DT Norton sees new expectations for defense

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
FullSizeRender.jpg

Canes defensive tackle Kendrick Norton returns as one of the best linemen in the ACC and potentially a one of the top defensive players in the country.

Norton’s big sophomore season laid the foundation for this spring, but he believes that his unit’s success last season was only the beginning of things to come.

“You’re always looking to raise the bar. If everybody isn’t getting better, we’re getting worse as a defense,” Norton said.

“We talk as a unit about being the best defensive line – we can’t do it without the guys on the outside and they can’t do it without us. We’re trying to be the best in the conference and the country. “

Last year at this time, the defense was still adjusting to Manny Diaz’s new scheme. Norton explained that the comfort level is much higher this year.

“Everybody knows what they’re doing now so we can focus on getting better and not just trying to get a hold of things,” he said.

Norton says that the area he is working on improving most this spring is his pass rushing.

“I want to be more effective as a pass rusher. Coach Kool has all the drills for us to become better, so I know I will be,” Norton explained.

“I think they’re (freshmen) adjusting well because they have guys in front of them who can show them how to do it. Last year, we didn’t really have that,” he said. “Jonathan Garvin is doing very well. He’s coming on and learning, but it’s only the first day.”

Last edited:
Advertisement
Some people debate which site/reporter is most productive and actually pay for other sites? Come on, man.

/Doesn't even take into account the message board.

This Man is on his way. The best DT we had in years! If he puts it all together and throw in a couple Sacks and QB hurries. Coach Kool might have another one. IMG_4549.jpgIMG_4547.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4548.jpg
    IMG_4548.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
This Man is on his way. The best DT we had in years! If he puts it all together and throw in a couple Sacks and QB hurries. Coach Kool might have another one. View attachment 43692View attachment 43694

He's a beast bro.. I've been saying this since he stepped on campus. I remember when I said he's the best DT we've had since Wilfork a while back and mostly everyone on here bashed me on that lol. He's first step is what makes him stick out the most.. but overall he has the quickness, explosiveness and great instincts to be great at his position. Him and RJ should be one of the best duos in the country. This d line is gonna be scary good for the next few years.

This Man is on his way. The best DT we had in years! If he puts it all together and throw in a couple Sacks and QB hurries. Coach Kool might have another one. View attachment 43692View attachment 43694

He's a beast bro.. I've been saying this since he stepped on campus. I remember when I said he's the best DT we've had since Wilfork a while back and mostly everyone on here bashed me on that lol. He's first step is what makes him stick out the most.. but overall he has the quickness, explosiveness and great instincts to be great at his position. Him and RJ should be one of the best duos in the country. This d line is gonna be scary good for the next few years.

Find that thread and bump it please.

Edit: I found and bumped one of the threads for you. Nice call by you and [MENTION=7468]Gator Hatar[/MENTION]

Last edited:
Advertisement
Love that him and RJ Mcintosh are roommates and good friends, creates a bond where they can excel and communicate without speaking to each other.

He blocked a FG last year, too - I think...

At any rate, this is a top-10 defense across the board this year - overall, pass, run, TFL and points given up....

Miami should almost always have a top-10 defense. We're returning to where we should always be.....

Not too difficult when you play an attack-style defense....

Hopefully we'll see the offense attack more this year....

Advertisement
I remember when I said he's the best DT we've had since Wilfork a while back and mostly everyone on here bashed me on that lol.

LOL...yeah, I just got 2 notifications from people beatin' their chests for you. Kid sucked as a freshman, balled out last year though.

Find that thread and bump it please.

Edit: I found and bumped one of the threads for you. Nice call by you and [MENTION=7468]Gator Hatar[/MENTION]

Yessir !! Let's go canes

Love that him and RJ Mcintosh are roommates and good friends, creates a bond where they can excel and communicate without speaking to each other.

Yep me and my old college room mates were exactly the same way. Only we just used a hangar on the doorknob to communicate without speaking to each other.

Advertisement
They've got Norton listed at 312 lbs now - looks like he's put on another 7 lbs, like McIntosh...

Is Norton the next great DT to come out of Miami? I can't wait to see what he does this season.

Advertisement
I totally forgot so someone refresh my memory.....how was his recruitment and who was in the mix. I only remember people wanted him at OL

He blocked a FG last year, too - I think...

At any rate, this is a top-10 defense across the board this year - overall, pass, run, TFL and points given up....

Miami should almost always have a top-10 defense. We're returning to where we should always be.....

Not too difficult when you play an attack-style defense....

Hopefully we'll see the offense attack more this year....

We should always have a top ten d u right about that ****

Like you said his Fr. year he showed flashes. Last season he was good player. If he can tap into that domination factor. He gone First 2 Rounds.

Advertisement
Back