DT Earl Moore

USNAVYCANE

All American
Maude
Tampa Hillsborough High School DT and Cane commitment Earl Moore originally had an official visit to Miami scheduled for Dec. 10.

He never took it, though, and is now set to be on campus Jan. 21.

"That's going to be my only visit," Moore said.

A solid commitment, Moore knows he has a great chance to play early at a defensive tackle spot with little returning experience or depth.

"Coaches have talked to me about it, telling me it's a good chance that I play right away," Moore said. "My main focus right now is to get at a good weight, get faster and stronger."

Moore currently weighs 290 pounds and says coaches want him to play at around 300 pounds.

"They want me all muscle," Moore said. "I'm working out four days a week - it's weights, running."

How hard will it be for him to get on the field right away?

"It'll definitely be an adjustment, but I feel if I just focus and get prepared very well that I'll be pretty good," Moore said.

Moore says he's talking to coach Jethro Franklin regularly.

"He's telling me how happy they are I'm coming to the school, that the main thing is keeping my grades right," Moore said.

He adds of Franklin that "Just from seeing how his D-line plays, he's a good coach. He's a real high energy coach who likes to get after it. He reminds me of the coach this year I had in high school ... I feel comfortable around him."

Moore has high hopes for this year's team. And he sees the 2012 class playing a large role.

"I think we have a good class coming in, this class," he said. "We have a lot of good players with Duke (Johnson), those guys. We'll definitely be effective this year. I think we have a lot of freshmen that can play, can come in and do something."

* Moore says he should be fine academically but that he hasn't gotten his ACT score back yet.

* Moore finished the year with six sacks for his 9-3 team that lost in the second round of the playoffs

Advertisement
DT is prolly the hardest position to project for the next level. A big powerful high school kid can be seen as dominant at that level without exerting himself too much. Now place him in Div.1 with just as equal amount of talented OL and suddenly just being big doesn't get the job done anymore.

Hasn't gotten his ACT score back yet.

This ^^^^^^ worries me.

How many years have we heard this only to watch kids go to lesser schools like WVU, Marshall, Ol ****, Juco, or Prep?

I'm sure it's just the pessimist side of me talking but until I watch these kids run out of the smoke in September or August I don't believe anything anyone tells me about how good their grades are or that they "are all set" blah blah blah.

Hope all of our kids can get their grades in order and be on the squad next season.

thumbnail.aspx

Advertisement

This ^^^^^^ worries me.

How many years have we heard this only to watch kids go to lesser schools like WVU, Marshall, Ol ****, Juco, or Prep?

I'm sure it's just the pessimist side of me talking but until I watch these kids run out of the smoke in September or August I don't believe anything anyone tells me about how good their grades are or that they "are all set" blah blah blah.

Hope all of our kids can get their grades in order and be on the squad next season.

He just recently took the tests... what do you expect? He's not a EE so no rush!

Why does the 3-4 get talked about so much when Golden and D'Onfrio have always stated that we will be a base 4-3 but will run multiple fronts? Did I miss something where they said they were going to the 3-4 as our base D?

Advertisement

This ^^^^^^ worries me.

I wouldnt worry about it. I'm friends with the parents of the kid who took the ACT for Earl Moore. He's a sharp kid; looks like a young keenen thompson. His dad's cool. I served in the Navy with him.

This ^^^^^^ worries me.

He just recently took the tests... what do you expect? He's not a EE so no rush!

jmb,

I should have been more specific. I believe my pessimistic view of things has to do with the fact that a lot of these recruits wait until December of their Senior season to take the ACT or SAT tests.

I wish more and more kids would learn and start taking these tests in their Junior years of HS. This way they can gauge where they are at and how much harder they have to study in order to acquire the score that they need.

thumbnail.aspx

Advertisement
Completely agree Vinn. Forston was great in high school because he was also that much bigger than everyone else so he didn't have to put forth max effort every play. At the next level you have to bring it every play, he unfortunately didn't.

DT is prolly the hardest position to project for the next level. A big powerful high school kid can be seen as dominant at that level without exerting himself too much. Now place him in Div.1 with just as equal amount of talented OL and suddenly just being big doesn't get the job done anymore.

This kid better be ready to come in and compete, there could be some snaps to be had by a true freshman at DT.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back