Drives starting at the 2 yard line

SCarolina Ibis

Medical Redshirt
What happened on these 2 drives was so ridiculous that it deserves its own thread.

Coming off the Ivey interception, down 14-3 to our biggest rival, Gattis sends out Jacurri to start a drive from his own 2 yard line. Even though, at this point, TVD isn't thought to be too injured to play.

Why in the fck would you pull your starter in such a pressure situation?

First play of the drive, Gattis calls a Lucious Stanley run.

Not even a run with his starting RB Parrish, or the two RB apparently in Gattis doghouse, Thad and Rooster. Gattis called a run for walk-on RB Lucious Stanley, from his own 2 yard line.

Brown hadn't attempted a pass so far and FSU was sitting on the run. Stanley gained 3 yards.

On second down, Gattis had so much faith in Jacurri that he pulled him so TVD could attempt a pass. TVD clearly isn't right. Pass incomplete.
Gattis then sends Jacurri back in on 3rd down for a, you guessed it, QB RUN with Jacurri.
FSU was sitting on the run.. again.. but Jacurri still managed 5 yards.

EVERYONE in the building now knows Jacurri = run.

DEJA VU TIME

Now we're down 21-3 to our biggest rival. Once again Gattis sends out Jacurri to start a drive from our own 2 yard line, along with Lucious Stanley. At this point, TVD is too injured to play.

First play of the drive, Gattis calls ANOTHER Lucious Stanley run.

Not a run with his starting RB. Gattis called another run for walk-on RB Lucious Stanley from his own 2 yard line.

Brown still hadn't attempted a pass. FSU was once again sitting on the run. Stanley gained 2 yards.

Second down Gattis leaves Jacurri in for.. you guessed it, a QB run.
This time it only went for 3 yards because even the announcers have started calling the plays predictable.

3rd & 5, Gattis pulls Jacurri so Jake can attempt a pass. With the running QB out of the game, FSU is sitting on the pass. Which gets intercepted.

Gattis had enough faith in Jacurri to send him out him to start 2 drives from his own 2.. twice.. but not enough faith in him to pass on 3rd down?

Fwiw, Jacurri's first pass attempt went for 15 yards.

These were 2 of the worst "drives" I've ever seen.

On the first drive, Gattis put a true freshman in the worst position possible. It wasn't a show of faith seeing as how Jacurri was pulled BOTH times Gattis wanted to attempt a pass.

EVERYONE knew what they were gonna do because it was obvious Jacurri wasn't going to pass. And because of this, his runs had no chance to go anywhere. That's the clearest example of setting someone up to fail in recent memory.

Gattis using Stanley in that situation was criminal.

I don't hate the guy and I understand depth is an issue. Clearly Gattis has issues with Thad and Rooster. But even if that's the case, Gattis still called run plays from the 2 yard line, ON TWO SEPARATE DRIVES, with a walk-on over his starting RB.

And this arrogant ***** *** mf'er has the nerve to scream at players and tell them they're the worst team ever??

This is some crazy ****.
I'm firmly in the camp that believes Ponce needs to go at the end of the season. But at this point, I'm with everyone else. Ponce needs to takeover play calling duties because Gattis needs to TODAY.

Advertisement
How about on the opening drive of the game when he pulled our best player for Jacurri. Again this was before TVD was re-injured.

TVD completed a couple of passes and rather try to let TVD cook a little he says F that. Take him out for the one dimensional freshman.

I love jacurri and he ripped off a big run but that is some of the dumbest stuff I’ve ever seen. Reeks of all of the coaches who think they are geniuses and can run a dual QB system that has never in the history of CFB worked except for the 2007 Gaytors with a future Heisman winner

Good breakdown. Yeah, I think these two series were confusing and frustrating to most of us. I know there was a lot going on with TVD as far as his condition, so I wasn't completely surprised to see Jacurri out there. I didn't know why Parrish wasn't in there.

I think Gattis just has a horrible feel for the game and is overthinking things with the personnel in some of these situations. We were actually lucky with some of the Jucurri runs. Go back and watch most of them. He was met at LOS often and had to break tackles and find creases to gain any yards. I'll give Jacurri this...he runs like a grown man.

the players are just taking pride in ruining gattis's career at this point and I think it's pretty funny

feel bad for the players, but their no screws given attitude is lul worthy

Advertisement
What happened on these 2 drives was so ridiculous that it deserves its own thread.

Coming off the Ivey interception, down 14-3 to our biggest rival, Gattis sends out Jacurri to start a drive from his own 2 yard line. Even though, at this point, TVD isn't thought to be too injured to play.

Not even a run with his starting RB Parrish, or the two RB apparently in Gattis doghouse, Thad and Rooster. Gattis called a run for walk-on RB Lucious Stanley, from his own 2 yard line.

Brown hadn't attempted a pass so far and FSU was sitting on the run. Stanley gained 3 yards.

On second down, Gattis had so much faith in Jacurri that he pulled him so TVD could attempt a pass. TVD clearly isn't right. Pass incomplete.
Gattis then sends Jacurri back in on 3rd down for a, you guessed it, QB RUN with Jacurri.

DEJA VU TIME

Now we're down 21-3 to our biggest rival. Once again Gattis sends out Jacurri to start a drive from our own 2 yard line, along with Lucious Stanley. At this point, TVD is too injured to play.

Not a run with his starting RB. Gattis called another run for walk-on RB Lucious Stanley from his own 2 yard line.

Brown still hadn't attempted a pass. FSU was once again sitting on the run. Stanley gained 2 yards.

This time it only went for 3 yards because even the announcers have started calling the plays predictable.

3rd & 5, Gattis pulls Jacurri so Jake can attempt a pass. With the running QB out of the game, FSU is sitting on the pass. Which gets intercepted.

Gattis had enough faith in Jacurri to send him out him to start 2 drives from his own 2.. twice.. but not enough faith in him to pass on 3rd down?

On the first drive, Gattis put a true freshman in the worst position possible. It wasn't a show of faith seeing as how Jacurri was pulled BOTH times Gattis wanted to attempt a pass.

EVERYONE knew what they were gonna do because it was obvious Jacurri wasn't going to pass. And because of this, his runs had no chance to go anywhere. That's the clearest example of setting someone up to fail in recent memory.

I don't hate the guy and I understand depth is an issue. Clearly Gattis has issues with Thad and Rooster. But even if that's the case, Gattis still called run plays from the 2 yard line, ON TWO SEPARATE DRIVES, with a walk-on over his starting RB.

And this arrogant ***** *** mf'er has the nerve to scream at players and tell them they're the worst team ever??

This is some crazy ****.
I'm firmly in the camp that believes Ponce needs to go at the end of the season. But at this point, I'm with everyone else. Ponce needs to takeover play calling duties because Gattis needs to TODAY.
Best part is he still played Rooster and Thad later anyway so it's not like he was punishing them....he's truly just a moron.

Also, i did read Jacurri broke 8 tackles and got like 3.5 yards per carry AFTER contact which is pretty crazy.... especially given how predictable Gattis was as you just showed. Gattis is truly one of the worst OCs I've ever seen, if not the worst.

Running plays with your back against your own goal line are pretty common

The play after TVD was injured don’t think Garcia had time to warm up so understood putting Brown out there again

Lmao comical at this point…I’m not a film/play caller guy but I already know when the tight end lines up and then motions back towards the oline exactly what play it is..It’s not even we are a ground and pound team it doesn’t matter how many times we throw it…it’s the way Gattis designs and calls the plays that is so dumb it’s so predictable that I can tell the play before it even starts smh

Advertisement

DEJA VU TIME

This is some crazy ****.

I don't think TVD was healthy enough to play. He's got heart and wanted to try, but his AC joint is going to be need 2-3 months to heal. I've got no issue with playing Brown. What an OC can't do though is announce to the D that it's going to be a run or pass play by the QB substitutions.

His play calling is atrocious. However, goal #1 when inside the 5 is to get past the 5 so your punter has room to punt. So two runs in a row is certainly not uncommon. But yah frustrating.

the players are just taking pride in ruining gattis's career at this point and I think it's pretty funny

feel bad for the players, but their no screws given attitude is lul worthy
Gattis payed $500k for his buyout at Michigan. So, I am guessing he signed a 1-2 yr contract for $2 million to come here

Best part is he still played Rooster and Thad later anyway so it's not like he was punishing them....he's truly just a moron.

Also, i did read Jacurri broke 8 tackles and got like 3.5 yards per carry AFTER contact which is pretty crazy.... especially given how predictable Gattis was as you just showed. Gattis is truly one of the worst OCs I've ever seen, if not the worst.

You’re selling him short.

Run
Run
Timeout
Penalty
Pass for 3 yards
Punt

Coming out of half down 28 is the work of a legend...

Advertisement

DEJA VU TIME

This is some crazy ****.
You are missing a positive though...

Miami actually gained yards on run plays. Years past, FSU probably gets 2 safeties.

You are missing a positive though...

Miami actually gained yards on run plays. Years past, FSU probably gets 2 safeties.
My beef isn't with the fact that he called running plays.

Its that he did it with the walk on RB. And that he took Jacurri out to bring in his "passing QB" to attempt a pass, then put him right back in to run again.

He practically told FSU what was coming. Even the announcers called him out for being too obvious, as it was happening.

Drive out of halftime was most frustrating at all. Starts Jacurri, calls 2 extremely predictable basic run plays that go nowhere. Cant get 3rd down call in time / Jacurri not ready, calls timeout. Out of timeout, false start.

Cant make this **** up

Advertisement

DEJA VU TIME

This is some crazy ****.

Yeah I saw us starting on the 2 yard line and already knew we had no shot to do anything. At best we can hit 3 to 4 plays in a row and go 40 yards....maybe two or three first downs and thats it.

Advertisement
Back