Draft Decisions - and Bad Ones - The Cautionary Tale

Advertisement
I would say to this; unless you are paying someone’s bills or their families , you should shut the **** up promptly.

With all due respect
Can’t even imagine the stress, pressure and Bullshyt from friends, family and “advisors “ that some of these kids have to negotiate their lives. So, I will shut the *** up, all due respect given.🙌🏿

Did you really just refer to your own white privilege as its own set of demons and issues?

Are your Birkenstock’s giving you blisters? All that avo toast and kale chips going straight to your canckles? Wtf, that has got to be one of the most pretentiously bull**** things I’ve read in ages.

Seriosly these kids made bad choices, some kids leave early and it’s a good choice, either way it’s their choice, move on and live your life, it’s not like you’re going to do anything to help Mr Yearbys grandma either so stay in your lane and stfu.

Advertisement
'White Priviliege', is bull****. So I really didn't bother reading the rest of it.

Bottom line, these guys make a decision. That decision might be predicated on their families financial situation. Even 600k solves a lot of problems. Growing up, after my Dad left, I can remember my mother not eating from time to time so that my sister and I had plenty to eat.

Our situation improved by the time I was in high school, but if I were a football player and it hadn't; you don't think I wouldn't take the money? In a heartbeat guys.

I don't blame guys for leaving early and taking the money. Frankly if they make it, they can always come back and finish their degree. Too much money at stake to risk injury.

To be honest, I think Joe Jack got screwed by declaring early. But I am not him, and I don't walk in his shoes.

At some point these kids need to understand that nothing other than the nfl projections of where they will be picked should ever enter into their decision to if they leave or not.Other than these evaluations EVERY over projection is coming from people that are looking to get something from the kid.This includes family,close or otherwise,agents buddies,etc.

The NFL Projections are being done by the guys that have the ears of the GMs and the GMs are not going to grab a kid in the first two rounds if their scouts and other scouts of other teams have them listed 2-3 even 4 rounds lower.
I hate to say it but the majority of the CIS scouts and GMs have zero idea as to WTF they are talking about and are making evaluations just like they make evaluations on HS kids, based on a 2-3 minute “ highlight film” which I’m pretty sure are called “highlight films” because they are put together with nothing but “highlights”( please let me know if I’m wrong on this).
Now I know this might come as a shock to some on CIS that think they know better than the 32 GMs of the NFL and the hundreds maybe thousands of nfl scouts but I’m here to let you know that 99.9999999% of you don’t ( I left that 00000000001% cause I do know we have a couple ex-players and coaches on here.)

So as another year goes by with kids all across the USA including UM players making bad,no horrible decisions as to if they should leave for the luxuries of the NFL that most will never see nor ever had the chance to see here they are again. Instead of helping themselves by staying that extra year to improve their skills to get to the NFL to possibly get to enjoy those luxuries or at least that great college diploma that would help them and their family going forward once again they have possibly screwed themselves by listening to people that had only their selfish motives in mind.

Hopefully next year will start the age of where these kids start listening to people that DO have THEIR best interests in mind so THEIR lives will be the ones that benefit from all their many years of hard work rather it be academics or football.

My hope is that this finally comes true cause these kids,youngmen,really do deserve it.

Advertisement
The NCAA should wake up on the draft and early entrants. The NCAA/NFL should have junior prodays
then the player would hear directly from an NFL team what his status is for draft.
not a parent, not an agent not the HC not the position coach but an NFL guy
i think that is the only way to get these guys all potential early entrants not just Canes
what the real deal is for their future.
give player as much info as possible som they can make an informed decision

I would like to think Miami’s current guys would learn from this. But based on the fact that it happens every year I won’t hold my breath.
Except that that assumes that staying one year is the magic elixir that would cause them to go higher. There's no reason to believe that Joe Jackson would go higher next year. The NFL isn't brand new. They see what we see. And if they thought a guy would show dramatically more in another year, they'd assume that potential in their draft decisions this year. In most cases, staying simply means delaying what happened today for another year. It probably doesn't mean a different draft outcome.

There's no basis for saying that Joe Jackson or Travis Homer, for examples, made bad decisions.

Advertisement
Except that that assumes that staying one year is the magic elixir that would cause them to go higher. There's no reason to believe that Joe Jackson would go higher next year. The NFL isn't brand new. They see what we see. And if they thought a guy would show dramatically more in another year, they'd assume that potential in their draft decisions this year. In most cases, staying simply means delaying what happened today for another year. It probably doesn't mean a different draft outcome.

There's no basis for saying that Joe Jackson or Travis Homer, for examples, made bad decisions.

Yeah but these guys clearly need to take advantage of the free opportunity to stick around and get their degree. They’re gonna need it.

How many kids leave early every year? 100. Every one of them thinks they are going to get paid. My guess is only 30% actually do. My guess is Garvin will go early to get paid. He is quicker than Joe Jackson but is going to have a monster season to get picked on the 2nd day.

Yeah but these guys clearly need to take advantage of the free opportunity to stick around and get their degree. They’re gonna need it.
So, if they opted to not play football and just went to school and worked out to prepare for the 2020 draft, this Fall, you'd be applauding the decisions?

Advertisement
Did you really just refer to your own white privilege as its own set of demons and issues?

Are your Birkenstock’s giving you blisters? All that avo toast and kale chips going straight to your canckles? Wtf, that has got to be one of the most pretentiously bull**** things I’ve read in ages.

Seriosly these kids made bad choices, some kids leave early and it’s a good choice, either way it’s their choice, move on and live your life, it’s not like you’re going to do anything to help Mr Yearbys grandma either so stay in your lane and stfu.

wow. the resentment and anger is palpable.

you need a shot of Percocet. might help

Each case is different but I don’t disagree with OP at all.

Joe Jax would have been considered a top tier edge guy going into next season. Provided he performs and improves, probably would be a round 2 pick at worst. How many millions did he leave on the table? At the end of the day it’s his decision and he’ll have to live with the consequences. He didn’t learn from RJ/Norton.

From Miami’s side, Manny needs to find a way to stop these 5th rounders from leaving. It hurts our NFL U reputation and hurts our depth.

yep.

and these guys have worse risk management instincts than **** fuld

Each case is different but I don’t disagree with OP at all.

Joe Jax would have been considered a top tier edge guy going into next season. Provided he performs and improves, probably would be a round 2 pick at worst. How many millions did he leave on the table? At the end of the day it’s his decision and he’ll have to live with the consequences. He didn’t learn from RJ/Norton.

From Miami’s side, Manny needs to find a way to stop these 5th rounders from leaving. It hurts our NFL U reputation and hurts our depth.
I wonder if this will impact Garvin's decision next year. He watched RJ and Joe Jax fall to the 5th and Norton fall to the 7th. Chad stayed however and went early 3rd.

Advertisement
Back