Duke clears concussion protocol, intends to play Sunday

FreeVilma

Junior
The Browns entered the week with one healthy running back on their active roster, but rookie Duke Johnson has cleared concussion protocol and will practice this week with the intent of playing Sunday vs. the Jets.

“He’s fully cleared,” Browns coach Mike Pettine said of Johnson. “When you come out of the concussion protocol you’re either cleared or you’re not.

“We’re not in pads. He’s not going to get hit today but he needs the work, the actual reps of playing.”

A hamstring injury kept Johnson out for three weeks of training camp, and one quarter into his preseason debut Aug. 29 Johnson suffered a concussion. Wednesday marked his first practice since then.

A third-round pick, Johnson started his lone preseason game. That’s either a sign the Browns have very high hopes for him, or that the team was down on second-year runners Isaiah Crowell and Terrance West, neither of whom had a strong camp. West was traded to the Titans last Sunday, leaving Crowell as the only healthy back on the roster before Johnson was cleared.

Pettine said the plan is for Crowell to start Sunday and for Johnson to be watched closely in practices in hopes he can contribute.

“If (Johnson) had taken every rep we’d be a lot more confident about putting him out there for extended snaps,” Pettine said. “If he puts a solid couple days together here, there’s no reason to think he won’t play a significant role in the game.”

Browns rookie RB Johnson cleared, returns to practice | ProFootballTalk

Advertisement
Advertisement
Why would you call a former players mom a douche that's very disrespectful. Wouldn't you look out for the best interest of your kid after you spent 15 years or so of your life helping him reach his or her dream?

Advertisement
Why would you call a former players mom a douche that's very disrespectful. Wouldn't you look out for the best interest of your kid after you spent 15 years or so of your life helping him reach his or her dream?

Agreed. Besides what did she ever say? That she wanted him to go to Bama because that would've given his son better coaching? Can't fault her for that.

Agreed. Besides what did she ever say? That she wanted him to go to Bama because that would've given his son better coaching? Can't fault her for that.

She's a saint first and foremost.

Second, something she said in private was leaked out by someone in their social media circle, that seemed true, but obviously caused a mini cloud. She never came out publicly and bashed anybody UM that I can remember. She said that a lot of the players would transfer if there were no penalty to them for doing so.

Advertisement

Second, something she said in private was leaked out by someone in their social media circle, that seemed true, but obviously caused a mini cloud. She never came out publicly and bashed anybody UM that I can remember. She said that a lot of the players would transfer if there were no penalty to them for doing so.

Moreover, that transfer statement is invalid at face value since there is always the penalty of sitting out a year anyway. I'd imagine that any given bench player who could suit up for another team knowing that team has a player or two in their position they could beat out, may indeed opt to leave to play more...but you can't do it. ****, if players had wings, they wouldn't ride the school bus to the game. Her statement was moot, tongue in cheek, nothing for anyone to get a tizzy over.

Moreover, that transfer statement is invalid at face value since there is always the penalty of sitting out a year anyway. I'd imagine that any given bench player who could suit up for another team knowing that team has a player or two in their position they could beat out, may indeed opt to leave to play more...but you can't do it. ****, if players had wings, they wouldn't ride the school bus to the game. Her statement was moot, tongue in cheek, nothing for anyone to get a tizzy over.

Exactly. Ended up being an enemy of The U over it.

Advertisement
dude is incredibly under appreciated around here.. i still just don't get it.

Best RB i ever watched at Miami.

let me guess your 22...

he was a good back here..

but go watch Willis in the swamp put up 200 on the 6th team in the country...

Edge with 300 + on the 3rd ranked team, 39 carries never tapped out

Chuck Forman
Clinton Portis
Ottis Anderson

All great backs,,,,

Duke put up numbers for sure but never took a meaningful game over when he had the chance he fumbled or got hurt

dude is incredibly under appreciated around here.. i still just don't get it.

Best RB i ever watched at Miami.

let me guess your 22...

he was a good back here..

but go watch Willis in the swamp put up 200 on the 6th team in the country...

Edge with 300 + on the 3rd ranked team, 39 carries never tapped out

Chuck Forman
Clinton Portis
Ottis Anderson

All great backs,,,,

Duke put up numbers for sure but never took a meaningful game over when he had the chance he fumbled or got hurt

which meaningful games did he play in as a starter. FSU is the only one that seamed meaningful and he played pretty well considering who was calling the plays.

That Cleveland RB situation is pathetic, they only have 2 backs on the 53-man roster. They're basically begging Duke to be their feature back.

Advertisement
Back