Duke Series/Weekend Rotation Changes

scane

Redshirt Freshman

Per Aaron Fitt, McKendry is moving into the Saturday role and Cabezas is taking the Sunday role. I really like this move by Morris. We saw in his long ACC Tournanment relief outing last year that Cabezas can be dominant in an extended starter type outing. Hopefully, getting away from the closer role will help him. He was decent last night.

Pitching now as best I can tell:
Fri Bargfeldt
Sat McKendry
Sun Cabezas
MW Federman

7th Mediavilla
8th Bartow
9th Hammond

Veliz seemingly moves into middle relief with Cook where his pitch count isn't particularly important. I'll be interested to see where McMahon slots in when he debuts in a few weeks. Now if only we could start hitting and playing defense....

Advertisement
Didnt Veliz swing a pretty good bat in HS? Cant do any worse than some of our bats.

My computer has been giving me problems so I haven't put out an article this week, my apologies.

Veliz is a relief role is where he needs to be right now because you can take him out quickly if he doesn't have his command. As a starter you can't just take the guy out after 20 pitches and blow your bullpen for the entire day.

I wanted Cabezas to be the Sunday guy to start the season so I really like this move. Federman as the mid-week guy will be good for the team and with the depth of arms in the bullpen, this should be fine. Mediavilla has been very successful as an air-it-out lefty reliever in spots that work for him so I think that will help him as well.

I've been preaching patience with this team all along, and while they are still a ways off in my opinion, they are following a pretty traditional path upwards at this point and hopefully will be peaking at tournament time once they get the injured players back.

Isaac Quinones has absolutely taken that catcher spot and ran with it. Amditis might have to DH when he gets back.

Per Aaron Fitt, McKendry is moving into the Saturday role and Cabezas is taking the Sunday role. I really like this move by Morris. We saw in his long ACC Tournanment relief outing last year that Cabezas can be dominant in an extended starter type outing. Hopefully, getting away from the closer role will help him. He was decent last night.

Pitching now as best I can tell:
Fri Bargfeldt
Sat McKendry
Sun Cabezas
MW Federman

7th Mediavilla
8th Bartow
9th Hammond

Veliz seemingly moves into middle relief with Cook where his pitch count isn't particularly important. I'll be interested to see where McMahon slots in when he debuts in a few weeks. Now if only we could start hitting and playing defense....

Move makes sense, but Cabezas will have to find a way to conserve and spread his energy over 5 - 6 innings, as he's a pretty emotional, get fired up type. That's not a bad thing, just that it can sap your energy after a while.

Makes sense with Bartow and Hammond to close out games.

Will be interested to see if Veliz becomes the mid-week starter, or if Federman is allowed to keep the job.

Advertisement
Game 1 vs Duke. Tied 2-2 in the bottom of the 6th. Once again Jenkins not taking control in CF. Pop up to shallow center. Zamora tracking, but can't make the play. Would have been an easy out for Jenkins, but he was watching Zamora and not the ball. Zero effort. CF has to take every ball he can get to. That's his job!!!

Advertisement
Now if only we could start hitting and playing defense....

So that hasn't happened.... Hopefully, Cabezas finds whatever has been missing in the starting role. We really need a win tomorrow. On the batting order front I'd move Escala and Zamora into the leadoff and second spots in the order to start getting guys on base at the top of the order. I'd also sit one of Burns, Gonzalez, and Jenkins to give Cloonan another go. I'm starting to think Romy might be following the Carey/Kennedy plan and returning for his senior year after a dismal junior season.

My computer has been giving me problems so I haven't put out an article this week, my apologies.

Veliz is a relief role is where he needs to be right now because you can take him out quickly if he doesn't have his command. As a starter you can't just take the guy out after 20 pitches and blow your bullpen for the entire day.

I wanted Cabezas to be the Sunday guy to start the season so I really like this move. Federman as the mid-week guy will be good for the team and with the depth of arms in the bullpen, this should be fine. Mediavilla has been very successful as an air-it-out lefty reliever in spots that work for him so I think that will help him as well.

I've been preaching patience with this team all along, and while they are still a ways off in my opinion, they are following a pretty traditional path upwards at this point and hopefully will be peaking at tournament time once they get the injured players back.

Isaac Quinones has absolutely taken that catcher spot and ran with it. Amditis might have to DH when he gets back.
When is Amditis expected back?

Advertisement
Doubling back to this thread. I was told tonight that Veliz has an arm injury. This seems like the likely reason for the change. So for now we have Bartow, Hammond, Cook, Mediavilla, and possibly Cloonan as our only real bullpen options.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back