Duke Johnson

Cincycane

Redshirt Freshman
The coaches need to go ahead and replace Duke on kickoff return and let Artie Burns get some burn on that....Go Canes!!!!

Advertisement
Ive said it before and I will say it again. I don't like having key players on special teams. Too much chance for injury. However, I am for having him in there on occasion when we need a big return or something.

D. Crawford and Lewis should get the reps at punt return... Dallas is shifty enough for punt return.

Duke, Elder, Burns, and Coley are the guys i want to see share reps on Kick off.

The Dorsett experiment on special teams needs to be over at this point.

The coaches need to go ahead and replace Duke on kickoff return and let Artie Burns get some burn on that....Go Canes!!!!

Against the swamp scum we need Duke everywhere. I agree that Artie should be back there--both together. Let's see who they kick too.

Advertisement
OH NOES!! Sammy Watkins is returning punts and kickoffs for Clemson!!! He will get hurt!!!

Duke is possibly the most electric returner in the country. When you have someone as talented as he is you take the risk.

No one on the team provides even close to the same threat back there. Not Coley, not Artie, not Dorsett, and for **** sure not Crawford.

OH NOES!! Sammy Watkins is returning punts and kickoffs for Clemson!!! He will get hurt!!!

Duke is possibly the most electric returner in the country. When you have someone as talented as he is you take the risk.

No one on the team provides even close to the same threat back there. Not Coley, not Artie, not Dorsett, and for **** sure not Crawford.

Duke is all we have so if he gets hurt season over not worth the risk........... you understand now?

Duke is all we have so if he gets hurt season over not worth the risk........... you understand now?

So why don't we limit his carries at rb and give clements the majority?

I'm not a huge fan of duke returning, but in certain situations I wish he would be back there.

Agreed on Artie and Corn Elder getting reps back there.

If Sammy Watkins gets hurt, doesn't Clemson get a lot worse as well?

Advertisement
Burns and Coley returning kick offs please Al. Dorsett has straight line speed only, no shiftiness in his game.

The only reason I'm against Coley on the returns is bc he is on offense and we are getting thin at WR.

Why i like the two db's in Artie and Corn back there to receive.

And injuries are just part of the game, can't prevent it- one freak play is all it takes. Very unfortunate but that's how it is. That said, having Duke back there 24/7 may wear him down some as the season progresses and we need him full speed ahead to close strong and give us a shot at the Orange bowl on December 7th

Advertisement
You guys really need to stop. You dont take away the best return man in football bc youre afraid he will get hurt.

You guys really need to stop. You dont take away the best return man in football bc youre afraid he will get hurt.

Is burns that much of a drop off in returning ability talent to not have him do it?? Or is duke the only stud on the team with a pulse?

I would like to see -

KR: Duke, Burns,
PR: Coley, Crawford, Lewis (if 100%), maybe corn

Advertisement

Is burns that much of a drop off in returning ability talent to not have him do it?? Or is duke the only stud on the team with a pulse?

Yes...yes Burns is a huge drop-off. Dont you think if Burns was a great kick returner he would be back there already?? If he was so electric he wouldve been returning kicks in the UA All-Star game too. Just bc kids look good in high school returning kicks doesnt mean theyre going to be great in college. We are always touting the new guy that no one has ever seen as the next great one.

If there was anyone close to Duke's ability available to return KOs they would replace him...but there isnt. There is only a handful of players in the country on his level. Returners like him dont grow on trees.

Last edited:
I think Duke should sit. I would hate to see him get hurt running the ball. I think he's safe holding the clipboard. Maybe they could have him wear a yellow jersey on the sideline.
sanchez-new-role-12-2-12.gif

And if Duke returns a kick for a TD against Florida? Is that very real possibility worth the potential risk? Personally i don't see returning kicks as being any more risky than running from scrimmage. I could be wrong about that, but has Miami lost a lot of kick returners to injury over the years? I don't recall any at the moment, though i imagine there have been some. In the end there's always a chance of injury whenever a rb touches the ball and also even when he doesn't, as evidenced by the Herb Waters td run. I understand the concern, but having a playmaker like that on special teams can be the difference between winning and losing as we saw with Devin Hester on multiple occasions. I agree though with what another poster said: use him on special teams mostly in big games or when the team is struggling for whatever reason against a lesser opponent and could use a jolt.

Advertisement
Back