 10-15 years. He takes over games.

Weren't they saying the same thing about Da'quan Bowers a couple years back? I mean they weren't on his jock quite as much but.... I think he has like 4.5 sacks in 2 yrs.

Weren't they saying the same thing about Da'quan Bowers a couple years back? I mean they weren't on his jock quite as much but.... I think he has like 4.5 sacks in 2 yrs.

Bowers wasn't the same after his knee surgery, that's why he dropped in the draft and hasn't been anything special. I think he tore his achilles too.

Bowers wasn't the same after his knee surgery, that's why he dropped in the draft and hasn't been anything special. I think he tore his achilles too.

Wasn't aware he got hurt.

Advertisement
It seems like every RB featured in ducks O has unreal numbers. Thomas is in the right place for his skill set. Teams knew Duke was coming and he still does his thing. Duke's skills move into NFL in seemless transition. His physical skills or off chart but his intangibles are even better. Two more years and another U tough and Duke leaves as 210lbs Junior with NC ring and every rushing record from Running Back U. Cannot wait to see that smile on pregame flashing THE U.

First off, Mamba vs Duke is apples to oranges.

I've been watching Mamba over the last two days looking for a model for my son. Mamba fits my son's skill set. He is more slot receiver than running back. Mamba is NOT a running back.

He will take a draw every now and again, and took a lot of jet sweeps. Very seldom was he lined up as a running back. He'd line up as a receiver most of the time, and motion into the back field.

Now with that out of the way, let's compare on a running back level.

It's Duke, and it ain't close. While Mamba is probably the fastest player on the field in college football, he is not elusive, vision is subpar, strength less than subpar, pass protection almost non existent. He does have decent hands, runs decent routes, and a juggernaut in the return game.

Duke is a bigger and stronger player. Mamba was called cute by my wife because of his skinny, little legs moving so fast. Duke is not as fast, and that's really about it. Duke does have great speed, but it's more burst than top speed. Elusiveness, vision, and blocking are elite, strength is above par. Duke doesn't run many routes but does do a great job running ones asked, and his hands very good as well. And he is absolutely not a slouch as a returner.

Duke could carry the ball 20+ times in a pro style offense, whereas Mamba would struggle tremendously in my opinion. Mamba has been 160 or so pounds since high school I believe, and seems like he has no desire to get bigger.

Now purely as receivers, I'd give Mamba the edge. Not to say Duke couldn't be as good, but more Mamba is better suited at that position, and I foresee him playing that position in the NFL.

As an overall athlete we could debate that for ages. Mamba did score every nine times he touched the ball last year, but credit that to the offense they run. Impressive nonetheless. Duke did break Clinton Portis's freshman rushing record to his credit.

At the moment, based off of body of work, I'd say Mamba. Just numbers in general. When they are both finished, Duke will reign supreme, no ifs ands or buts about it. As far as if we had a combine today for both, not looking at stats, Duke would murder Mamba.

-Fin

Last edited:
Luginbill from ESPN actually ranked his top 5 RBs in the nation

5 Carey from Zona
4 Duke
3 Thomas
2 Gurley
1 Yeldon

Said he had Thomas at 3 because he has never been a true feature back. He always had someone paired with him. He wants to see what he can do this year being the primary back

Advertisement
Back