DT/DE Jeremiah Clarke Recaps His UOV To Miami

Same school from "remember the titans"

I moved near there a couple years ago and I drive by that school every couple of weeks and it didn't even dawn on me until a few months ago when I saw Remember the Titans again on tv.

If we are still in his top few come the fall I'll have to go check out a game or two.

Advertisement
I checked both the Miami and UVA lists of academic majors (yes, I have some free time right now) and neither offer an undergraduate degree in Robotics.
Seems like a pretty new field so all the major tech schools are right there at the top of the list. Stanford, MIT etc.
I'm sure Miami and UVA allow you to take classes in Robotics as an undergrad, but the degree would be Mechanical Engineering, with no double major currently possible.

When I talk to them they only talk about UVA in passing. When talking about academics I always try to sell them on UM (I was a Civil Engineering major at UM, but graduated from U Maryland). Their visit just confirmed what we talked about, that UM have a solid academic reputation. Relationship with coaches is also very important to them. Really like Fedora and the coach at Penn State. Didn't like Edsall or Bud Foster. They had lots of questions about Golden and Franklin before the visit, like if Golden will be at UM for the long haul. After meeting Golden they really like him, no none sense, pretty straight forward with them. Didn't have the best impression of Franklin, said he was inarticulate (maybe why he may not be the best recruiter as I keep on reading from other threads).

When I talk to them they only talk about UVA in passing. When talking about academics I always try to sell them on UM (I was a Civil Engineering major at UM, but graduated from U Maryland). Their visit just confirmed what we talked about, that UM have a solid academic reputation. Relationship with coaches is also very important to them. Really like Fedora and the coach at Penn State. Didn't like Edsall or Bud Foster. They had lots of questions about Golden and Franklin before the visit, like if Golden will be at UM for the long haul. After meeting Golden they really like him, no none sense, pretty straight forward with them. Didn't have the best impression of Franklin, said he was inarticulate (maybe why he may not be the best recruiter as I keep on reading from other threads).

****, Jethroooooooooooooo you better step up

Advertisement
Committed to UNC over the weekend so there another one off the board. I am not to concerned about this lose though as I think there are a lot of players higher on UM's board still out there.

Go Canes

I attended both schools. UM football is my one true love, so I am all in wanting this kid to come here, but anyone who says UVA doesn't have elite cache is off base. The alumni network is fantastic, well connected, hold elite positions, and passionate about helping their own. The undergrad business school is usually #1 or #2 with Wharton, and the engineering school is top notch. I don't know about their robotics program, however.

I have said it before, Miami is starting to develop a strong alumni network nationally that translates into the professional world. The school has improved leaps and bounds in terms of the quality of student who attends since I started school in 2001 (and the hotness of the girls has gone down proportionally), but those top notch students need to be out in the business world in force for a few decades. UVA, conversely, has generations of well placed alumni.

As I said, I am 'cane through and through, but we still have some work to do on the academic front.

Harsh, but probably the truth. I do not really think the US News rankings are a good barometer for academic performance, as it often penalizes state schools that often have bigger class sizes vs. private schools due to the student to teacher / professor ratio. Job placement is a key indicator, as is publicity with regards to breakthroughs. You noted the alumni base helping their own, and I've seen a lot of UVa kids get jobs in Wall Street and top private equity or hedge fund jobs thereafter. And I'd probably take Michigan over most of the top 10-20 schools in the list. Or what breakthroughs the University has participated in, e.g. university of Illinois with firefox / internet explorer / netscape and youtube. Probably will take UT-Austin over Wash U in St. Louis, etc etc.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back