Draft Weekend with Duke Johnson

DHucks

Popping popcorn.......
We were invited to spend the weekend with him and his family. Bout to hit the road in a few.

I'll leave this here.

Cassandra Prophet-Mitchell is a saint.

Will keep y'all posted.

[video]https://youtu.be/6u-23jEHkkg[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement
We were invited to spend the weekend with him and his family. Bout to hit the road in a few.

I'll leave this here.

Will keep y'all posted.

that's great. how's the little man? have fun and keep us updated.

Don't overstay your welcome.

I'll leave this here.

Will keep y'all posted.

He's doing good, had food poisoning last weekend, was quite vicious, hospital for a couple of days, but good now.

[MENTION=178]The Dude[/MENTION], trust me, we won't.

Don't overstay your welcome.

I'll leave this here.

Will keep y'all posted.

He's doing good, had food poisoning last weekend, was quite vicious, hospital for a couple of days, but good now.

[MENTION=178]The Dude[/MENTION], trust me, we won't.

Great to hear little man is going good!!!

Advertisement
DHucks,

A heartfelt congratulations to you and your family. I'm thrilled to hear your son is doing better. I have silently followed the threads and videos about him and praying for his recovery. I love Carter's spirit. Seems so happy in the videos that you have posted here.

What a blessing to get to spend the weekend with Duke and family for the draft. I stayed at the team hotel in Shreveport (by chance actually, unplanned), and got to see a ton of players in the lobby of the hotel over the 2 nights we stayed. I have 3 separate pictures with Duke and my 2 kids. He couldn't be a nicer guy. I'm sure I creeped him out too. After one of the pictures, I told him, "It would make you uncomfortable if you knew how much I love you." He laughed. I told my wife afterwards, and she just shook her head, which translates to "I know you love seeing all the players, and you're going to ***** it up by creeping them out when you say stuff like that."

I never posted anything about the bowl game weekend, but the players I talked to were unbelievably polite. I didn't behave like that when I was their age. I probably spoke to 20 players, and all 20 were complete gentlemen. (I know I know, they're all soft and can't win games, bla bla bla). I want the wins probably more than most, but I think credit must be given to the team as far as how they carry themselves, and that comes primarily from their homes and the coaches. Funny story about the game: one of the players missed the buses to the game. I gave him a ride to the stadium. He sat in the front with me while my wife and kids rode in the back so I could talk to him. At 19 years old, he did great answering my 6 yr old's questions, like "do you like hot dogs?"

Anyway, Hucks family, have a great weekend with the Duke. What a privilege!

I live in Dallas and don't care about the Cowboys, but part of me is hoping they take Duke. They have a good OL to protect him, they need a special teams guy, and I could take my kids to see him this summer. Hoping for the best fit possible for Duke.

Duke and Cassandra reaching out to Carter is a class act with sensitivity, Duke is the best!

Advertisement
Hucks, I enjoy your positive posts. Helps me to throttle my negativity surrounding the staff and the administration. I appreciate your approach, its what it is going to take to get this team back to former glory. Thank you.

DHucks,

A heartfelt congratulations to you and your family. I'm thrilled to hear your son is doing better. I have silently followed the threads and videos about him and praying for his recovery. I love Carter's spirit. Seems so happy in the videos that you have posted here.

What a blessing to get to spend the weekend with Duke and family for the draft. I stayed at the team hotel in Shreveport (by chance actually, unplanned), and got to see a ton of players in the lobby of the hotel over the 2 nights we stayed. I have 3 separate pictures with Duke and my 2 kids. He couldn't be a nicer guy. I'm sure I creeped him out too. After one of the pictures, I told him, "It would make you uncomfortable if you knew how much I love you." He laughed. I told my wife afterwards, and she just shook her head, which translates to "I know you love seeing all the players, and you're going to ***** it up by creeping them out when you say stuff like that."

I never posted anything about the bowl game weekend, but the players I talked to were unbelievably polite. I didn't behave like that when I was their age. I probably spoke to 20 players, and all 20 were complete gentlemen. (I know I know, they're all soft and can't win games, bla bla bla). I want the wins probably more than most, but I think credit must be given to the team as far as how they carry themselves, and that comes primarily from their homes and the coaches. Funny story about the game: one of the players missed the buses to the game. I gave him a ride to the stadium. He sat in the front with me while my wife and kids rode in the back so I could talk to him. At 19 years old, he did great answering my 6 yr old's questions, like "do you like hot dogs?"

I live in Dallas and don't care about the Cowboys, but part of me is hoping they take Duke. They have a good OL to protect him, they need a special teams guy, and I could take my kids to see him this summer. Hoping for the best fit possible for Duke.

Great story but keep the ride stuff to yourself that is a NCAA violation for providing extra benefits unless the kid is a walk on.

Go Canes

Advertisement

I'll leave this here.

Will keep y'all posted.

Not sure where they live, but if it is Norland/Carol City take care. Grew up there and it was rough 40 - 50 years ago. Do tell Duke and his mom how much Cane fans love them both. Duke carries himself with a class that speaks volumes about his mom. Four of my siblings graduated from Norland so tell him "Go Vikings" for me.

I'll leave this here.

Will keep y'all posted.

Not sure where they live, but if it is Norland/Carol City take care. Grew up there and it was rough 40 - 50 years ago. Do tell Duke and his mom how much Cane fans love them both. Duke carries himself with a class that speaks volumes about his mom. Four of my siblings graduated from Norland so tell him "Go Vikings" for me.

Duke is going to his Grandmother's house for the draft, according to his Caneshades Radio interview, so it could be somewhere other than his old high school district.

Go Canes

DHucks,

It has been my experience over many decades that most Cane players were a cut above most others. Yeah, we had a few characters, but for all the bad boy image, they seemed gentlemen for the most part-- off the field. Of course, since I grew up in Carol City it is possible my definition of gentlemen could be slanted but I'll stand with it.

Advertisement
Paranos,

Wow, I never even thought of that. I get your point, but it was hardly a benefit. If it matters, which it probably doesn't, he was a redshirt and wasn't playing. And I'm not a booster. That would be crazy if that somehow was a violation. I was basically doing a kid a favor. If I had been at the USCe hotel and the same thing happened, I would've given one of their players a ride.

If that somehow is a penalty, then I have no good feelings for the NCAA. There would be absolutely no way for any school, coach, administrator, or anyone to prevent the "oh, you need a ride; sure" thing from happening.

Unless the NCAA could prove there was some sort of shenanigans giving a player who missed his bus a ride should not be an issue. If it is the organization is wrapped way too tight and even more deserving of the low esteem I have for it.

We will be over 100 miles north of Miami.

Side note, SMD trolls these boards for info.

We're about 45 minutes away. Carter needed to use the bathroom.

Advertisement
Back