Duke talks UM playcallers [Golden&Coley] & their playbook!

Cane2

Band
Banned
Mr. Johnson, how’s the difference between the playbook here [in Cleveland] and at Miami?

Well “Hee Hee Hee Ha Ha, Smirk, laughter, giggle giggle…” ‘How is the playbook compared to Miami?’ “It’s like night and day! At Miami, the coaches tried to keep it simple, tried to keep [it like in Pop Warner]. But here Man, it’s real Football and you know, at this level, defensive guys kinda get a beat on what you’re [offense] doing, so we have audible and checks, and different things like that just so we can get a… kinda not let the defense get a beat on what we [the offense] are doing.”

Browns Daily 6/9 Part 7 - Duke Johnson

So, we hear it from the horses’ mouth that carried the load at the U saying that and strongly inferring that “at Miami” the play book was not at all imaginative but Pop Warner-esque. This is what we all know here at CiS, but dang, one thing for sure is… and Duke didn’t exactly say so, but the other college teams’ "defensive coaches and guys also get a beat on what you’re [UM offense] doing" and so knew WTF Miami plays would be. But, UM Pop Warner playcalling didn't not really have the audibles nor the checks that would keep the defensive guys [playing against UM] from expecting what Miami was doing and getting a jump on Coach Coley's plays. And once they knew what Miami offense would do, did Coley & Golden make any adjustments? Would that answer why UM was virtually always worse on third downs out of 120 some teams?

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think you are making more of this than you should. In college its catered to 17 & 18 year olds coming out of high school. in the Pros you're getting 22 & 23 year olds. I would bet he is mostly talking about the language, intricacies, and audibles. Not trying to call Golden "Simple"

We never did audible last year. Kaaya would walk up to the line give one look at the defense and then step back and look at Coley basically saying "the play you just called isnt going to ******* work". Then he just relays in another play. 9 times out of 10 it was a screen.

If they are going to consider their offense pro style then you have to have some faith and trust your qb to make the right call to kill a play or audible on his own.

If we aren't going to do that then just switch to a **** spread like everyone else. It's proven to work better in college anyway.

Advertisement
I do have to admit we are far too predictable on offense and defense. When I can call out plays from my couch I know we are in trouble.

Every college system is basic compared to the pros. Ours was doubly simplified due to starting a true freshman QB. We'll know more this year if our O is better pretty quickly. Even so, it'll never be a true pro system, due to the kids playing in it. They are NOT all future professional football players. Some are, but not all.

I think you are making more of this than you should. In college its catered to 17 & 18 year olds coming out of high school. in the Pros you're getting 22 & 23 year olds. I would bet he is mostly talking about the language, intricacies, and audibles. Not trying to call Golden "Simple"

It is a legit concern to me though. Because it's like Gruden's QB camp on ESPN when he is breaking down film with a QB and the QBs basically have the same language as he used in the NFL. A pro style offense is designed to be complex not simple. If you want it simple then run a spread and throw to your first read every time. A simple pro style offense isn't going to fool anyone.

Could have just been Brad only being at Miami 3 months before the season and not fully grasping the playbook or whatever. Seemed like every time we let Brad run a 2 minute offense or a no huddle we score at will.

and you think that with the teams that UM plays in college "you're getting 22 & 23 year olds" to play against us too?

It's tantalizing amazing how the Golden slurpers still defend this Corch no matter what, and at all turns. Jeez freaking Khrist!

Advertisement
Wouldn't you want to keep things simplified when your QB was 4 months removed from having PE classes and a lunch period?

College and pro play calling is night and day, BUT we are too predictable on offense, i know fisch dumbed it down for morris so did coley, and last year we had a true freshman starting, i wont pass too much judgement but if i see the same sh¡t this year then its coley not knowing jack

and you think that with the teams that UM plays in college "you're getting 22 & 23 year olds" to play against us too?

It's tantalizing amazing how the Golden slurpers still defend this Corch no matter what, and at all turns. Jeez freaking Khrist!

I can't speak to bransuperpower's opinion on Golden, but I can tell you that I want Golden gone 2 years ago. I am also not a fan of Coley's play calling, but... BUT... I am willing to bet that almost any player would say that the difference between NFL and college game plans (especially on offense) is a huge jump. So while the offense could definitely have improvements, I don't think this interview really proves anything one way or the other.

Also, remember the flip side where everyone was complaining that D'onofrio made everything too complicated? (And yes... I want him gone more than any other coach on the team)

Advertisement
Wouldn't you want to keep things simplified when your QB was 4 months removed from having PE classes and a lunch period?

I supposed when that same simplified version of play calling that couldn't hardly move when it mattered against one of the worse defenses during the bowl game, it was about Kaaya too? ...ok

College and pro play calling is night and day, BUT we are too predictable on offense, i know fisch dumbed it down for morris so did coley, and last year we had a true freshman starting, i wont pass too much judgement but if i see the same sh¡t this year then its coley not knowing jack

Maybe what's also night and day is these Corches doing UM playcalling vs. real coaches [with experience] playcalling vs. Miami. The grand experience of UM playcallers of Coley and Golden is what? Coley might be a great recruiter, if you want to grant him that, but as one who had never called plays before comin to UM? I think "not knowing" was relevant since there was NOT any knowing before coming to the U insofar as playcalling is concerned. But, hey, I'm sure you believe that the light of KNOWING will suddenly come through in 2015, since UM coaches spent time hanging with the Seattle Seahawks, and talked to some Cowboys coaches. Invaluable playcalling insight must have been revealed to these UM coaches. Hope is Eternal.

idk if that's an excuse. it seemed even simpler sometimes when Morris was here as a Senior

Advertisement
It is really as simple as this. If you have watched Miami over the last several years and can not see that there is a problem with our Offense and Defense then one of two things is wrong. 1) You don't know football 2) You have become blind to the ineptness that is now Miami football.

You do not have to make things complicated to be creative and keep teams guessing. We fail to do either and this is why we struggle in close games and against good coaching. Good players have made Miami look decent at times, but the consistency throughout a game or back to back games has not been there.

I can't speak to bransuperpower's opinion on Golden, but I can tell you that I want Golden gone 2 years ago. I am also not a fan of Coley's play calling, but... BUT... I am willing to bet that almost any player would say that the difference between NFL and college game plans (especially on offense) is a huge jump. So while the offense could definitely have improvements, I don't think this interview really proves anything one way or the other.

Also, remember the flip side where everyone was complaining that D'onofrio made everything too complicated? (And yes... I want him gone more than any other coach on the team)

Here in this thread, the issue is not about D'Onofrio. It's about a Pop Warner offense! ...and playcalling.

There are numerous teams in college that know how to call solid and productive plays that can rival NFL playcalling. There is a reason why many coaches jump straight to the NFL from college. Did Chip Kelly go to the NFL because he had dumb down college playcalling for his college players?

Duke is barely 20, and seems to have no issue whatsoever with an expanded playbook, one that could have at least keep a defense honest to his offense at UM. As a matter of fact, he is said to be "super confident" in his grasp of an offense with glitches. Would he have had problems if Coley had plays that kept UM defenders honest? From the very last bowl game to the FSU game, the other college teams' "defensive guys kinda got a beat on what we’re [UM offense] doing", and we lost those games on the offensive end accordingly.

UM offense was progressively worse because, by these last games, there was extensive film on what UM leanings are and what UM likes to call in specific situations: simple unimaginative stuff, as in Pop Warner runs, screens and other passes. As for this 2015 upcoming year, and considering that Kaaya and UM offense are known entities as they were by year's end, do you think that a sophomoric slum is unreal for both Kaaya and Coley? ...oh, sleeping in Seattle brought revelations! Hope is eternal.

Not to sound like I'm defending these ****** coaches but Duke never once in that interview called the offense Pop Warner. Called it simple but he didn't call it Pop Warner.

Advertisement
Back