DT/DE Jeremiah Clarke Recaps His UOV To Miami

D

deleted3746

If you get salt in your ****** over slang terms for colleges, don't click on the info below.

-Was in Miami Monday and Tuesday this week
-His main questions centered around academics
-History of Miami football impressed him but the academics blew his mind
-Clarke would be a double major in robotics and mechanical engineering
-Staff told him it would be a lot of work and it'd be tough
-18 past football players have majored in engineering
-They can make it work for him as long as Clarke holds up his end
-Spoke with Jethro for 2 hours
-Says Jethro always has jokes but keeps it real
-Says Jethro told him a 3 or 5 technique has the chance to come in and get early burn
-Clarke also met Dorito, Golden, and Scott
-Clarke and his dad spent an hour with Golden before he left
-Says Miami is beautiful, always has hot weather, it's a quick plane ride from D.C.
-Clarke has a top 6 that includes Miami, UNC, Ped St., Tennessee, UVAg, and Wake
-Has already visited all his top 6 schools except for Tennessee
-UVAg is the presumed leader according to 247 insiders

*3 technique = lines up on the outside shoulder of the guard, Clarke could be a 4-3 DT

*5 technique = lines up on the outside shoulder of the tackle, Clarke could be a 3-4 DE

http://miami.247sports.com/Article/Miami-Laid-Out-Plan-for-DL-Jeremiah-Clarke-131698

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1yzBmH4xYw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Advertisement
I spoke with his dad. The visit went great. They were very impress with Golden. Golden told him because of his size, speed, versatility that he can probably play anywhere along the d line and why UM is attrated to him. The kid is legit 6'5" 280 lbs right now also play basketball for his school. Met both Artie Burns and Ray Lewis III. Very impress with the Engineering Department. The only down side to dad right now is the distance from home. His top 4 in no particular orders are UM, Virginia, Nort Carolina and Penn State. Will update if/when I hear anything else.

Advertisement
I am dying to find out what's in the spoiler but I get salt in my ****** over slang terms for colleges. Can someone please provide me with a breakdown? Thanks...

Advertisement
I am dying to find out what's in the spoiler but I get salt in my ****** over slang terms for colleges. Can someone please provide me with a breakdown? Thanks...

Just finished washing mine out. In short, we got a good shot at this monster, but my take is because he is so into academics and his folks want him close, he may be at Virginia. I hope the young man realizes that the drop academically from UVA to Miami is miniscule compared to the boost in his football opportunities by coming here.

Just finished washing mine out. In short, we got a good shot at this monster, but my take is because he is so into academics and his folks want him close, he may be at Virginia. I hope the young man realizes that the drop academically from UVA to Miami is miniscule compared to the boost in his football opportunities by coming here.

Not so easy to make that case these days. We have had 32 players drafted since 2006 and they have had 18. And it's only 5-4 us on first rounders.

Not so easy to make that case these days. We have had 32 players drafted since 2006 and they have had 18. And it's only 5-4 us on first rounders.

Not to mention that since 2007, we've only beaten UVA 2 times. Ponder that, it's one of the worst (Miami) thoughts on the planet.

It's something that needs to change NOW.

"[M]iniscule" understates the difference in the academic rating of UVA (top 25) and UM (top 50). Of course, he can get a fantastic education at either school, but I would not gloss over the relative academic reputation of the two schools, assuming academics really matter to him. often when we hear that academics are a factor, the kid ends up at a school that is known far more for football than academics. but this kid may be the exception.

Advertisement

"[M]iniscule" understates the difference in the academic rating of UVA (top 25) and UM (top 50). Of course, he can get a fantastic education at either school, but I would not gloss over the relative academic reputation of the two schools, assuming academics really matter to him. often when we hear that academics are a factor, the kid ends up at a school that is known far more for football than academics. but this kid may be the exception.

This is correct. While UM has certainly improved in the rankings and is now a legit top 50 school, it does not have the same "cache" or long term academic reputation of UVa. UVa is a name that opens doors in a lot of places.

The thing that is working on UM side as far as the academics according to dad are the small class sizes and that UM offers Robotics Engineering combining with some other type of engineering (I don't recall) which UVA doesn't have and Jeremiah is really interested in. They also talked about how UM would offer him the opportunity to graduate early and pursue a Masters degree. Academically, I think UM is fine with them. The distance maybe what push him to stay closer to home.

Advertisement

This is correct. While UM has certainly improved in the rankings and is now a legit top 50 school, it does not have the same "cache" or long term academic reputation of UVa. UVa is a name that opens doors in a lot of places.

Two Solid Posts

Don't sacrifice your kid's education for concerns over how far away he is from home.

For every one porst.

Gotta fix that ratio D-Money. Need some porster playground detention for people who don't bother trying to (1) read previous posts (2) construct sentences (3) speak English (4) tone down inflammatory **** about recruits if it's 100% baseless (5) CaneSuger

Last edited:

Agree, but then again, acadmic reputation is overrated. There are very few schools with brands that open doors nationally (doesn't mean you are automatically in). The rest are because of personal and alum connections. UVA isn't quite one of the elites in this category. On the other hand, if the kid's interest is in football, Miami has a much better brand than UVA even with the recent lack of success.

Without doing any research, I would think we would fit his double major better than UVA. UVA is an excellent school and he would get a great edcuation at either schools.

I attended both schools. UM football is my one true love, so I am all in wanting this kid to come here, but anyone who says UVA doesn't have elite cache is off base. The alumni network is fantastic, well connected, hold elite positions, and passionate about helping their own. The undergrad business school is usually #1 or #2 with Wharton, and the engineering school is top notch. I don't know about their robotics program, however.

I have said it before, Miami is starting to develop a strong alumni network nationally that translates into the professional world. The school has improved leaps and bounds in terms of the quality of student who attends since I started school in 2001 (and the hotness of the girls has gone down proportionally), but those top notch students need to be out in the business world in force for a few decades. UVA, conversely, has generations of well placed alumni.

As I said, I am 'cane through and through, but we still have some work to do on the academic front.

Advertisement
Back