Duke Johnson with a Message to Mark Antony Richards

gcane44

Junior
Former Hurricane Duke Johnson signed a three-year contract extension with the Cleveland Browns worth $15.6 million earlier this month.

The deal included a $5 million signing bonus and $7.74 million guaranteed according to reports.

His annual average salary of $5.2 million makes him the eighth-highest paid running back in the NFL according to spotrac.

Despite the extension and a successful career as a running back including being the University of Miami’s all-time leading rusher, Johnson has surprising advice for young running backs:
“If you can play any other position other than running back, play it.”

Why?

“It’s better," Johnson said. "It’s a better career. Because if I could do it again, I would stay at DB. I’d stay at corner.”
He would have played cornerback because, “I enjoyed corner more than I do running back and you have a longer career possibly.”

Source: 247Sports

For reference, here are links to lists of the highest paid NFL Safeties and Cornerbacks:

Safeties
Cornerbacks

Advertisement
Duke is right. MAR has the opportunity to be elite in the secondary and should take advantage of that. An elite DB dwarfs elite RB’s and arguably WR’s career wise.

ANd the nfl is more of a passing league now so wanting to be a RB is kinda derp.

Former Hurricane Duke Johnson signed a three-year contract extension with the Cleveland Browns worth $15.6 million earlier this month.

The deal included a $5 million signing bonus and $7.74 million guaranteed according to reports.

His annual average salary of $5.2 million makes him the eighth-highest paid running back in the NFL according to spotrac.

Despite the extension and a successful career as a running back including being the University of Miami’s all-time leading rusher, Johnson has surprising advice for young running backs:
“If you can play any other position other than running back, play it.”

Why?

“It’s better," Johnson said. "It’s a better career. Because if I could do it again, I would stay at DB. I’d stay at corner.”
He would have played cornerback because, “I enjoyed corner more than I do running back and you have a longer career possibly.”

Source: 247Sports

For reference, here are links to lists of the highest paid NFL Safeties and Cornerbacks:

Safeties
Cornerbacks

I never knew Duke was a CB. All I remember is his incredible RB highlights.

Advertisement
Breaks my heart this dude had to play under you know who.

BUT, interesting conversation I had recently and semi-related --

I'm not so sure Thomas Brown or Mark Richt would've prioritized or gone after Duke at RB. Seems like they don't care for Backs of his stature and style. They probably would've recruited him as an athlete with an eye toward playing DB.

Duke is no question one of my favorite Canes ever. He could've been one **** of a corner. Special football player with a unique skill set.

Richards' range on the field is no question best suited at FS. Could he be an all-American weapon on offense? Yes. But, Duke is right and Richards should strongly consider that.

I'm not so sure Thomas Brown or Mark Richt would've prioritized or gone after Duke at RB. Seems like they don't care for Backs of his stature and style. They probably would've recruited him as an athlete with an eye toward playing DB.
Duke was one of the most decorated players ever in south Florida. They most defintiely would have went after duke

It's shocking how RB's are paid in the league these days. I remember reading an article 3-4 years ago that said RB's were the lowest paid position on the field only in front of TEs.

Advertisement
Let’s just sign this kid and let his play figure out his position that’s the main battle at hand

And I swear I literally told my friend this the other day if duke would’ve played corner he’s a top five corner coming out his year easily

Mark Richards seems to be pretty interested in UF and Auburn based largely on how they're selling him on being an offensive weapon in their systems (Mullen with the "Percy Harvin role" and Auburn with their RB-friendly system). But, he needs to look at what guys in the "Percy Harvin role" and as RB's under Malzahn at Auburn end up doing at the next level.

Aside from Harvin himself (who didn't have a great NFL career), I'm not sure there has been anyone that has operated in that role under Meyer or Mullen that has a NFL-career worth wanting to emulate.

Looking at Auburn's RBs under Malzahn, they put up stats and are great college players, but then what?

Ben Tate was a 1,000 yard rusher under Malzahn and has proceeded to become a career backup RB in the NFL.

Tre Mason was big time at Auburn running for over 1,800 yards in 2013 under Malzahn. He has already washed out of the NFL and is playing in the CFL.

Cameron Artis-Payne rushed for over 1,600 yards in 2014 under Malzahn and has now been a career backup RB. And Carolina has already brought in their RB for the present and future to place over him (McCaffrey)

Kerryon Johnson was drafted in the 2nd round of the 2018 NFL draft after putting up less impressive stats than the above-referenced backs at Aurburn. I wouldn't be betting on his success...

So he didn't actually talk with MAR about this? We need to tweet this to MAR and have Duke in his ear.

They would have been all over Duke. He was one of the best RBs in Dade history. People forget how great he was because our team sucked and because he wasn’t used as much as a traditional RB in Cleveland.

Advertisement
They would have been all over Duke. He was one of the best RBs in Dade history. People forget how great he was because our team sucked and because he wasn’t used as much as a traditional RB in Cleveland.
Duke still to this day has one of the best HS tape I've ever seen. Maybe only Reggie Bush compares.

I just think they would've recruited him as an athlete as opposed to a RB. They seem to like those larger backs.

Advertisement
I remember it being discussed during Duke's recruitment that he would have been a bad *** corner. There was even a thread about someone stating that they would prefer him there. The kid is elite and has heart...would've succeeded no matter where you put him.

Advertisement
Back